• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbrown84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Southside
    Hello! I just bought my first AR, and have started the seemingly endless quest for the perfect setup...
    The stock setup is a 14.5" barrel, with a pinned and welded flash hider, it's an m4, with the low profile gas block...I'd like to replace hand guards with a quad rail but am curious if I'm stuck with the carbine length quadrail or can I install a longer set of rails over the gas block?

Thanks!
    KB

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Gonna need some pics Kolin.

Is it actually a low-profile gas block or does it have a rail section on it?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Gonna need some pics Kolin.

Is it actually a low-profile gas block or does it have a rail section on it?
    Esrice is right. Need pics. You can't go wrong with a sling, or a new lighter rail. 1st priority is the sling though. Good mount is a magpul ASAP plate.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    First is sights, ammo, sling, and magazines.
    Shoot the rifle. Get to know it.
    Then you can decide if you need the other stuff.

To just start buying stuff without knowing what you need is the best way to end up with a big box of stuff that you end up trying to sell.

And I've got plenty of boxes full of stuff. :):

Last edited:

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    If it is a low profile gas block, you can get free float tubes that are rifle length and extend past the gas block and use flip sights on top. It extends the sight radius to rifle length and looks very unique.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If it is a low profile gas block, you can get free float tubes that are rifle length and extend past the gas block and use flip sights on top.

BUT since he has a permanently attached muzzle device, he would be limited to rail systems that utilize the stock barrel nut, and would have to cut off the Delta ring assembly and front handguard retainer.

karoozin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    I agree with Mvician First is optics, then lots of ammo, sling, and magazines.
    Then the other stuff. By the time your ready for accessories there will be another design available.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I got my first AR last year and thought that I had everything I wanted. Boy was I wrong!
    Like everyone said, get good sling and end plate. I have all Magpul equipment including sling. Hopefully you already have open sights on it, if not you need some! Buy lots and lots of ammo. This is not a very good time to get great prices but check out Palmetto State Armory (PSA), they are running some decent prices on PMC 55 gr .223. Stock up one some mags. PSA is running a sale on packs of 10 steel mags, but I prefer the Magpul mags. Hopefully Cabelas will have they Thanksgiving ammo sale again!
    I have the Vortex Strikefire red dot that I really like. I know it's not an Eotech or AimPoint but it was several $100 less and I like it!
    I just bought a new heavy buffer. I purchased the Spikes Tactical one. It does reduce the recoil some and should help the wear n tear from the short gas system.

sullivmt2015

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Then the other stuff. By the time your ready for accessories there will be another design available.

This is good advice. I agree you should really get comfortable with your rifle and spend some time doing research to figure out what you really want. When I got my first AR I made the mistake of rushing out and getting "accessories" when they were not really what I wanted for the application I was going to use the rifle for. Take plenty of time to figure out what you actually want out of your AR and you will be much happier with the final package.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville

I agree too. It help to go shooting with other AR owners that have a different setup that you. Gives you a change to see what you like and don't like.

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Yeah, wait a bit. I built my first AR like I thought I wanted it but I was wrong. Now I have a box of parts too.

Top Bottom