• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had to attend a brief deposition today and the defense attorney told me as soon as I got there that he had a restraining order against someone and just as a heads up he thought the guy was dangerous. I asked where his gun was, fully expecting him to say he didn't have one. Well, I was wrong. The day before he'd went to Don's and bought himself a polymer cannon. (I explained to him that Don's is probably not his best bet going forward but understood the 'oh poop, I really need a gun right now' moment he had).

Anyways, we got to talking about it and it sounded like the guy on the other end of the restraining order was someone to be worried about. Our friend had never held a gun before Don put one in his hands, so I asked if he wanted a little impromptu class on grip, stance, etc. (Kirk, before you poop yourself I made sure we used the exterior wall, which was stone)

He took to it pretty naturally. Got him into the thumbs forward grip, got his stance reasonable, had him do a bit of dry fire and showed him what to look for to make sure he's not milking the grip or jerking the trigger, etc. Directed him to ITP or BGF for range time, and made a few recommendations on a firearm for his wife.

Takeaways:
    1) Defense attorneys are sometimes people too. Just like me and you. No foolin'.:dunno:

2) I bet this guy never says "we should really have waiting periods to buy a handgun".

3) I bet this guy, even if he was anti-gun before he realized he needed one (and I don't know and didn't ask) he's pretty pro-gun now.

4) 15 minutes of free training can make a huge difference. Not just in how someone actually uses a gun, but how someone PERCEIVES how to use a gun.

Later in the day my family and a co-worker and his family went to my rural property for a day of guns and grilling. His wife and daughter had never shot anything other than a BB gun before. His daughter is a natural. She's a golfer and has solid hand-eye coordination and was nailing bullseyes out of the gate with very little coaching. He's taught her well with the BB gun.

So, anyway, 3 new shooters that I had some tiny part in helping into our world of defensive and sport shooting. I don't know that there's much in life more rewarding than helping to show someone how to be self-reliant.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I hope it never comes to him having to use against this guy. Nice of you to give him the impromptu crash course though. You never know...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I bet you didn't let them shoot the Talo. :D

I did let him dry fire it to show him what a terrible, terrible mistake he made in buying a polymer gun.

Did this guy have a LTCH? Or, I am lost?

He was a private attorney, but I never thought to ask since he was at his own place of business with his name on the door and I figured he was a lease holder on his own controlled property and wouldn't need one.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Wait , what ?

An INGO thread about a LEO doing something nice , actually performing a public service ?

What kinda crap is this ?

I'm sure you broke some kinda law here or trampled some constitutional right !

Were you even wearing jack boots ? Are you a trained , licensed firearms instructor ?

If this stuff gets out it'll spread like wild fire , we can't have cops just going around doing good deeds !!!!

What were you thinking ???

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Wait , what ?

An INGO thread about a LEO doing something nice , actually performing a public service ?

What kinda crap is this ?

I'm sure you broke some kinda law here or trampled some constitutional right !

Were you even wearing jack boots ? Are you a trained , licensed firearms instructor ?

If this stuff gets out it'll spread like wild fire , we can't have cops just going around doing good deeds !!!!

What were you thinking ???

I'm sure he stole a wallet and swept a 5 year old girl to make up for his good deeds! :rofl:

But good on you! The more people who feel like they need guns, the better!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Jeez man , you're just not even trying are you ? :D

trying-is-the-first-step-towards-failure-kids-you-tried-your-best-and-you-failed-miserably-the-lesson-is-never-try.jpg

Top Bottom