• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Odd. Just not seen a good stainless gun have any rust. I must keep my guns way too oily.....:)

I have an old .22 revolver that is nickel and it has some tarnish from age. No rust there either.

CM, in the trade we have a vulgar name for people who can rust stuff, **** finger. Some guys (and I assume women too) can rust anything they touch, others never have a problem. Not sure if that is the case here or not, but even fairly good stainless can rust.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    My guess is that there was some moisture in the wood when the grips were installed and over time that resulted in the problem.
    What some would call "pure" stainless (such as might be used in the food service industry) is actually very soft on the Rockwell scale and would not be suitable for any firearm application.. Carbon is added to make it possible to get the Rockwell in the 30-40 range.. The more carbon, the higher the wear resistance will be but the more likely it is to rust.. It's a balancing act, but if there is enough carbon in the mix to make the steel wear resistant it will also be at the point that it will rust to some extent.. (I'm not an expert but have a few years experience in a tool room working with different steels)
    Like everything else, you can't get with out giving..

On a brighter note. I had to send a SR-22 back to Ruger a couple of months ago and they emailed a return authorization and a pre paid shipper. I had the pistol back in about a week from the time it was sent. Their customer service is outstanding.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My guess is that there was some moisture in the wood when the grips were installed and over time that resulted in the problem.
    What some would call "pure" stainless (such as might be used in the food service industry) is actually very soft on the Rockwell scale and would not be suitable for any firearm application.. Carbon is added to make it possible to get the Rockwell in the 30-40 range.. The more carbon, the higher the wear resistance will be but the more likely it is to rust.. It's a balancing act, but if there is enough carbon in the mix to make the steel wear resistant it will also be at the point that it will rust to some extent.. (I'm not an expert but have a few years experience in a tool room working with different steels)

On a brighter note. I had to send a SR-22 back to Ruger a couple of months ago and they emailed a return authorization and a pre paid shipper. I had the pistol back in about a week from the time it was sent. Their customer service is outstanding.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

I have worked with and around Stainless as well. I have a piece in my shop that has sat outside and never showed a sign of rusting. It is also harder than hammered hell. Might be a blend of some kind.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Every new gun I obtain, gets a good bath/cleaning in Breakfree CLP. If it has removable grips, they come off during said bath, including my SR1911. No problems with rust yet.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in

Not to high jack thread. Mine has plastic grips (from factory). Just spoke with ruger this am tbey are sending return labels.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Guy I know got one of the first Mini 14 stainless rifles when they came out.
    Put it in the trunk of his car, since it was "rust proof".
    When he popped the lid to show us proof he about fainted :)

It did clean up OK.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    **** Finger:

P1000860_zps6d2268f1.jpg

P1000862_zpsde961299.jpg

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Got my two back from Ruger. they changed out both frames. Took a few weeks esp because they are the Freedom isn't free edition. Ruger went so far as to contact Baron's to get new certificates of authenticity because of the new serial numbers.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A number of years ago, Browning had a problem with aggressive rust where the stocks touched. It had something to do with the chemicals in the wood finish they used. A good heavy coat of wax on the metal and the wood was able to keep the problem from getting bad.

Cbabs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Indy
    I sent Rugar my sr22 after a screw popped out after a few months of using it which lead to it scratching the crap out of the inside. The replaced the gun within a week and sent me a bag of rugar goodies! I couldn't believe how fast my gun shop called me to say I had a brand new gun waiting on me.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Yea, who did you deal with cbabs?

I bought a 22/45 threaded and the threads were damaged/out of spec. Sent it back to ruger, and the gun they replaced it with was magnitudes worse.

The supervisor supposedly inspected it. :rolleyes:

The replacement was sent back and I'm sitting here with nothing currently.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Some stainless will rust easier than others. There are versions of stainless that are very very rust resistant.

Exactly. The two main types of stainless steel in the machining industry are austentic and martensitic.

Austentic stainless steel is series 300, many people are familiar with 304SS and 316SS. 300 series stainless steel will not rust and is NOT magnetic. But, it will gall. This class of SS only contains about 0.15% carbon. That is less than one quarter of one percent! Also, these types of stainless are classified in the ISO "M" class, which is the material classification for stainless steel.

Martensitic stainless steel contain a higher amount carbon and is listed in the 400 series, such as 409SS. 400 series stainless WILL rust and IS magnetic. The ISO classification for martensitic stainless steel falls in the upper "P" range, which is the class for CARBON STEEL. Benefits of martensitic stainless are that it is tough, can be hardened and is very easy to machine compared to austentic stainless.

So, in short, stainless can rust!

Firebrick43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2014
    Warren county
    Even 316 will rust. I have seen a propeller shaft in salt water on a 30' sail boat rust in two in 30 days flat. A power cord was in the water near the dock and insulation had failed causing an electrical current causing accelerated corrosion. Sunk 2 boats and severely damaged 5 other before it was found.

Churchmouse, what you have is probably 300 series. 304 and 316 are soft and will Gaul but work harden. When drilling or turn a piece and you don't have lube not push hard enough then it work hardens and gives the appearance of being hard tough metal. 300 series metal rubbing together is a big no no
    303 ss has sulfur to lubricate itself in machining and does ok but you can't weld it

all high strength ss are 400 magnetic or precipitating hardened (semi magnetic) such as 17-7 or 15-5.

Guns are universally 410 or 416 ss or some slight variation that's proprietary such as ruger terhune (a 410 variant) used on most applications and carpenter 465 ( a super alloy) for super redhawks in 480 and 454 casull. Ruger uses the best steels in the industry
    Most other companies use 416 for barrels because it machines easy. Ruger blackhawk barrels are so damn wear resistant it takes 10 time the work to hand or fire lap the barrels compared to other manufactures or even ruger blued guns

300 ss would blow up in a gun.

A lot of time rusting like that is due to grinding regular steel with the same wheels or belt or media blasting in a tank that's been used previously for steel. Or maybe not passivating in nitric acid after machining using carbon steel tooling.

Never the less ruger screwed up but they have the best customer service in the industry and will make it right.

Remember its stain "less" not stain "proof". If you want stain proof send your gun to robar and have them electroless nickel plate it

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    CM, in the trade we have a vulgar name for people who can rust stuff, **** finger. Some guys (and I assume women too) can rust anything they touch, others never have a problem. Not sure if that is the case here or not, but even fairly good stainless can rust.

They are usually gingers also.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A number of years ago, Browning had a problem with aggressive rust where the stocks touched. It had something to do with the chemicals in the wood finish they used. A good heavy coat of wax on the metal and the wood was able to keep the problem from getting bad.

Salt wood in the Superposed from the mid 60s to early 70ss, it was Browning's idea on curing the wood quicker. Some salt wood isn't bad, sand the finish a little, put a good finish on the inside and you're golden. Other stocks ate Superposeds to the point of ruin.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    Call Ruger Customer Service, explain the problem and give them your email address. They will send you an RMA # and a FedEx label with packing instructions. Drop it off at Fedex and they will return it to you very quickly. You will need someone over 21 to sign for the package from FedEx when it comes back.

This here... Ruger has outstanding customer service.

Top Bottom