New program launching in Indianapolis to provide safe place for people living in cars

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    What struck me is that Ryan was 'paying rent' until his hours were cut at the fast food restaurant. He's been living in his car for four months so we can guess he's been on a reduced work schedule for at least that long. I'm sure his circumstances are far more complicated than what's depicted in a short news piece. Google says the average fast food worker in Indiana makes $16.88/hour. Ryan makes $15.50.

The story is about the parking places but I have questions for Ryan regarding his short-term and long-term employment decisions.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There's a guy who regularly parks his car at our church and sleeps there. He parks there probably 60-70% of the time. He simply wants to live in his car. We saw him living in his car as the primary problem. He does not. However, we have helped him out with various things over time like food and such. During the "polar vortex" last year, we came up with solutions for him to sleep indoors, but he doesn't want to. We ended up running an extension cord for him and setting up a safe small space heater. He comes to our church services regularly. We even sat down with him to help him come up with a resume' and fill out job applications. He now has a job, but still wants to keep sleeping in his car.

Sometimes all you can do is meet people where they are and help them in ways they will accept. I don't think there's a possibility of him living a "normal life" as we may define it. In his case, it's him, not the economy.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    There's a guy who regularly parks his car at our church and sleeps there. He parks there probably 60-70% of the time. He simply wants to live in his car. We saw him living in his car as the primary problem. He does not. However, we have helped him out with various things over time like food and such. During the "polar vortex" last year, we came up with solutions for him to sleep indoors, but he doesn't want to. We ended up running an extension cord for him and setting up a safe small space heater. He comes to our church services regularly. We even sat down with him to help him come up with a resume' and fill out job applications. He now has a job, but still wants to keep sleeping in his car.

Sometimes all you can do is meet people where they are and help them in ways they will accept. I don't think there's a possibility of him living a "normal life" as we may define it. In his case, it's him, not the economy.
    A lawyer with a heart?

I have seen it all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Not being critical of you and or your generous church followers. How much is this enabling though?

Like other addicts of unhealthy behavior, they often don't understand because us good hearted folks cannot find the nads to tell them "NO."

"NO" for their own good and for the good of society...

1727385927666.png

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I agree, this is the only answer I see but I suggest splitting the Indigent farms into two facilities; one for those who can pass a drug test and one for those who can't. Hardcore addiction rewires the brain. The motivations and behaviors of these two groups are very different.
    I completely agree.

The sad part is some of the mentally ill with therapy and meds could be productive citizens. IMO they are sick just like a physical illness.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Many choose to live mobile and it is much more common in the west of the Mississippi River. One search of you tube for van life or rav life or Subaru life even Prius life will show you it is fairly common. It is not just homeless but homeless by choice.

"The rent is to damn high."

I have lived mobile but it was a traveler thing always.(IBEW 481) I had a home or a parents home as a base station. A truck or van normally (van was often just an older work van.) The company often had to pay a per diem of 100-200 dollars a day and based on Monday-Thursday away from home that was up to 800 a week extra. An extra 800 a week upgraded travel vans quickly and we bought an airstream or two over the years. (An airstream in Las Vegas summer is brutal.

Often slept in a local workers driveway )electric and water from and extension cord and hose) or sometimes at the job site. Other times it was a state park or where ever the bar was we drank at that night. Gym membership for showers. I rarely slept on the street but did at times. Never got run off by cops but did once from hoodlems.

Now I still travel like this but have it down. (Wife hates it but I still like it.) The whole van lifers have made it much harder to do in nice cities but I mai ly go where cell phones don't connect and that makes it easy. Nobody goes to those places anymore.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Many choose to live mobile and it is much more common in the west of the Mississippi River. One search of you tube for van life or rav life or Subaru life even Prius life will show you it is fairly common. It is not just homeless but homeless by choice.

"The rent is to damn high."

I have lived mobile but it was a traveler thing always.(IBEW 481) I had a home or a parents home as a base station. A truck or van normally (van was often just an older work van.) The company often had to pay a per diem of 100-200 dollars a day and based on Monday-Thursday away from home that was up to 800 a week extra. An extra 800 a week upgraded travel vans quickly and we bought an airstream or two over the years. (An airstream in Las Vegas summer is brutal.

Often slept in a local workers driveway )electric and water from and extension cord and hose) or sometimes at the job site. Other times it was a state park or where ever the bar was we drank at that night. Gym membership for showers. I rarely slept on the street but did at times. Never got run off by cops but did once from hoodlems.

Now I still travel like this but have it down. (Wife hates it but I still like it.) The whole van lifers have made it much harder to do in nice cities but I mai ly go where cell phones don't connect and that makes it easy. Nobody goes to those places anymore.

Top Bottom