• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Hey all, new to the forums. I can't believe that I haven't seen this site before hehe. Anyways, I bought a Mossberg 500a w/heatshield and pistol grip. I'm looking for a good deal on a stock for it, but I'm not sure what type is better or what price is good. The one I had in Iraq I just cut the stock off and filed the plastic, soooo I don't know nothin about nothin. I found this deal on ebay from UAG and it's 89 bucks for an AR type stock with shotshells on either side, tac-forearm w/pistol grip, laser, flashlight, and the pressure switches. But I'm not sure if they're a good brand or not. Little help??

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have never done the tactical shotgun thing but I am sure several on here have. Welcome back from Iraq and thanks.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    you have to ask yourself what you, yes you, "need" on said shotgun. On my first 870 I had a knoxx stock, mako 3-rail forend with a vertical grip, ati heatshield, some ghost ring sights, a light / laser combo, breaching choke,..... blah blah blah. Before I mounted the DVD player, wet bar, wifi antenna, and popcorn maker on the side I went out and shot it. I weighed a ton, wouldn't hit a darn thing, and what didn't fall off of it moved around. I picked up my friends totally stock 1300 defender, and learned a quick lesson. Keep it simple. My 870 is currently out-of-the-box stock with a sidesaddle shell holder. I hope you do not make the same mistake.;)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Hey all, new to the forums. I can't believe that I haven't seen this site before hehe. Anyways, I bought a Mossberg 500a w/heatshield and pistol grip. I'm looking for a good deal on a stock for it, but I'm not sure what type is better or what price is good. The one I had in Iraq I just cut the stock off and filed the plastic, soooo I don't know nothin about nothin. I found this deal on ebay from UAG and it's 89 bucks for an AR type stock with shotshells on either side, tac-forearm w/pistol grip, laser, flashlight, and the pressure switches. But I'm not sure if they're a good brand or not. Little help??

Good advise below!!!!
    you have to ask yourself what you, yes you, "need" on said shotgun. On my first 870 I had a knoxx stock, mako 3-rail forend with a vertical grip, ati heatshield, some ghost ring sights, a light / laser combo, breaching choke,..... blah blah blah. Before I mounted the DVD player, wet bar, wifi antenna, and popcorn maker on the side I went out and shot it. I weighed a ton, wouldn't hit a darn thing, and what didn't fall off of it moved around. I picked up my friends totally stock 1300 defender, and learned a quick lesson. Keep it simple. My 870 is currently out-of-the-box stock with a sidesaddle shell holder. I hope you do not make the same mistake.;)

Also, if you really want that collapsible stock, steer clear of the cheapies you find on Ebay. They won't last long and they'll beat you up in the process.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Before I mounted the DVD player, wet bar, wifi antenna, and popcorn maker on the side

:lol2:

Good advice, though; I've stripped a lot of crap off my various guns over the years. Once you stop accessorizing and start actually running the gun, your worldview can change pretty dramatically. ;) Remember, the little things add up. "12 pounds of lightweight gear" is still 12 pounds...

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I have an ATI collapsable stock with a 5 shot side saddle on my Mossberg 500. Other than that it is "stock". I'm pretty happy with it clean and simple.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This is the 500A project gun that I just finished.

Base Mossberg 500A Cruiser Persuader 12 Gauge
    20 Inch Barrel Blue Finish with Heat Shield
    8-Shot Capacity 12 Gauge (7+1) Up to 3” Magnum
    Optional Add-Ons
    • Mossberg Ghost Ring Sights
    • ATI Shotforce Tactical 6-Position Pistol Grip Buttstock
    • ATI Adjustable Cheek Rest
    • TacStar Side Saddle 6-Shot Carrier
    • Of course 12 Gauge Winchester Military Issue 2 ¾” Shells

The only optional item that adds any real weight over a stock 500A would be the sidesaddle populated with shells. I'm pretty sure that this setup would weigh less than the long-barrel, wood furniture version of the Mossberg 500A.

mytac500a.jpg

500tacpov1.jpg

500tacpov2.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Considering your location, go to tacticalshotgunner.com's shop on the east side of Indy and talk to fellow veteran and owner Ron. Look at the Speedfeed and Choate stocks for stocks with PG and the Hogue for a straight stock.

First issue is what fits. While tac guns require no where near the fit of a bird gun, rarely do you hear someone say this gun is too short. Too long is a common problem so when in doubt buy the shorter LOP stocks.

Your biggest issue is the location of the safety and how you want to deal with it. That will drive what stock you prefer. Ron can walk you through it. If I am in there Saturday I will be happy to pontificate as well.

I prefer the Houge youth straight stock on a Mossberg.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    thanks alot for the info. i'll try and get in there tomorrow to look at some options. I don't want to weigh it down with toys, but I think a front grip and a small light with a stock would be more than enough.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Keep it simple. All that extra crap just adds weight. Honestly if someone breaks in, I do not want a flashlight. I do not want them to know where I am. I mean it's not like you are on a swat team! :twocents:

Top Bottom