New sign outside of Riley Outpatient Center yesterday...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Where do I begin? Riley is affiliated with the anti-gun Joyce Foundation. Throughout the '90's Riley was sending out questionnaires to pediatricians telling them to ask questions like "Do you have guns at home?" and if the parents answered yes to "counsel" them on how dangerous guns are to children and should be removed immediately. The "Indiana Partnership to Prevent Firearm Violence" is based at Riley. Riley has been mired in promoting anti-gun politics for years.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Didn't a gun club do a fundraiser for Riley (or maybe the Ronald McDonald House?) last year? I want to say it was a trap shoot or something like that... Should be a thread about it around here somewhere. How did they reconcile that?

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure about the gun shoot. I hate it's so anti-guns there and security well....they're like like haveing rent a cops (sorry to all LOE's). Riley does not own the land, IU does and Methodist leased the two hospitals to form Clarian. But to get to any of the hospitals you have to go onto a collage campus (I.U.P.U.I), so I think that the law about carring on a collage campus would apply about carrying. I so wish they would change that law. :( Am I thinking wrong on that?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    ...so I think that the law about carring on a collage campus would apply about carrying. I so wish they would change that law. :( Am I thinking wrong on that?

There is no law about carrying on a college campus. It's like anywhere else. The proposed law was to prohibit state colleges from cooking up their own rules.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Where do I begin? Riley is affiliated with the anti-gun Joyce Foundation. Throughout the '90's Riley was sending out questionnaires to pediatricians telling them to ask questions like "Do you have guns at home?" and if the parents answered yes to "counsel" them on how dangerous guns are to children and should be removed immediately. The "Indiana Partnership to Prevent Firearm Violence" is based at Riley. Riley has been mired in promoting anti-gun politics for years.

I had a Dr try to ask me that once. I refused to answer, and she tried to "counsel" me anyway. At that point, I informed her that guns kill far fewer people than doctors do. I had to find a new Dr after that, LMAO!!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You will not likely find a "pro-gun" hospital. It's all about the liability. I will say that there is not a better children's hospital nor a better team of doctors/nurses than at Riley. It's the ONLY place my kids go. My doctors are IU Hostital/Wishard, Again, I get shot/stabbed...only Wishard ER doctors for me.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    My :twocents:

I believe it is the right of the business owner (Hospital or not) to either allow or band guns inside their facility. If you don’t want to obey the rules that particular business sets for its customers then you are more then welcome to take your business elsewhere. With that said I am all for the right to carry and the right to protect yourself if all hell breaks loose, but I also agree every business owner has their own rights. On a side note, if you go into a business OCing (just because you have a permit and have the right to carry) knowing there are signs posted banning weapons on that business’ property just to prove a point your stupid and I hope you get banded and trespassed from that business. On another note, I also fully agree with the “out of sight, out of mind” concept. If you believe your life is in so much danger and you can’t walk into a hospital without having your weapon on you, CONCEAL IT! I do agree there are tons of people out there that think a holstered weapon is a time bomb ready to go off and obviously they know nothing about guns and gun safety. But just because you got your little pink slip in the mail doesn’t make you better than anyone else. There are still rules that need to be followed and if you don’t want to follow them, spend your money elsewhere.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Please don't flame me for this, but could part of the reason why a hospital would have a no guns sign posted wouldn't just mean for to hopes that people will actually listen and not bring guns in. But more or less because they are worried that armed civilians might have an A.D within the facility...?

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Lame

I carry in Clarion West all the time, hell I was OC'ing my 1911 during the birth of my child!

PS, this is when CC comes into play.

I can assure you if you were OCing that it was not very obvious. I have seen the staff at Clarian West make HUGE deals about people carrying knifes and even Uniformed LEO’s carrying their guns inside the hospital, especially on the Materinty Floor. So if you were OCing and one of the staff saw you I can promise something would have been said.

A lot of you guys and gals sound shocked about Clarian’s no gun policy. I know for fact that Clarian has always had the policy but maybe not the signs. Hendricks county and St. V’s has signs posted all over the place for “no guns”, so this shouldn’t be a shock because the way it looks not very many hospitals allow guns inside.

I am a firm believer that you have the right to say no guns in your business or residence. I don’t think it’s smart or very wise because all your doing is unarming the good guys not the bad ones but it is your right. On the other hand “out of sight out of mind”, just don’t complain when you are asked to leave and/or trespassed from the property.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Please don't flame me for this, but could part of the reason why a hospital would have a no guns sign posted wouldn't just mean for to hopes that people will actually listen and not bring guns in. But more or less because they are worried that armed civilians might have an A.D within the facility...?
    That could be part of it. I believe an establishment banns guns for the following reasons:

1. They (meaning the owners, board of directors, etc.) are anti-gun. This is probably the minority.

2. Insurance reasons. Insurance companies are hyper sensitive to ANY risk.

3. Public perception. They don't want the customers offended. Don't want the workers scared.

4. Perception that gun owners unlike police are not responsible.

Right are wrong this is why businesses probably do it.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    <snip>
    A lot of you guys and gals sound shocked about Clarian’s no gun policy. I know for fact that Clarian has always had the policy but maybe not the signs. Hendricks county and St. V’s has signs posted all over the place for “no guns”, so this shouldn’t be a shock because the way it looks not very many hospitals allow guns inside.

<snip>.

But, but hospitals are a place for healing. A safe place. Just like a church they are sacred and nothing bad happens there. :rolleyes:

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    That could be part of it. I believe an establishment banns guns for the following reasons:

1. They (meaning the owners, board of directors, etc.) are anti-gun. This is probably the minority.

3. Public perception. They don't want the customers offended. Don't want the workers scared.

thanks for the info, that actually makes some sense.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    But, but hospitals are a place for healing. A safe place. Just like a church they are sacred and nothing bad happens there. :rolleyes:

Oh I have heard that before. It's the people who sit in the upper offices that believe this :poop: they are not the Nurse's or security personnel that has to deal with the nut jobs that come through the doors. I'm not at all saying I agree with it. Hospital's, especially Clarian West, does not take security serious at all and it's a matter of time before a crazy comes blazing through the doors with a gun shooting anyone and everyone that comes within his sights. They are gonna wish to God that there was a person who was armed that could do something to stop it. It takes Police an average of 5 to 10 mins to respond and a matter of seconds to unload a gun and have several bodies on the floor.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Nothing like being in a large city downtown area, having to parking parking garages, people coming and going at all hours of the night. People receiving care for all sorts of issues, physical and mental. I can't think of a safer place to be (unarmed)???

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

You're probably correct, and I only say probably because I'm not on a board of directors.

Public perception (#3 and #4)... I have to consider that this is like someone who claims he doesn't like BMWs. Mind you, he's never driven one, but a driver in one cut him off once or twice, so he doesn't like them, will never drive one, and in fact wants them banned from the roadways.

As for insurance reasons... If I'm ever in a place that forbids me to carry and I'm injured as a result of their policy, they'll have just bought a claim. The business owner has a right to control what he wants on his premises, but he does not have the right to do so without consequence. Obviously, this does not refer to laws forbidding carry, as you cannot sue the legislature for bad law, IIRC. The business owner has created an unsafe situation, however, and the criminal exploits it. I don't have a "right" to be on his property, but much as a crack on the sidewalk or a slippery floor could be expected to cause an injury which would lead to a claim, so, too, would a criminal attack to which I could not respond appropriately.

With any luck, I'll never have to put that to the test. Not because they're empty words, but rather because I don't want to be the victim of an attack, any more than I want to bust my head open on someone's slippery floor. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom