• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    So.... how many people are going to line up with me to get one of these puppies!

I sent Ruger an email.. what seems eons ago asking for just this very rifle to be made.....

apparently I am not alone.

Ruger® Rotary Magazine 77/357™ Bolt-Action Rifle Models

7405.jpg

Thank you firearm gods, you have cast your eyes of blessing upon your humble servent.

Ya, HOO.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    So.... how many people are going to line up with me to get one of these puppies!

I sent Ruger an email.. what seems eons ago asking for just this very rifle to be made.....

apparently I am not alone.

Ruger® Rotary Magazine 77/357™ Bolt-Action Rifle Models

7405.jpg

Thank you firearm gods, you have cast your eyes of blessing upon your humble servent.

Ya, HOO.

If I buy a bolt-action rifle, I want a bolt action rifle caliber:twocents:

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I'll be in line with you Dom!

I also sent an email to Ruger asking about this rifle about a year ago. You think there will be any chance the chamber could be reamed out for .357 MAX?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Ruger really missed an opportunity to bring back the .357Max and standardizing the chamber sans forcing cone. Could've been a dynamite Indiana deer hammer.

In its current configuration it would be restricted to a range plinker for me. I personally don't feel confident in the .357 mag for deer - but that is more a personal gut feeling and not backed by any on-game experience.

If it's priced like the 77/44 in identical configuation, street price will be more like $600.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Ruger really missed an opportunity to bring back the .357Max and standardizing the chamber sans forcing cone. Could've been a dynamite Indiana deer hammer.

In its current configuration it would be restricted to a range plinker for me. I personally don't feel confident in the .357 mag for deer - but that is more a personal gut feeling and not backed by any on-game experience.

If it's priced like the 77/44 in identical configuation, street price will be more like $600.

The 3 deer I took with my Marlin 1894 357 beg to differ on your opinion about 357 not being an effective caliber. That reminds me that I need to set out some deer steaks for tomorrow night.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    1: you can shoot this rifle at pistol only firing ranges.
    2: 357 is plenty for deer....out of a revolver. It is definatly adequate from a rifle.
    3: its cheap to shoot, and you can shoot cast bullets.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The 3 deer I took with my Marlin 1894 357 beg to differ on your opinion about 357 not being an effective caliber. That reminds me that I need to set out some deer steaks for tomorrow night.

I don't doubt that it is capable in the right hands. I personally prefer something faster, flatter, and with more on-game energy. I want "bang-flop" and nothing less - and out beyond 100 that becomes less likely, especially with my shooting capabilities. This platform feels like it would be an ideal platform and a potential hot seller around here.

How far did your deer go and at what range where they shot?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    2 were DRT and the third made it 30 or 40 yards. It really came down to shot placement. All 3 were taken between 40 and 65 yards according to my range finder.

I was using 180gr Hornady XTP bullets with 2400 powder.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I don't doubt that it is capable in the right hands. I personally prefer something faster, flatter, and with more on-game energy. I want "bang-flop" and nothing less - and out beyond 100 that becomes less likely, especially with my shooting capabilities. This platform feels like it would be an ideal platform and a potential hot seller around here.

How far did your deer go and at what range where they shot?

The deer I've taken with 357 typically make it a total of 10 yards. The 357 is a fine deer killer although the great white hunters of the net usually call it "marginal." This type of talk cracks me up:laugh: It's amazing that the 357 is "marginal" for deer while Inuit hunt polar bear with 223. :dunno:If they think they need a really powerful rifle they will grab the 22-250. But, they value hunting skill over equipment.

As to the Ruger rifle, I won't be in line to get one. It's probably fine, but I possess a 1894c and don't see how the Ruger could improve on it.

Top Bottom