• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I did a little follow-up on this. Both the heavy and light versions are plagued with the same affliction at this point. The only way around it that I can see is to design more rugged/durable optics. If any of you get one, put an optic on it, shoot a few hundred rounds and let us know how your optic does. It's the bold slam forward that seems to do it (not rearward).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    FWIW, my source is someone whose has been and is currently involved with the weapon system development and testing.

Here's a pic of me with a SCAR from over 2 years ago at an undisclosed location (sufficiently anonymized).

http://i32.tinypic.com/iw4sc1.jpg

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I did a little follow-up on this. Both the heavy and light versions are plagued with the same affliction at this point. The only way around it that I can see is to design more rugged/durable optics. If any of you get one, put an optic on it, shoot a few hundred rounds and let us know how your optic does. It's the bold slam forward that seems to do it (not rearward).

I got to handle Pat's SCAR-16S in class today, and we discussed this issue at some length. He said the military SCARs have been "eating" AN/PEQ-15 visible/IR laser units and Insight white lights, and the cause (as you suggest) has to do with the way the gun recoils, rather than the amount of recoil. Much like how an airgun can destroy a scope designed for centerfire rifles. He did not mention any issues with optics (ACOG, Aimpoint, etc) on the SCAR, however. Pat has put a documented 1854 rounds through his -16S with the Aimpoint Micro in place and it is still ticking.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Right, "eating" is a good word and the harmonics are a big factor (if not THE factor). My understanding is that it's been eating various optics as well as lasers, however. I'll pass the information about the Aimpoint Micro along to the appropriate folks. Thanks.

Frankly, I'm more excited about the HK MR556/MR762 being available sometime this year (hopefully, fingers crossed).

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    So how about a couple week bump? Anyone heard anything?

Kel-Tec RFB? There is one for sale on gun broker right now.
    How about the HK line?
    The magpul Massoud?

Dare I mention the ACR?

Is there a good place to keep an eye on such things? I fugure INGO is as good as most.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    According to Small Arms Review this month the HK416 has been released as the MR223, but per US & German law three changes had to be made from the HK416's original design to make it legal to be exported/imported:

1. Rear takedown pin was moved 6mm to the rear preventing installation of the 416 upper.

2. A protrusion in the chamber preventing a AR-15/M16 bolt from working.

3. Addition of a flash hider on the MR223.

They go on to say that the FN SCAR will be released in an almost identical version of the military version except it will be semi-auto and will have an 18" barrel with flashider. It is expected to retail for $2499.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The SCAR's are for sale on gunbroker but I haven't seen the HK's on there yet.

I have HEARD that these will be coming out for a while. I have only seen the SCAR.

On a side note Sig is supposed to release their .223 DMR rifle. It looks sweeeeeeeeeet.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    AS far as the ACR is concerned Bushmaster/remington ( diffrent branches of the same comopany) are orking ith magpul, they have decide that it is better to wait and deleiver a great product then rush it our half ass. A groupd I frequent on facebook is constantly updated by a magpul office employee, several members of the group in the colorado area have meet with thes man and he has even given us a few free samples of PMAGS, and just sent a stock to one of the group members for testing. He takes lots of abuse on teh vaporware front, but assures us, that when the ACR hits the market it ill be worth owning.

Top Bottom