• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    I recently ( 2 months ago ) was given my first handgun. I have been shooting for 20 yrs and never owned a hand gun. I have a 9mm Jennings which I have read bad things about. What would be a good 9mm to own that would not be very exensive used but a great shooting gun. I am not that worried about conceled carry so much right off. I would like a gun that would hold its value and fun and accuate to shoot alot. I think I am leaning towards a SA DA?

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    welcome to ingo....not sure what your price range is but my 2 cents worth...in the 2-300 dollar range taurus or the bersa,4-500 dollar range your options are glock,S&W,springfield....want something cheap but better than jennings might try a hipoint

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Glock 19 will not do SA, but a taraus 92 or 99 will. copy of a beretta 92 made on machines beretta sold to taraus. you can find them used for around 400 or lower. nice sturdy gun and plenty accurate. 15+1 is good for capiacity and I have never have a single malfunction with the two I have owned for 15 years.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Taurus, Ruger or Bersa for the cheaper price range. Glock, XD, M&P for a little more. Any will do the job nicely, just up to personal prefference and price range. Good luck with your decision.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Ruger P-series. Around the $300 range used but extremely durable and reliable.

SA/DA manual safety, decocker, or DAO models to choose from.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Ruger P-series. Around the $300 range used but extremely durable and reliable.

SA/DA manual safety, decocker, or DAO models to choose from.

Definitely this!!! P89 or P95 would be my choices. Built like tanks and IMO would be a perfect first gun.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    For a range pistol it would be very hard to beat the venerable Beretta 92fs.
    A used one can be had for 350-450 dollars,a new one around 600.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I recently ( 2 months ago ) was given my first handgun. I have been shooting for 20 yrs and never owned a hand gun. I have a 9mm Jennings which I have read bad things about. What would be a good 9mm to own that would not be very exensive used but a great shooting gun. I am not that worried about conceled carry so much right off. I would like a gun that would hold its value and fun and accuate to shoot alot. I think I am leaning towards a SA DA?

Ruger p-95. Smith and Wesson quality/reliability at half the price

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, to echo, if you can find a used Ruger pistol or a well-used S&W pistol, they should be easily affordable.

Heck, a NEW Ruger pistol ain't all that much either!

However, the Rugers and the non M&P Smith/Wesson pistols aren't exactly small. The S&W pistols don't fit my hands very well due to their bulky nature. There are several "single stacked" magazine S&W pistols, though, that do have a smaller grip circumference.

I advise you to hit the gun shops around where you are and just look for used stuff!

And when you find one that feels good in your hand, then you'll know you're on the right track.

And since you're admittedly new to this, don't buy anything right away. Remember the make/model of what it is that you like then come back and run it by us.

There are too many sellers out there who'll sell you a $100 piece of crap for $250 and call you golden.

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think I am leaning towards a SA DA?

Why? IME, they are the hardest type to learn to shoot well, due to the difference in length/weight/feel between the first and subsequent shots. Striker-fired, DAO and even single-action are much easier to master because the trigger pull is consistent for every shot.

That said, if your heart is set on a traditional DA/SA auto, I suggest the Ruger P95, a used/police trade S&W 3rd Generation (3913, 5906, etc), or one of the West German police surplus SIG P6s that have been imported recently.

My :twocents:

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    sig has several that will do what you want and the 250 is changeable to different calibers if you wanted to switch to 40 or 45 later and keep the same lower after you get it set up for your hand.....daryll

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I know you were asking about 9mm, but if you are new to handgunning I would suggest you get a 22. This lets you spend a lot of time shooting without breaking the bank. Then move up to centerfire.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    iv shot tons of 9mm just bought a taurus pt111 mill. pro for $362.21 at the show good gun pretty accurate and small if you decide to conceal my other gun is an fnp 9 great gun shot probly close to 1000 rounds through it now with not a single failure of any kind and it is very accurate comes with three mags but it was also 450+ the p series from ruger are also great and you can put an uzi mag in the 9 mill variant (just in case zombies attack) havent shot an sr9 yet but if someone has let me know if its worth it

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Depends on "what not too expensive" is to you.

For $500 and under, you can get, new:

Springfield Armory XD9
    Taurus PT92
    Bersa 9mm
    Glock 19
    Taurus PT111
    Ruger P95
    Ruger SR9
    Bersa 9mm
    S&W Sigma
    Used Beretta 92FS

Used, $300-$400 will get you:
    3rd Gen S&W
    Ruger Semi-autos
    Used Taurus'

Under $200 will get you a new Hi-point, but despite their devotees, and the fact that they do usually work, any of the others above are better choices. It's still a better gun than that Jennings.

There's almost certainly others I didn't put on the list, those are just the ones that popped into my head.

I didn't list them in any particular order of preference. You'll have to research them, shoot them if you can, and narrow the list down a tad.

If you really want a SA/DA gun, the Ruger P95/P89 or the Taurus PT92/99 would be a good starting point for you, as are the used S&W 39/59 series.

bman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    ruger would be a good choice. nothing fancy, but solid. will always go bang , and not picky about ammo.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    If you want an inexpensive DA/SA, the FNP 9, Ruger P95, and Taurus pistols would fit the bill.

Most of the other less expensive ones are "safe action" DAOs like Glocks, XDs, etc.

You will still probably have to be ready to spend a little more than you would for one of those Jennings, or for a Hi Point, etc. (Disclaimer [at HP lovers]: Hi Points aren't bad guns, but they're definitely not the same quality as the ones I recommended.)

Good luck!

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    A lot of people on here are gonna recommend good guns. The smart thing to do is just go to gunshops and they will be more than happy to let u hold and get feel for them....obviously it would be nice to shoot all of them, but usually If It feels natural and comfy in your hand then I'd say your on the right track.... just my 2 1/2 cents

Last edited:

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    There have been several good suggestions already so I won't bother repeating them, but there is one I didn't see mentioned.

In addition to those mentioned above, take a look at the CZ75 or one of the CZ variations of it. Great pistols and very accurate. Also, the new P-07 looks good, but I haven't handled on of them yet, so I can't say much about it. The CZ's can usually be had for under $500.

Edit to add: Just found this in another thread. If you would like a more compact model here is a thread pointing to a CZ75 Compact P-01 for $459

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/83082-top_gun_supply_sale_cz_p-01_pistol_459_a.html

Top Bottom