New TC encore 44mag barrel, or new H&R complete rifle for the same $$, what to do??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Every once in a while I'll get online and try to lookup encore rifle barrels in 44mag that I could use in my state for deer hunting. Today I came across one that after shipping & taxes would be about $350 for a stainless fluted 22" prohunter rifle barrel. As far as I know that's as good as a barrel gets in an encore so it's now exactly apples to apples comparing it to an H&R, but it's in the ballpark.

On the one hand, I hardly ever get out my encore these days and it would be nice to take deer again with the first gun I ever took a deer with in my life. I'll never sell the encore, but I never shoot it anymore because I don't enjoy the 209x50 cleaning or the recoil of it's 30-06 barrel so it might put some new life into an old gun if I bought the new encore barrel. On the other hand, if I can pick up a brand new H&R 44mag for probably less than $250 out the door then it's a fair consideration to weigh that against buying the new TC barrel.

I'm going under the assumption that both the TC barrel and the H&R are going to be equal in accuracy mostly because the 44mag was never meant to be a long range precision round. If you know that one is going to be significantly more accurate than the other please let me know, because I will put sentiment aside for an more accurately performing rifle.

Now, without trying to play favorites between TC or H&R because they both make a good gun, I'd just like to know what you all would do.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I own an H&R in .223 and while it is a serviceable gun, I would not buy another one.

The Encore system is in a completely different universe. My shooting buddy's primary Indiana deer gun is a 12" encore in .44 mag, and at 50 yards, it'll cloverleaf three shots all day long off a rest.

The Prohunter is top of the line for T/C but there are other vendors who can and do cut more accurate barrels. The barrel you found may be a custom shop job. It's certainly not in their current catalog and their custom barrel process has been discontinued for the time being.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    personal preference

I'm partial to the encore platform but I'd price a Bergara bbl for it b4 I'd drop $350 on a short range deer gun.. Or look for one of the Katahdin carbine bbls, used. Long bbl on a .44 mag is kind of a waste unless you're using iron sights and want the extra sight radius.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Encore, the 12 pound h&R trigger is enough reason alone.

In the pistol barrels i would skip to a custom barrel in the 44 mag over T/C also because many of the has a semi forcing cone in the barrel itself.

Match grade machine makes a nice 44 mag barrel. 20" 44 Magnum 1-20 Twist :: Accessories :: Match Grade Machine, Inc.

Notice it is 1-20 twist and you can handload it right out to the lands.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Go with the Encore and if you aren't commited to the 44 Mag, MGM has plenty of excellent choices for PCR barrels. I would definitely go MGM before paying $350 for a factory barrel.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Go with the Encore and if you aren't commited to the 44 Mag, MGM has plenty of excellent choices for PCR barrels. I would definitely go MGM before paying $350 for a factory barrel.

Yeah - they can cut you a .357 Max without the forcing cone - with proper load development you can meet the 35 Rem. Rifle-schmifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lots of great reviews for MGM barrels here, but I went to their website and after I tried to put in the specs to make it similar to the TC PROHUNTER it was right at $500. I'm starting to think the TC PROHUNTER barrel I saw was a fair deal.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Any updated suggestions on places to buy the encore 44mag barrel? I was hoping to find a website with reviews if possible.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I have several Encores and have had quite a few H&R's. Of those two choices, I would buy the H&R if its just for hunting. Your thinking is correct, with the range of the 44 Mag, it doesn't need to be a tack driver. 3-4 moa is probably plenty good for deer hunting and both should do that easily. However, I think there is a better option which is the CVA Scout. I got one last year and it shoots great. Has 1:20 twist barrel so it shoots 300 grain bullets fine unlike the H&R 1:38. Mine cost around $300 and is SS and came with scope base/rings.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Never had a TC Encore but I do have the H&R .44 mag and it is a tack driver out to 100 yards with Hornady XTP. Probably one of my fav guns to shoot with the heavy barrel. No kick, nice and compact for treestand hunting.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I was looking at a H and R in 5.56 and couldn't deal with the trigger.

I found a barrel at MGM in 5.56 and picked it up. It was about $100 more than the H and R.

It shoots great and the trigger on my Contender is smooth as silk. It brakes at just over 3 pounds. It is light to carry and the new barrel put new life in the old girl.

I picked up a 10X scope for it and it is a hoot to shoot. It is very accurate with all the bullets I have tried at this point. I like the Game King 65 gr best.They are made for hunting. The Match King 77gr are very accurate, I can get a .5" group with them at one hundred yards. I am now looking for that ultra accurate load at this point for the 65s.

I have an Encore that I have a 243 Winchester barrel for it and a 358 Winchester barrel for it. It shoots great, very accurate with both barrels. It is much heaver than the Contender so it isn't as much fun to carry but still it isn't unreasonable like some of the bolt guns I have owned. The price on the MGM barrels start at 350. So it sounds like you have a good price on the one you are looking at. May it work as well for you as mine has for me. If that is the way you choose to go.

Top Bottom