• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I stopped by Pelchers Shooter Supply in Lansing IL today. they've been pretty busy there lately - moved the store over to unit to the north @ least 4 times bigger than the old one and are a couple of months away from completing their brand new indoor pistol range. It wil be nice to have another place to shoot nearby. Dan T

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Hmm that might be really nice. I used to live right down the street in Munster but only stopped in once. Was looking for a LPK but they didn't seem to have a very good inventory. Hopefully a bigger shop will mean more stocked items.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I live in Munster, my dad lives in Lansing. We've been stopping in there for a few years now, and they've been talking about that "range" for some time. It has been all talk. Their main goal was to move out of the small space they were originally in. They did that. I don't think they make enough money off of their transfer fees from Cabela's to afford an indoor range. A co-worker is looking into building one in Highland. He told me that just exhaust and EPA requirements are out of this world. I hope to see one in Lansing, I doubt it will ever happen.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I don't think they make enough money off of their transfer fees from Cabela's to afford an indoor range.

Cabela's sends 90% of their IL transfers to Pelchers, but I agree. Not nearly enough to open a range. I looked into it a few years ago, it's not a profitable notion. I don't know how the current ranges stay in business.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Cabela's sends 90% of their IL transfers to Pelchers, but I agree. Not nearly enough to open a range. I looked into it a few years ago, it's not a profitable notion. I don't know how the current ranges stay in business.

Suspect that the current indoor ranges (deb's for example) maybe got a grandfather clause to not have to deal with all the epa stuff? :dunno:

As for the super secret place in highland. Oohhh would it happen to be on rigid road where there **was** an indoor range at one time and the stuff (equipment) is still there on the 2nd floor but now the buld is a real estate office on the 1st fl and empty on the 2nd?

Location is very close to cline.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Very close...seriously...but no. All that range stuff was taken out of there.

Hum... are you sure? The source i talked to said it was all still there.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Suspect that the current indoor ranges (deb's for example) maybe got a grandfather clause to not have to deal with all the epa stuff? :dunno:

I think you're right. There's no way Deb's could afford to pay the EPA at today's prices. I think environmental regulations are part of the reason why that new range isn't opening in Valpo.

On a slight derail, I wonder if Chuck left his range intact when his gun store in CP got forclosed on...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Chuck didn't get foreclosed on... he moved and went into a different line of business... I noticed the for sale sign was pulled off of there a couple weeks ago when I was down in the square... I'll find out if it's there still but Crown Point has a local ordinance against opening a firing range in town which was put in place after Chuck put his in there.. Also the parking down there is terrible... I was looking into a location in Schererville but not enough investors interested at this point...

You know thier lined out the door sometimes over at Debs and she had to work within EPA requirements just like any other range would have too... That is why you can't shoot lead bullets in her range as I think her ventilation system doesn't qualify for lead content like Blythes new range does...

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Chuck didn't get foreclosed on... he moved and went into a different line of business... I noticed the for sale sign was pulled off of there a couple weeks ago when I was down in the square... I'll find out if it's there still but Crown Point has a local ordinance against opening a firing range in town which was put in place after Chuck put his in there.. Also the parking down there is terrible... I was looking into a location in Schererville but not enough investors interested at this point...

You know thier lined out the door sometimes over at Debs and she had to work within EPA requirements just like any other range would have too... That is why you can't shoot lead bullets in her range as I think her ventilation system doesn't qualify for lead content like Blythes new range does...

Thanks for the clarification. I knew Chuck around 10-12 years ago. I know he moved to Arkansas or Oklahoma or something, but I didn't know the details surrounding the departure.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I used to go into Larry Pelcher's store all the time around 25 to 30 years ago. He was in the same building he's in now, but in the bigger store front on the end closest to the police station. Is that where he's moving to?

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    jb yes that is correct - mancinos was the north tenant years ago then some politician
    now Larry remodeled it and moved the store in that space, the old space being refurbed for a range - they even did some exterior work too. They seemed pretty excited about the air handler were working on getting the steel installed in the ceiling............. we'll see in a couple of months how it turns out

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Ya, I wouldn't go to Illinois to shoot guns at a range... You can transport unloaded and secured across the state to another location but not into the state... atleast that is the way I read it...

Plus I think you got to be carefull what you take through thier state too...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How does someone from Indiana go to Illinois with weapons and not get them taken away in Illinois?:dunno:

you can't - you have to drive in from Iowa :)

Ya, I wouldn't go to Illinois to shoot guns at a range... You can transport unloaded and secured across the state to another location but not into the state... atleast that is the way I read it...

Plus I think you got to be carefull what you take through thier state too...

INCORRET BOTH OF YOU.
    THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT APPLY TO THE CHICAGO OF CITY![1]

From the IL police state website:

How do I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
    In order to comply with the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act, when transporting a firearm, it must be:
    1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. not immediately accessible; or
    3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card.
    For a list of other commonly asked questions on transporting firearms in Illinois, please refer to the Transport Your Firearm Legally brochure available on our website.

If the place in IL you are going to legally allowed you to have a weapon with you then you are OK.

Say you are going to the ISRA range in Kankakee (About The ISRA Range) from Indiana.

1) Are you legally OK to have guns at that range?
    YES - no local law against it (we will assume you are a member of guest of member that day)
    2) Transport your weapon per the steps above
    3) Get to the range, enjoy your time repeat step 2 to get out of IL.

[1] Weapons are illegal inside the city of Chicago for all visitors. Residents of the city may own a handgun/long gun and keep it inside the house (at all times) if it is registered with the city. No other exception allowed.

Would I personally go into IL for gun related stuff. NOPE!

Top Bottom