• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Australian Cattle Dog aka Blue Heeler- true to his breed, is very intelligent, curious, and full of energy and orneriness. I will be training him the usual basic obedience, but I think we'd both benefit from some fun training. Looking for some ideas for tricks, exercise, and other stuff. I have seen some of the videos of dogs doing dance routines with their owners, that might be fun. any ideas?
    picture.php

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We've been working on "fetch". He thinks he's a mountain goat and likes to jump and climb a lot. We've only had him a week, and he already figured out how to get from the back steps to the glass-topped patio table, so we had to move that. I did think about agility, but preferably it would be something i could do at home, with minimal equipment. We could probably build a few things. We live in town, but have a good-sized yard, and live close to a park and trails.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Good looking pup!
    I'd just stick with the basics for now. Get a good solid foundation before you move on to the advanced stuff.
    Frisbee or agility would be great down the road.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    I highly recommend you look into training at First Friends K-9 in Fishers. They have an amazing basic puppy program...and then fun agility training available afterwards! Bruce does a great job!

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Beautiful pup!!Frisbees are good. My mom has a Heeler- Jack Russell mix that needs doggie downers, just a bit (aka a lot) on the hyper side, but very smart! She loves the Frisbee, balls, Kong chews... I agree with starting with Basics now, but agility training/ obstacle courses are good ideas. Good luck!

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rayne is a great looking Pup!

I'll bet he's having a blast out in the new snow. When the snow clears make sure to get a proper collar and leash for him and teach him to calmly walk with you. Also it's very important to get him socialized around other dogs as soon as you can.

Invest in a good "large" inside dog crate ( doggie condo ) for him. Crate training an active dog like yours is important. When they are over active or out of control, a 10 minute break in the crate allows both you and your dog to calm down. And the open crate will become his domain to retire to and sleep in.

I've learned a lot from watching the Dog Whisper show on Discovery. Caesar is very good and his methods of training do work if you follow his plan.

Good Luck training Rayne Cindy.

TK

bough1221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I'm not sure if you are a hunter or not, but I have heard about people training their dogs to find sheds which would be a good opportuinity to spend some time in the woods with your pup.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    A very good book to read is "A family dog" by Richard A. Wolters. One of the best basic training books Ive seen. He also has other training books that are worth the time to look at.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Book recommendations are great! I read a lot. I've read quite a few dog training books over the years, but there are always new ones with new info and ideas. Dog training has come a long way since the rolled up newspaper days! this guy is so smart and alert, and constantly watches me, which is good. But I think smart= ornery, bratty puppy! My best dogs have always been the ones that were hellions as pups and caused me the most trouble.
    We have been putting him in a crate at night and when we aren't home. He's been doing well with that, and can "hold it" for 4-6 hrs. That means one of us has to get up at night if we don't want a mess to clean up. Luckily, i work close by, and can come home at lunch. We also have a big kennel inside our fenced-in yard. Right now, we are keeping Rayne and our older dog, Chopper, apart, until they get to know each other better. I have hopes they can eventually play together (always with supervision), but if not, we can work it out, between the crate, kennel, garage and house. Right now, they are just sniffing thru the fence, Rayne barks, and then Chopper ignores him.
    I'm a long way from Fishers. I'm definitely no dog expert, but I have taken some of my past dogs to obedience, and have been training dogs off and on since the 70s. I've always been interested in dog training. I'm not a hunter (yet), but my grandpa was, before i was old enough to go, and I loved reading his hunting dog training books when i was a kid. I plan to do the basics myself, and try to get him socialized.
    He is doing really good at "fetch". Brings me his toys and drops them for me to throw again. We are working on leash training and "sit".

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Rayne is a great looking Pup!

I'll bet he's having a blast out in the new snow. When the snow clears make sure to get a proper collar and leash for him and teach him to calmly walk with you. Also it's very important to get him socialized around other dogs as soon as you can.

Invest in a good "large" inside dog crate ( doggie condo ) for him. Crate training an active dog like yours is important. When they are over active or out of control, a 10 minute break in the crate allows both you and your dog to calm down. And the open crate will become his domain to retire to and sleep in.

I've learned a lot from watching the Dog Whisper show on Discovery. Caesar is very good and his methods of training do work if you follow his plan.

Good Luck training Rayne Cindy.

TK

Agree with all of that, and working on most of it. I like Dog Whisperer too.
    My in-laws have a Jack Russel/Chow mix, and I would have thought that would be a disaster, especially since they don't have much dog experience, but she has been great for them.
    Yes, Rayne has been zooming around in the snow! I missed his first time, I had to work, and hubby got to see him play in it for the first time. He said it was funny. If we get lots of snow, i like to put on my Carhartts and play with the dogs.

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    I will second the First Friends recommendation. Bruce does an amazing job, just don't let first impressions scare you off. He's kind of like a rottie, big bark and scary looking at first but once you get to know him you'll see how much he cares.

Top Bottom