• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    So I finally bit the bullet (pun intended) and just ordered the Lee anniversary single stage kit from Midway USA. I've been thinking about it and reading up on reloading for awhile now. Since Midway seemed to have the best price plus have the deal of saving $20 for first time orders of $100 or more I thought now is as good of time as any. :rockwoot: The die kit is backordered for 45ACP now so I thought I would look around for that. I plan on getting the 4-die set to start with and adding more calibers in the near future. My question is, and as a noob i'm sure it's been answered before, but what would a good load combo be to start with? I'm mainly looking for inexpensive yet accurate target rounds.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    You need to purchase a couple of good reloading manuals. I really like the Lee and the Hornaday manuals, they both have great write ups in the front of them on how to properly load a cartridge, as well as great explanation of theory.

I would also look into getting " The ABC's of reloading" It is an excellent beginners book.

Accuracy for your gun will be different then other people's. Part of the fun of reloading is working up a load to see what works well in your gun.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    Awesome that is how I started about 15 years ago. back then the anniversary kit came with the lee reloading book. if yours did ,, sit down and read it cover to cover it is full of great info .. +1 on the ABC's of reloading.
    make sure and follow the load data for whatever powder you buy..
    take your time and enjoy !!!

coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    Thanks for the replies. I did order the Lymans book along with the press. Plan on looking that over as much as possible.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Good choice for a new reloading setup. I might be a little prejudiced about this kit though since I have given several away to friends and Nephews as Christmas or birthday gifts.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I bought the anniversary kit as well. It does the job, and I'm happy with. I ditched the scale and powder measure though. I'm using the Lee dies as well. Read the Lyman manual, it has a lot of good information. Also, powder manufacture load data is a good source reference. I use Hodgdon data for all of my reloads. Nice thing is, you can upgrade as you go. That way you can find what works for you, but not spend a lot to get started.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A lot of people complain about the Lee balance beam scale. It takes extra time for guys like me to understand what it is trying to tell me. I bought my first one about 20 years ago and I about tossed it out until I started to understand how to use it correctly.

Right now, I have two of them and they are used to double check against my Pact digital. I loaned one to a friend that is a highly experienced reloader. He never "got it" and he gave it back to me pretty fast. He bought something easier to read but not any more accurate.

The Lee powder measures absolutely need graphite or mica lube for consistant throws. I still have a couple of them around but they don't work right out of the box unless you use mica or graphite. After a couple hundred rounds worth of powder, the graphite from the powder gets it to be lots better for consistancy of throw.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A lot of people complain about the Lee balance beam scale. It takes extra time for guys like me to understand what it is trying to tell me. I bought my first one about 20 years ago and I about tossed it out until I started to understand how to use it correctly.

Right now, I have two of them and they are used to double check against my Pact digital. I loaned one to a friend that is a highly experienced reloader. He never "got it" and he gave it back to me pretty fast. He bought something easier to read but not any more accurate.

The Lee powder measures absolutely need graphite or mica lube for consistant throws. I still have a couple of them around but they don't work right out of the box unless you use mica or graphite. After a couple hundred rounds worth of powder, the graphite from the powder gets it to be lots better for consistancy of throw.

I had no problems with the scale. I find an electronic scale is fater for me. The measure worked pretty well at first. Then I was spending to much time fooling with it. Yes, it was less accurate the more I used it.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    You can't go wrong with this kit! I've added a couple things to make it easier while loading but all in all excellent kit to start off with. Been loading 458 socom and 308 with it no issues!

coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    So far I've not heard anything bad about getting this press to start reloading except for the sub-par scale from some people. That makes me feel good about the purchase. SHould be here on Tuesday according to UPS. I'm impatiently waiting. :-)

Top Bottom