• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Hello all!

I'm traveling to Indianapolis on extended business in the next few days and am especially excited given that I will be able to exercise my right to keep and bear arms in your great state! I am normally not afforded this right as I live in Maryland. :rolleyes:

According to the Indiana State Police FAQ, Indiana accepts all other carry permits, so I'm assuming I'm good to go with my Florida non-resident permit. Handgunlaw.us says my permit is good as well. What would you suggest that I keep in mind relative to carrying while in Indianapolis?

Thanks so much!

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Florida permit is good to go. The only thing I can think of is that some parks in indy are not firearm friendly, as in illegal. I'm sure someone can chime in with more detail on this as I have no experience with the park law.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    :welcome: to Indiana!

I don't live in Indy, but others will certainly chime in to help.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your time here!

Boondock Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Seems like only the "common sense" areas are off limits, schools, airports, federal buildings, etc. As handgunlaw.us understands, it is legal to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. Does this include actual bars, as opposed to restaurants that serve alcohol? Not that I'd carry and have a beer, just trying to cover my butt here. :)

Boondock Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I find it ironic that I can carry a gun, but not an assisted open knife. Any chance a Maryland politician made their way to Indiana for that one? :D

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Seems like only the "common sense" areas are off limits, schools, airports, federal buildings, etc. As handgunlaw.us understands, it is legal to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. Does this include actual bars, as opposed to restaurants that serve alcohol? Not that I'd carry and have a beer, just trying to cover my butt here. :)

You can carry in a bar. If they have a no firearm policy then they can ask you to leave or take the gun to your car, but that is it. As long as you comply with their rules while on their private property you will be ok. Most they can do is tell you to leave. Enjoy your stay in IN.:D

Boondock Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Not quite sure what the question is, but all the knives I carry are assisted openers and they are legal in IN.

I found the following in Indiana code:

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

I carry a Kershaw Leek, and it has a tension/torsion bar that assists the opening of the blade as you press on the "assist" button. I don't know if that meets the definition of what this statute seeks to prohibit, but it did upon my first glance.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If the assist is from a thumb stud or part of the blade it is ok. If it has an actual button as in a switchblade then it is a no no. There are members on here with that same model that carry it. I have two Kershaw assisted openers that are my daily carry. Your Kershaw Leek is good to go. Nice knife by the way!

Boondock Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Thanks for clearing that up, John. I figure even if it is illegal and I get caught using it, I would have significantly bigger problems as my XD has been fired empty and I'm still facing a threat! I'll roll the dice in that instance and whip out the Leek as opposed to being beaten to death with my own gun. :)

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    As long as you don't go a K-12 school (property, not just inside) or one of the gov't buildings with metal detectors (City/County Bldg, State Capitol & Office complex) you can carry virtually anywhere you want w/ your FL permit. "No Guns" signs mean nothing in this state & can be ignored. If you are found to be carrying somewhere and asked to leave, you must do so or face a tresspass charge. Welcome to Indy! There are a LOT of great places to eat at (Yats, St Elmo's, Urban Element, etc.) and see (Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, etc.).

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Also, knife wise, as long as you don't push a button and the blade flys out on its own (ala: switchblade) you are fine. Assised opening is different than automatic. Think of it like semi vs full auto (even though in IN, you could carry a machinegun if you wanted).

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm from MD (Bethesda) and just got back from visiting 2 days ago. You'll like it here :)

Yes, you're good on your FL license. Make sure you follow the rules that both IN and FL have, as both apply while carrying here.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    On what side of town are you going to be staying for an extended period of time? Do you already have accommodations? If you do not, and you'll be on the south side, shoot me a PM, as I may be able to assist.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Take esrice up on that offer!

And to add to what Comp said in post #2:

ALL Indy Parks are "no carry zones".

Doesn't stop the criminals from doing it... But whatever...

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Even though the Indy Parks are 'no carry', I've been told by more than one Park Ranger that if you are otherwise legal, they don't hassle you. Of course you could always run across that LEO who thinks it's strange that a MD resident is carrying in IN on a FL permit & give you grief over that. Conceal it well & it won't be an issue.
    Can't help w/ accommodations, but PM me if you want to hang out w/ a local for a bit. I go out to eat quite a bit & have found a few nice & somewhat unusual eateries.

Top Bottom