• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch So far, Ted Cruz is the only one I'm totally sold on.
    As primary season unfolds, I'll open up the possibilities more.

Ranked voting isn't about being sold on just one candidate. You can be sold on one. But ranked voting is about getting a second, third, or tertiary choices. It's the backup plan. If not your favorite, who's next? If you don't decide, then others will.

Not really.
    When primary time comes, I'm only allowed to vote for ONE candidate for President, and that will be Ted Cruz.

So when the primary season is over and a candidate has been selected for the Fall election, I'll decide if I'll vote for them then.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Originally Posted by edporch So far, Ted Cruz is the only one I'm totally sold on.
    As primary season unfolds, I'll open up the possibilities more.

Not really.
    When primary time comes, I'm only allowed to vote for ONE candidate for President, and that will be Ted Cruz.

So when the primary season is over and a candidate has been selected for the Fall election, I'll decide if I'll vote for them then.

The first past the post voting system we have now promotes a two-party system. This limits our choices every election to the lesser of two evils, and usually, for nearly half of Americans, the most evil wins. Ranked voting does two things. It eliminates the emphasis on political parties, and it elects a candidate that the most voters will tend to like.

For example, in this poll, as of the last tally update, Cruz leads in both points and #1 votes. At a little over 40% he's not the first choice of a majority of participants. But given that he scores highly as 2nd and 3rd choices, he is the candidate that the most INGO participants can accept. Contrast that with Trump. Of course it seems Trump has lost much INGO favor, but think about early on how many people wanted Trump. You either love him or you hate him. He might have made #1 on many people's lists, but for everyone else, it's near the bottom. A ranked voting system probably wouldn't elect Trump because too many people hate him.

There are several forms of ranked voting. This experiment is a version of Borda Count ranked voting. Ideally you'd rank all the available candidates in order of preference, however, for the purpose of this thread it's easier for participants to choose and me to tally, just to pick the top 5.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The first past the post voting system we have now promotes a two-party system. This limits our choices every election to the lesser of two evils, and usually, for nearly half of Americans, the most evil wins. Ranked voting does two things. It eliminates the emphasis on political parties, and it elects a candidate that the most voters will tend to like.

For example, in this poll, as of the last tally update, Cruz leads in both points and #1 votes. At a little over 40% he's not the first choice of a majority of participants. But given that he scores highly as 2nd and 3rd choices, he is the candidate that the most INGO participants can accept. Contrast that with Trump. Of course it seems Trump has lost much INGO favor, but think about early on how many people wanted Trump. You either love him or you hate him. He might have made #1 on many people's lists, but for everyone else, it's near the bottom. A ranked voting system probably wouldn't elect Trump because too many people hate him.

There are several forms of ranked voting. This experiment is a version of Borda Count ranked voting. Ideally you'd rank all the available candidates in order of preference, however, for the purpose of this thread it's easier for participants to choose and me to tally, just to pick the top 5.

I actually have no problem with a so-called "2 party system".
    The problem comes in when both parties have little difference between them.

If for example, the Republican Party elite would let Republican voters choose the candidate, instead of pull strings behind the scenes for their glorified Democrat they push on us every election, the 2 party system would give the voters a REAL choice.

Notice how they're panicking that an actual conservative might win the nomination, and crying to draft glorified Democrat Romney for their candidate, in SPITE of what Republican voters want?

Contrast a 2 party system with a multi party system.
    In my opinion, the House and Senate would be less effective if there were many parties in them.

It would make it necessary to have coalitions among many parties which would be even a bigger mess.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Update:

C'mon INGO! No love for Hillary? I've read that she has a vagina. That's important. Right?

The numbers have changed but the ranking hasn't. Cruz is still on top. Just more comfortably.

But look at Bernie Sanders vs John Kasich. This shows the importance of ranking all the candidates for each ballot rather than just the top 5 that I asked for here.

A ranked voting system should elect the candidate most favorable to the most voters. For this to happen, it is important that the ranking is transitive. In other words, A > B > C > A should not be possible. I imagine that if everyone ranked all candidates from top to bottom, most INGO participants would rank John Kasich somewhat above Bernie Sanders. But because I've only asked for the top 5, the ranking doesn't really represent the true ranked preference of INGO. But whateves. The non-transitive rankings appear to be deep enough in the weeds that it wouldn't affect the top 5 anyway.

CandidateRank Score#1st place votes% 1st place votes
    Ted Cruz1081546.9
    Rand Paul96825
    Ben Carson7526.3
    Carly Fiorina5613.1
    Marco Rubio5113.1
    Donald Trump3126.3
    Bernie Sanders1727.4
    John Kasich900
    Jeb Bush713.7
    Hillary Clinton000
    Martin O'Malley000

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have to admit being disappointed Jim Gilmore wasn't included.

I kinda liked Gilmore. He mostly said the right things about the constitution among other things. I'm disappointed that he hasn't done better in the polls. He's certainly at least as good in terms of electability as Kasich. But to keep this list manageable I decided to stay with the main 8 from the last GOP debate plus the Democrats. It's probably very safe to say that no one from the JV team has any realistic chance to be president anyway.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Update: I'm not surprised that Cruz is most popular on INGO, and that someone like Rand Paul has a better representation here than in the general population.

I forgot to update this from the last couple of votes. I am disappointed that the Trump supporters weren't better represented. I know there are more than two INGOers who want trump to win.

Perhaps it is because of the public nature of this poll. I think if this were anonymous more people would have participated. But because INGO polling isn't set up for ranked voting it has to be manually tabulated, which means you have to post your choices. I have an amazon cloud free account. Maybe I'll write an app to do it which can be anonymous.

CandidateRank Score#1st place votes% 1st place votes
    Ted Cruz1171647.1
    Rand Paul101926.5
    Ben Carson8125.9
    Carly Fiorina6112.9
    Marco Rubio5212.9
    Donald Trump3425.9
    Bernie Sanders1725.9
    John Kasich1000
    Jeb Bush712.9
    Hillary Clinton000
    Martin O'Malley000

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Perhaps it is because of the public nature of this poll. I think if this were anonymous more people would have participated. But because INGO polling isn't set up for ranked voting it has to be manually tabulated, which means you have to post your choices. I have an amazon cloud free account. Maybe I'll write an app to do it which can be anonymous.

If it weren't for that pesky lack of anonymity, Martin O'Malley would be carrying INGO, right? :):

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I noticed you didn't vote....

/grin

I started to sort though it and then gave up. If I could wave the magic wand, it would be Paul followed closely by Cruz. If I had to pick someone I believe could actually get things done while being relatively immune to outside pressure, it would be Trump. Further, I am satisfied that Trump is the best reasonable choice, particularly in terms of breaking the establishment stranglehold, even if not my dream candidate per se. At least he has the fortitude to say exactly what he is thinking without giving a damn who likes or doesn't like it. Taking that in tandem with his business experience, and most important, the fact that as far back as I can remember, even as a kid in the 80s, Trump has seen his person interests resting on the strength of the United States rather than on globalists that are served by destroying the United States, which, unfortunately, takes in any candidate from either party controlled by the establishment.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom