• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Has anyone looked closely at the new Ruger 10/22 rifles? Matte black rough paint and plastic abound. I'll bet Bill Ruger is turning over in his grave. I have to admit that I'm not a big Ruger fan, but I'd be embarrassed to own one of these new offerings.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Has anyone looked closely at the new Ruger 10/22 rifles? Matte black rough paint and plastic abound.

Been that way for awhile now. Sacrificing quality in the name of cost-cutting, as many manufacturers have been known to do. I was even told that the current "stainless" 10/22s just have a spray-on Duracoat-type finish applied, rather than actually being made of stainless steel. :eek:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    IMO 10/22's are great rifles. Remember it is a $200 rifle capable of high rates of fire and rather durable. With that said it is a $200 rifle, don't expect it to be a $500 rifle.

about the SS version, I saw one in Gander a while back and it looked just grey, not sure if it is actually SS but it looked just like the standard with differnt finish.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have to admit that I'm not a big Ruger fan, but I'd be embarrassed to own one of these new offerings.

And if Ruger did not implement cost cutting features there would be 17,897 threads, just on INGO, about how expensive Rugers now are.

"Ruger sure is proud of their new guns"

"No friend of the working man!"

"Greedy Bastards"

"They are Screwing US!"

Etc, inter alia, und so wieter.

BE, I think guys* buy Rugers for the price and for the reason that the guns usually run, not for cosmetics. Just my:twocents:.

*I certainly buy Rugers because of the price. Lot of gun for the money and all that.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "Stainless" 10/22s & new models

Ruger has never made a "stainless" 10/22. They have made a 10/22 with a stainless barrel but the receivers on all of them, except the magnum, are aluminum.

There are some funky finishes on some models. Some of those camo jobs look like contact paper applied by 3rd graders. The coating on the newer receivers is weird stuff. It will flake off the inside but can also be really hard to remove. I had my Charger duracoated and they had a heck of a time stripping it. I don't know what that stuff is but I don't much care for it. The newer trigger groups are some kind of plastic. Probably nothing wrong with that from a structural point of view, I just don't much care for that, either.

For me, the net result is I have a very nice safe-queen 10/22 with a Green Mtn fluted sporter barrel and a custom painted stock with a new plastic trigger group while the older, modified, metal TG is now in my Charger. :)

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I love my 10/22, most fun you can have for the low price. I always thought the price went up because of demand. I mean look at all the conversion kits and other accessories they have for 10/22's.

I have had my 10/22 for over 10 years, it has some sort of weird paint defect on the barrel, but other than that it is in pretty good shape. I have put at least 2,000rds through it in the past month alone.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I have been looking for an older 10/22 for some time now, and the only place I can even find one around my way is Walmart, and its the plastic trigger group version. I want one to throw a suppressor on for this lil beaver problem I have around the lake at my house. If anyone has one they wanna sell PM me !!!!!!

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    I bought one for my stepson about a year ago from Sportsman's Warehouse and the wood is very nice and so is the fit on the rest of the rifle. It looks just as nice as my "old" one from 1986.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I bought a new one for $210 out the door a couple of weeks ago.

It's a new one, it has a plastic trigger and trigger guard, plastic barrel band, and plastic buttplate.

Ruger .22s are cheap. Out of the box, for the most part they function fine, though they lack decent triggers. The first day I had the 10/22 I was taking the dremel to parts of it, before I even shot it. You should see my project 22/45, it's going to be awesome.

A Mark III + $250 or so in parts and labor is still less then a S&W Model 41. Or an Anschutz. Do they shoot as well? No. But they also cost 1/3-1/4 of what one does, and a lot of them can be made comparable.

I also bought two metal barrel bands ($6 each) two metal buttpads ($10) and two metal trigger housings ($22) all Ruger factory parts. I don't even own a second 10/22, but I thought hey, I'll use them at some point.

If you don't like them, fine. But don't bad mouth them either. With some time and a little bit of money, you can turn them into some real amazing shooters.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If you don't like them, fine. But don't bad mouth them either. With some time and a little bit of money, you can turn them into some real amazing shooters.

Can I bad mouth them if I do like them? If you spend $200 for a gun that will consistently hit a pop can at 25 yards and that's good enough, OK. When you improve it to where it will consistently hit the same can at 100 yards, I think you've earned the right to say about anything you want about the factory version. Maybe it's better to just refer to how much room there is for improvement, though. :D

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Can I bad mouth them if I do like them? If you spend $200 for a gun that will consistently hit a pop can at 25 yards and that's good enough, OK. When you improve it to where it will consistently hit the same can at 100 yards, I think you've earned the right to say about anything you want about the factory version. Maybe it's better to just refer to how much room there is for improvement, though. :D

Totally fair, and sorry if I came off a bit argumentative. There's about 10,000 threads like this one going on at Rimfire Central, and I don't get it when people are just going to swap everything else out anyway.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have been looking for an older 10/22 for some time now, and the only place I can even find one around my way is Walmart, and its the plastic trigger group version. I want one to throw a suppressor on for this lil beaver problem I have around the lake at my house. If anyone has one they wanna sell PM me !!!!!!

I have one but it would take 375.00 to buy it. (it's the green one, it has a metal trigger group, sharp claw extractor and a buffer)

10-22blackandgreen.jpg

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    True

True. I frequent RFC myself and the plastic TG was not well received by most of them/us. It just improved the market for the guys who build good ($$$) after-market TGs. The 10/22 will probably always be a foundation upon which some really good guns are built. It approaches the AR15 for availability of after-market parts. Lucky for me, I play with both of them! The difference is my ARs tend to be mostly factory stuff. My 10/22s are all modified. Eight 10/22s, four calibers, one factory barrel, two factory stocks. All started life as relatively cheap (there's 2 magnums in there) plinkers. :)

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    And if Ruger did not implement cost cutting features there would be 17,897 threads, just on INGO, about how expensive Rugers now are.

"Ruger sure is proud of their new guns"

"No friend of the working man!"

"Greedy Bastards"

"They are Screwing US!"

Etc, inter alia, und so wieter.

BE, I think guys* buy Rugers for the price and for the reason that the guns usually run, not for cosmetics. Just my:twocents:.

*I certainly buy Rugers because of the price. Lot of gun for the money and all that.

You are probably right. I used to own one of the stainless 10/22's. It always functioned, but I hated the trigger and could not get squirrel hunting accuracy out of it. I could have upgraded it with a new barrel, etc. I ended up selling it to a guy who collects 10/22's. I ended up with a used Savage/Anshutz and put a Leupold scope on it. I ended up spending about the same money had I upgraded the Ruger. I guess I'm just a gun snob.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Bottom line

I think one of the most overlooked aspects of 10/22 ownership (AKA 10/22itis) is the enjoyment you can have from changing a nice looking little .22 that shoots OK into a really beautiful little .22 that is an absolute tack driver. And..........you can do it all with a screwdriver, an allen wrench, and a checkbook.

Making golf clubs didn't make me a better golfer. Loading ammo doesn't make me a better shooter. Modifying 10/22s doesn't make a gunsmith. However, using stuff I assembled is a lot more fun.

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, why even buy a 10/22 if your not going to customize it at some point. In that case all you keep out of the original 10/22 is the action, so as long as they haven't started making those cheaper with less quality materials (can anyone answer that quickly?) then a custom build today will be just as accurate as one 5, 10, or 20 years ago.

There are much better .22's just above the price range of the 10/22 if you want one to keep and shoot out of the box.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You have to remember that there are more than one 10/22 variants straight from the factory, don't like the entry level "all-weather" offering? well then step up to one of the nicer walnut or laminate stocked Deluxe Sporters or Target models.

You can pick from a horde of various offered models.

Rifle
    10/22RBT
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Revolution "Tundra"/Black LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-CIII
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:20"Stock:Altamont French Classic DeluxeRear Sight:FoldingSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-CL
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Altamont "10/22 Classic L"Rear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-CII
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Walnut/Straight GripRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22CRR-BBZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:16 1/8"Stock:Black LaminateRear Sight:FoldingSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22CRR-PBZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:16 1/8"Stock:Purple/Black LaminateRear Sight:FoldingSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPFCAAP
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Synthetic w/ Realtree AP CamoRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPFCAGD
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Synthetic w/ Green Digital CamoRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPFTB
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:SyntheticRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-BBZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Black LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPFTBRD
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Black SyntheticRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    K10/22DSP
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:American WalnutRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-PH
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Pink Hogue® StockRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    K10/22RB-PH
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Pink Hogue® StockRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22CRR-PZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:16 1/4"Stock:Pink LaminateRear Sight:FoldingSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22-T/RHG
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:20"Stock:Red Hogue® OverMolded™Rear Sight:NoneSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-BLZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Blue LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    K10/22RB-BLZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Blue LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPFCABD
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:SyntheticRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPFCA
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Mossy Oak Breakup CamoRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPFCARH
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Synthetic CamoRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-PZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Pink LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    K10/22RB-PZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Pink LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    K10/22-USST
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:20"Stock:Red-White-Blue Lam."Barracuda"Rear Sight:NoneSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RB-C
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Walnut/Straight GripRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive

Rifle
    10/22CRR
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:16 1/8"Stock:HardwoodRear Sight:Adjustable, FoldingSuggested Retail Price:$ 307.00
    Rifle
    10/22-T
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:20" BullStock:Brown LaminateRear Sight:NoneSuggested Retail Price:$ 485.00
    Rifle
    10/22DSP
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:American WalnutRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:$ 355.00
    Rifle
    10/22RB
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:HardwoodRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:$ 269.00
    Rifle
    10/22RB-JZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Jacaranda LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    10/22RPF
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Black SyntheticRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:$ 269.00
    Rifle
    K10/22-T
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:20" BullStock:Brown LaminateRear Sight:NoneSuggested Retail Price:$ 533.00
    Rifle
    K10/22RB-BBZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Black LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    K10/22RB-JZ
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Jacaranda LaminateRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:Distributor Exclusive
    Rifle
    K10/22RPF
    blank.gif
    Caliber:.22 LRBarrel Length:18 1/2"Stock:Black SyntheticRear Sight:AdjustableSuggested Retail Price:$ 318.00

Top Bottom