• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm sure you can find ballistic charts to go either way, as both are excellent options. The reloading and components are non issues for me. Another thing for me is I have 3 260's and I have so many rounds down range with one I can figure dope on the fly (I have never used a calculator) and I'm very close. For me I feel the 260 is more forgiving, but I will admit I've only got 1000-1500 rds of 243 under my belt, so with more time behind one I might like the 243 just as well.

Ah I got ya. Well I reload as well so either way I will be fine as far as ammo goes. Its like mentioned just picking out the cal I want more I guess. Since this will be probably my last high end rifle build/purchase for a while I want it to be a good one. So Vette since youve shot both how would you compaire recoil of the two calibers 260 Vs. 243?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ah I got ya. Well I reload as well so either way I will be fine as far as ammo goes. Its like mentioned just picking out the cal I want more I guess. Since this will be probably my last high end rifle build/purchase for a while I want it to be a good one. So Vette since youve shot both how would you compaire recoil of the two calibers 260 Vs. 243?

The 260 defintally has more recoil, but its no where near a hindrance, espicailly on a heavy target rifle. Either option will be a lot less recoil than a 308.

To put it in numbers, if a light weight 338 is a #10, and a 22lr is a #0. I would call a 243 a #3, and a 260 a #4. A 308 would be about a #6.

Im not sure where Scottsburg is, but if you want to shoot a 260 just let me know.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Good deal thanks buddy. Im about 30 miles north of Louisville Ky. From all the reading Ive done an the stuff you guys have told me I may just have to go with the 243. It seems to be right on with what Im wanting the rifle to do. But yes Id love to shoot a 260 to see.

Im kinda looking at the Savage Model: 12 Long Range Precision in 243. Would this be a good platform to go off of for starters you think? I know the twist rate is not completley ideal for the heavier bullets but would it be effective out to 1k for punching paper. Or should I go a different route?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Good deal thanks buddy. Im about 30 miles north of Louisville Ky. From all the reading Ive done an the stuff you guys have told me I may just have to go with the 243. It seems to be right on with what Im wanting the rifle to do. But yes Id love to shoot a 260 to see.

Im kinda looking at the Savage Model: 12 Long Range Precision in 243. Would this be a good platform to go off of for starters you think? I know the twist rate is not completley ideal for the heavier bullets but would it be effective out to 1k for punching paper. Or should I go a different route?

I would probably start with a stevens 200 (or other savage), and screw on a barrel that is exactly like you want.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yea that would be the way to go for sure! But those Steven's rifles are getting pretty tough to find from what Ive seen.

There's one for sale in the INGO classifieds with a Choate Tactical stock...save me from myself and buy it :D

You think so... You wouldnt go with the 243 in it? Im assuming due to the twist rate?

Yes, due to the twist rate. It should work with 105gr Hornady A-max/HPBT or 107gr SMKs, but is kinda marginal if you look at stability. 105gr Berger Hybrids would be a no-go.

If you're gonna spend close to a grand, you might as well get the optimal twist rate.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    There's one for sale in the INGO classifieds with a Choate Tactical stock...save me from myself and buy it :D

Yes, due to the twist rate. It should work with 105gr Hornady A-max/HPBT or 107gr SMKs, but is kinda marginal if you look at stability. 105gr Berger Hybrids would be a no-go.

If you're gonna spend close to a grand, you might as well get the optimal twist rate.

Its already sold or I would have bought it :(

I couldnt agree more. So if Im wanting to shoot the heavier stuff out of the 243 ie 115gr (which I would say is what Id need for the longer range shooting) stuff Im assuming Id need a barrel in the 1:7.5 twist range?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I know most of these have already been listed...

.260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55 Swedish, 6.5-.284 Norma
    7mm-08 Rem, .284 Win, 7mm WSM

I think that for your purposes, as long as you are getting a custom barrel... the .260 Ackley Improved would top my list, and get it throated for the specific bullet you want to use, or do my own 6.5mm wildcat. Another thought is the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well I think as for right now I'm probably leaning toward the 243. But I honestly like what I've been reading about the 6mmBR. Since were I'm at I would have more chances to shoot at 600yrds than a 1k. It seems that round is one of the tops for that particular range of Bench rest shooters.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    6BR is an *excellent* choice; a 26" barrel can drive a 105/107 around 2850fps, which will beat a good number of 308 Winchester loads in drop/drift.

Top Bottom