• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Are the doors bullet resistant? If not how about claiming severe claustrophobia and shattering the door to get out? Or suing on that? Severe mental anguish for being locked in a enclosed space. Hell my sister in law can't ride a elevator because of it, if she got locked in she would freak the hell out.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I recently walked into the Huntington on Rockville Road for the first time in many months and saw their new security system. I immediately went back to my car and went down the road to another bank.

Today I shipped off three letters (printed on pretty paper and everything). One to Mark Thompson, Senior Executive Vice President - the SVP in charge of physical branch security, and a copy each to Michael W. Newbold, Regional Manager for the Central Indiana Region and Stephen D. Steinour, Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer.

In the letter I explain to them why I am working to refinance my loan through another company and will be closing all of my accounts soon.

FWIW.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I recently walked into the Huntington on Rockville Road for the first time in many months and saw their new security system. I immediately went back to my car and went down the road to another bank.

Today I shipped off three letters (printed on pretty paper and everything). One to Mark Thompson, Senior Executive Vice President - the SVP in charge of physical branch security, and a copy each to Michael W. Newbold, Regional Manager for the Central Indiana Region and Stephen D. Steinour, Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer.

In the letter I explain to them why I am working to refinance my loan through another company and will be closing all of my accounts soon.

FWIW.

Good for you! Keep us informed of of any response please...

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    as soon as I get back from my semester abroad, I am closing out my account at huntington, SOLELY due to the feeling I get when I go to a branch. I worked at a factory, busting my ass 730-1530 every day, then working 3-5 nights a week at an ice cream shop on top of that. I'd get my checks from the ice cream place on Thursday and deposit them on my way home Friday. the sports car I bought with busting-my-ass money sits below the drive-through window, and I don't feel like opening my sunroof and standing up.

the last straw was being forced to remove my steel toe work boots in order to get into the bank. I decided that I would make a show of it, and put them on the counter when I got there (after a shift (a whole summer's worth) outdoors painting in 97° heat, they stink pretty badly) and smiled when the lady asked how my day was. I took a seat and started lacing up my boots and told her it was pretty good up until a minute ago. her reply was "don't you want to feel safe?" I told her "the second amendment keeps me perfectly safe," and she replied "the second amendment doesn't do much good if there's a gun to my head, now does it?" I want to feel safe, yes, but not at the expence of being treated like a criminal.

this bank does not deserve my business, and if I had enough time to open a new account and get a new card in time to go to Europe, I would already be at another bank with my business.

I encourage you to do the same. the administration of Huntington CLEARLY does not respect the second amendment and, by extension, the rule of law in this country.

as for anyone who was talking about the strength of those doors... my parents work for BEST lock and Key. my mom wrote the manuals for security systems much like what they have at Huntington branches. those doors will not open unless they push the switch. the Plexiglas is about an inch thick, which is up to the industry standard for bulletproof. nothing short of heavy machinery will get through them.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I went in to a huntington bank on the indy east side the other day, and honestly had not been there in awhile. They now have one of those vault like lock doors that only one person can pass through at a time, door has to shut and then they open the other door. There was a sign posted before entering the room that said something to the effect of those with weapons won't be allowed entrance. I don't know if they have some form of xray or just a metal detector in there, but there is no where to put your keys or belt, so I don't know if it was just a warning or if they do have a way to scan for one. I went back out to the car and went through the drive up. I apologize if this has been discussed before. Has anyone went through/tried to pass one of these with their firearm? I understand the bank would have the right to trespass you if they caught you, but then again they'd be losing a customer. The whole thing caught me off guard.
    I wouldn't punish the bank for it. It's the bank robber making things difficult for you.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i have noticed they will let you thru with a knife though at washington street in the cumberland area... atleast this time last year you could.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I wouldn't punish the bank for it. It's the bank robber making things difficult for you.
    The robbers are certainly responsible for the crimes they have committed, but they didn't choose Huntington's response.

Huntington Bancshares Incorporated is the sole entity responsible for the policies they have put into place in their branches. There are a lot of alternate options for dealing with bank branch security in high-risk areas. They have chosen one that is extremely offensive to me and it is entirely appropriate that they deal with the consequences.

I believe we are punishing the correct party.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The robbers are certainly responsible for the crimes they have committed, but they didn't choose Huntington's response.

Huntington Bancshares Incorporated is the sole entity responsible for the policies they have put into place in their branches. There are a lot of alternate options for dealing with bank branch security in high-risk areas. They have chosen one that is extremely offensive to me and it is entirely appropriate that they deal with the consequences.

I tend to agree. This whole "punish all" or "zero tolerance" response is ludicrous and lazy.

Bad guy has gun, so all gun bad....ugh! :rolleyes:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO

They also have the responsibility of protecting the lives of the customers and their money and employees. The robbers don't choose the banks response, they force it. All banks should have armed security that is paid a respectable wage as so should good LEO's.
    The current system is set up to stop the bg, not you. Your just a victim of the bg's actions/ intensions. I wouldn't take it to harshly. Maybe eventually they could come up with a system that could allow you to scan your LTCH permit that would allow you access.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    They also have the responsibility of protecting the lives of the customers and their money and employees. The robbers don't choose the banks response, they force it. All banks should have armed security that is paid a respectable wage as so should good LEO's.
    The current system is set up to stop the bg, not you. Your just a victim of the bg's actions/ intensions. I wouldn't take it to harshly. Maybe eventually they could come up with a system that could allow you to scan your LTCH permit that would allow you access.

