• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The advantage I see over the tampon like products used for similar reasons is this has a greater ability to fill oddly shaped wounds or conform better to the shape of various wounds.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I carry 6 tampons in my BOB...they weigh absolutely nothing...sterile enough for SHTF ditch medicine and do a great job...as a former medic and EMT, what I don't care for with this new invention is there are too many of these small coins of gauze...it will be headache for the E.R. Doc or surgeon to account for them all. Tampons would be much easier, less expensive and just as effective.

In all seriousness....you could insert antampon into a knife wound for example...cover it with a maxi-pad and wrap an old style army bandage around it....it is very effective...

They also make good a good firestarter!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    An industrial first aid trainer told me years ago that tampons were great to use as packing in a large flesh wound, and I keep a box of both the slim and super in the medicine cabinet. He cautioned against using them in a chest or abdomen wound since they would only plug the hole, and not necessarily stop the bleeding in a large cavity, but for something like a stab wound to an arm or leg, they work great. The old belted maxi pads also make a great compress pad, and can be tied tightly over a wound if necessary.
    This was on my mind. It doesn't seem like there is a bandage or anything else (celox etc) that will solve hemorageing. I'd think this is still a problem even with arm&leg wounds.
    MDs EMTs, what do you say?

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'll be curious to see how they play out...i certainly wont be ditching my combat gauze in any hurry to get this. It seems neat but not much more than that. As one other person already commented that is a recipe for disaster for a surgeon because he has very little accountability of how many little sponges there are as well as i am not confident in their ability to actually provide enough pressure to stop a serious bleed. only time will tell and if it work than HELL YEAH.

PS
    Great tactical tampon for the women in infantry now....couldnt resist...sorry

76chevy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Interesting article. The antimicrobial properties would be very helpful in controlling infection alos.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    As one other person already commented that is a recipe for disaster for a surgeon because he has very little accountability of how many little sponges there are
    Except the fact those X's on them are purposely designed to show up on X-rays so sponges DON'T get left in the body.
    X ray machines are extremely commonplace medical equipment (Veterinarians, Chiropractors, Immediate Care, dentists, GP offices etc).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Tampons don't stop the bleeding, they absorb it until they are full. They may plug the hole but are doing you little good otherwise. This will help stop the bleeding.

Top Bottom