• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Funny, you didn't include the 9-second Mustang-Fiesta in that... Yea, people usually stop talking after watching taillights run after run. ;)

Yeah, because Mustangs are the go-to drag cars, and nothing can beat a 1984 Fiesta... errr.. Mustang...

The stock quarter is going to be about double that time - and that car is more aftermarket than Mustang.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The stock quarter is going to be about double that time - and that car is more aftermarket than Mustang.

I'll give you that (although, a little less than double the time). You gotta take it from what time-era it came from. It was highly competitive then - even against its 5.0 cousin.

I see no reason why a modern version couldn't hold its own as well.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    love you! :wwub:

:D

It just upsets me so much that Ford has turned this:

1965-mustang-2.jpg

Into this:
    mustangevos660.jpg

I could get over it not being fast stock, if they could at least make it look appealing.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    the mustang need to be smaller an lighter i agree.

but with emmison stanards, crumple zones, countless airbags, and 1000's of comfort features cars are heavy today.

remeber 95% of ppl buying a car only car about the color and the mpg. so cute cars with 35 mpg sale well.

they will change the mustang and it will sell well in eurpoe they like hot hatch backs:n00b:. but it will flop in America and 3-4 years we will get it back the way it was and they will keep old model the same in europe

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Na, I was just referring to the people who dismiss Mustangs just because it's "not a v8". A lot of those people routinely get the butt handed to them by smaller displacement vehicles at the track. My point was that Ford has gone 4 banger turbo in the past - and it was awesome. So stick around and wait for the final product, because you might just fall in love.

What's your point? Name a car, Fiesta, Metro, Civic, etc. Give me time to research, and I could pick out a list of parts for it that would put it into 10s or 9s, or at least trap speeds indicative of such times. Hell there are 10 second minivans. an I4 will never ever match the sound of a V8, or have that low end rumble. As far as the dragracing, a lot of those guys with the little engines would brag mightily about their high 13 sec tin can of an early 90s Civic hatch beating a 99-04 4.6 3v Mustang, and then had the built in excuse of ONLY having a little engine when they lost to the big boys.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    What's your point? Name a car, Fiesta, Metro, Civic, etc. Give me time to research, and I could pick out a list of parts for it that would put it into 10s or 9s, or at least trap speeds indicative of such times. Hell there are 10 second minivans. an I4 will never ever match the sound of a V8, or have that low end rumble. As far as the dragracing, a lot of those guys with the little engines would brag mightily about their high 13 sec tin can of an early 90s Civic hatch beating a 99-04 4.6 3v Mustang, and then had the built in excuse of ONLY having a little engine when they lost to the big boys.

Generally when someone says "My point was"... the point follows. Go back and read again.

And do try to read the post I made before the post you quoted. In it's time, the 84 SVO out did its v8 version in damn near every way. FROM THE FACTORY. Even when you compare stock for stock, the turbo 4 2.3L was still one awesome ride for its time (and arguably better than the 5.0).

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    OK, I have a 10 GT. Do what you want to a wannabe rice burner, I'll do the same to my 4.6. Who's gonna smoke whom? If mileage was my goal, why would I be driving something that comes in at 17 clean?

Don't call that new thing a Mustang. Call it a... how bout a "Pinto"? That would be funny in an ironic way.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Generally when someone says "My point was"... the point follows. Go back and read again.

And do try to read the post I made before the post you quoted. In it's time, the 84 SVO out did its v8 version in damn near every way. FROM THE FACTORY. Even when you compare stock for stock, the turbo 4 2.3L was still one awesome ride for its time (and arguably better than the 5.0).

I did read your post. You were saying just because its a 4 cylinder doesn't mean it will be a poor performer. You're correct, however I don't care. The top of the line engine for a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc should always be a V8 for nostalgia, sound, low end torque, etc. And there are many many musclecar enthusiasts who feel the same way.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I did read your post. You were saying just because its a 4 cylinder doesn't mean it will be a poor performer. You're correct, however I don't care. The top of the line engine for a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc should always be a V8 for nostalgia, sound, low end torque, etc. And there are many many musclecar enthusiasts who feel the same way.

Hey, I don't disagree with you at all. The v8 SHOULD be the top of of the line option in the muscle cars. I don't believe anyone was talking about taking away the v8 option in its entirety.

I just don't understand the smaller displacement hate. If Ford puts out a Turbo-4 Stang that performs better than it's German and Asian competitors... then I see ZERO reason to be angry about that.

Pointing out what Ford did in the 80's with the SVO was purely to prove that small is not necessarily a bad thing.

We can both have our cake and eat it too.

Hugs n Kisses,
    Mr.JAG

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The Euro version concept care looks just like every other car made in Europe—a fat ugly bug. Best way in the world to destroy an icon is to make it look European. Those who like the Mustang will just go to the Camaro or the Challenger. If Mustang owners wanted a bug, they would buy a BMW or VW or Mercedes.

I own a Mustang because I want an American car. I do not want a European car. Go for it, Ford, and kiss it good-bye. This is the only thing I can think of that would push me to buy a Government Motors car.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OK, I have a 10 GT. Do what you want to a wannabe rice burner, I'll do the same to my 4.6. Who's gonna smoke whom? If mileage was my goal, why would I be driving something that comes in at 17 clean?

Don't call that new thing a Mustang. Call it a... how bout a "Pinto"? That would be funny in an ironic way.

No need to denigrate the Pinto in that fashion. It was a stand alone disaster in its own right. A Mustang is an American car. Turning it into Euro crap is just wrong and stupid—and as ugly as OJ's shoes!.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    European 4 cyl with classic names. Not a good idea...:):

1985-Cuda-16.jpg

Thats NOT a european 4 cyl with a classic name. Thats a made in the USA everything, with "Cuda" on the side. I can't remember if that was a prototype or a one off by someone else, regardless the only version of that car that was sold in the US was originally an 024 Horizon, which the next year became the Charger.... and I know quite a few of them that will surprise you ;)

anyway, that said, its not uncommon for car companies to use the same car in different countries with different names. So I guess they could go the other way and us the same name with different bodies.... if they don't, then this stinks like a Mustang II!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I personally like the idea of a turbo-4 Mustang. Provided they keep it a Mustang (i.e. light, 2 door, RWD platform).

Everyone doing their chest thumping over "It ain't a Mustang unless it's got a v8" need to calm down. Ford did this back in the early and mid 80's. It was called the Mustang SVO. A little 2.3L Turbo 4 banger Mustang that out did its big 5.0 NA brother in damn near every category. Personally, the SVO is one of my favorite models. I've owned 4 Stangs, one of which sported a considerable amount of mods (H/C/I, Vortech S-Trim Supercharger, 3:73s, etc) - and I'd still rather have seriously built 2.3L Turbo SVO!
    A great car. I think you will find that it had a better weight distribution. I loved my 5.0 when I had it but I would not have turned down an SVO had I found one when I bought my 87 5.0 many years ago.

Top Bottom