Would you be OK with a total gun ban if the powers that be decided they were "forced" into it by the actions of the BG's who use guns? I mean, doesn't the government have more of a responsibility to protect the people than your friendly neighborhood bank? :dunno:

If they are that concerned about the safety of their customers they wouldn't force them to disarm in the parking lot & be vulnerable as they make their way into the bank. But really, why should they care? At that point it's your money & life on the line not theirs.

The bank can do what it wants but nobody forced them to do anything. They're the ones who should have to accept the repercussions of their decisions.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

They choose their response, I choose to take my money to a friendlier establishment... :D

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've had most of our bank's employees in my classes at one time or another. I take my dog into the bank daily, not to mention the gun on my hip.

+2 for small town banks !!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you think that is bad, I got stopped in the National City at 52nd and Georgetown and because I wasn't in uniform they wanted me to leave my weapon in my marked car parked out front. Ah no. They lost a customer of 20 years

So. How did that make you feel?

Oh, and Welcome! :ingo:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    They also have the responsibility of protecting the lives of the customers and their money and employees.
    I'm not second guessing their motives, I'm disagreeing with their methods.
    The robbers don't choose the banks response, they force it.
    Robbers might force the bank to respond in some way, but they do not force the bank to introduce a victim disarmament zone - that is the choice of the bank. Plenty of banks have been robbed, and very few in this area implement such restrictive entry requirements. Some banks put their tellers behind Lexan. Others up their insurance.

Huntington chooses to ban people who carry guns because an incredibly small subset of people with guns are criminals and an even smaller subset of those people are a threat to their bank. They would be no more justified in banning people based on the ethnicity of the robber.
    The current system is set up to stop the bg, not you.
    No, the current system is set up to stop everyone. The intent may be to stop bad guys, but there is no exception for good guys (unless they are in uniform).
    Your just a victim of the bg's actions/ intensions.
    No sir, I am not. I am a victim of an ill-considered and overly restrictive bank policy, not of the robber.
    I wouldn't take it to harshly. Maybe eventually they could come up with a system that could allow you to scan your LTCH permit that would allow you access.

I understand that you are comfortable with this policy, but presumably you would draw a line somewhere. If a bank forced you to put on handcuffs while you were in their branch, you might have a problem - even if the intent was to keep everyone and their money safe. If they forced you to undress and wear only a paper gown for everyone's security, you might be concerned. Those extreme examples probably cross your personal line of what would be appropriate, and being denied access - indeed, locked in a small room if I dare to carry a handgun through their doors - crosses my personal line.

Their being robbed does not mean I have to bend over and take whatever security policy they want to put into place. I recognize that it is within their rights as a business to take the actions that they have taken, but that right does not (and should not!) in any way protect them from the negative economic repercussions that their policy brings about from their customers.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Would you be OK with a total gun ban if the powers that be decided they were "forced" into it by the actions of the BG's who use guns? I mean, doesn't the government have more of a responsibility to protect the people than your friendly neighborhood bank? :dunno:

If they are that concerned about the safety of their customers they wouldn't force them to disarm in the parking lot & be vulnerable as they make their way into the bank. But really, why should they care? At that point it's your money & life on the line not theirs.

The bank can do what it wants but nobody forced them to do anything. They're the ones who should have to accept the repercussions of their decisions.
    I'm entirely against banning weapons in the hands of anyone that does not pose a threat to themselves or others. Would you be forced or feel the need to use your weapon in a life threatening situation.:dunno: Whatever it takes to secure the existance of you or your familys life. Maybe this just happens to be the banks thoughts as well. Most likely nothing at all against you and the right to have a LTCH.
    Scanning a LTCH permit for access or an armed guard as I stated would be the way to go if it's that big of deal. Their only interest is protecting themselves and their money. They also have a drive thru.
    I personally don't have an issue with them protecting themselves. We all have different opinions and mine I'm certain most don't agree with. But who am I other than someone with a different perspective. It doesn't make me a BG, or does it.:patriot:

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'm entirely against banning weapons in the hands of anyone that does not pose a threat to themselves or others.

I pose a great threat to "others." I hope the others are only those who would harm me or my loved ones, but I carry a weapon to be a threat and to be dangerous. If I enter a bank armed, I am most definitely a threat...just not to any of the nice people working inside. Should I be disarmed as well?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Luka's account is bigger than Jay's.
    Of course it's all in Milk Bone treats...

It's kinda like Norm walking into Cheers..... at the bank, there's a chorus of "Luuuuka", from the three tellers, the VP, and the loan officer... a pause, and then "hi Jay". After that, I drop the lead and Luka goes and collects his treats, from 2 offices, and three teller windows. :D

Top Bottom