• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The important part is to have fun with it. Experiment. And dont let failures get ya. I tried Celery for the hell of it. Didnt even germinate.:dunno: I also laid down 14' of beets. MAYBE 8 seeds actually germinated. :scratch: Thinking it was a bad package as our soil normally does awesome with beets.

I also like to try new stuff. This year it was Quinoa, and I was surprised how well it's done. Right now the plants are almost 3 feet tall and the seed heads are beginning to form. I tried a new kind of white dent corn, but I havn't grown corn in some years and I'm out of practice. Some kind of worm got into the centers and did a lot of damage before I saw it and could dust them with sevin. I still should get a few ears for my trouble. I do white half-runner beans every year on 6-foot trellises and the beans this year look awesome so far. One of my favorite ways to spend a weekend with my wife is picking a couple of bushels, breaking them all and canning them. It's quality time for us.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    I have aprox 40 tomato plants (3 types)and 70 pepper plants (5 types) along with beans, squash, carrots, Sunflowers, and cukes. This year I planted them in a grid system so that i could run a small rear tine rototiller in between and along the rows. What I found was that the weeds came anyway (too close to the plants to till with the rototiller with out damaging the plants). Also wasted a LOT of space. The mulch system as explained in above comments worked well but again I was looking for an easier / better way of weed control. The rows and the "in between" look great for about 3 days, then the weeds really start up again with the freshly turned soil.
    I am using (this week) for the 1st time a herbicide, just to see how well it works in a completely weed free area. Its 100% organic (corn gluten) and the label says its good for 4 weeks of weed control. If it works I'll try it in a larger area and sooner rather than later. Now this product only stops new growth (pre emergence<sp>). so I had to hand weed everything out and mix it into the soil as the product describes. Time will tell.
    In my smaller (4 x 8 ) garden, the tomatoes and peppers are so close together with growth that they have crowded out all weeds. Try what you want learn and do what works in your situation.

Last edited:

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Planting densly and using companion planting in combination with the mulch is the best solution I have found. That being said, one of my gardens is completely overrun at the moment. Funny that corn gluten is a growth inhibitor. Makes you wonder what it does to us when we eat it.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Planting densly and using companion planting in combination with the mulch is the best solution I have found. That being said, one of my gardens is completely overrun at the moment. Funny that corn gluten is a growth inhibitor. Makes you wonder what it does to us when we eat it.

It makes us poop little corn kernels?

Top Bottom