• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Awesome day at the range. Got to shoot my new VTAC and spend more time with my G34 and G19. Here is the promised pic of the back. You can see how it's already starting to conform to the shape of my body, after only being worn for a few hours.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Awesome day at the range. Got to shoot my new VTAC and spend more time with my G34 and G19. Here is the promised pic of the back. You can see how it's already starting to conform to the shape of my body, after only being worn for a few hours.

Thanks for the pic.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the pic.

You're welcome. The holster is very comfortable, with two caveats, neither the fault of the holster. Carrying at 3:00 is difficult as my jeans aren't really loose enough for it. It's very convenient to draw from and it conceals extremely well, but it's so tight on me it's uncomfortable. I might get a pair of jeans a size looser to see if that helps, otherwise I might need to try carrying at 4:00 where there is naturally more slack (I'm skinny, so that's just how it works out). The only problem in my mind with that is I have to reach further back to draw, which doesn't feel very natural. The second problem is the extended magazine release digs into my side, which is pretty uncomfortable. I need to either put the original release back on, or I need to buff the extended release down a bit to soften the edges a bit more than I already have.

How are others carrying with their Alien Gear? Just curious what is "standard".

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    4:00 seemed to work pretty well for me. Not as comfortable sitting and driving, but not bad. Only problem is that carrying there is too loose if I use the second hole on my belt, but comfortable, or too tight if I use the third hole. I'm thinking of punching a hole between the existing two.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You're welcome. The holster is very comfortable, with two caveats, neither the fault of the holster. Carrying at 3:00 is difficult as my jeans aren't really loose enough for it. It's very convenient to draw from and it conceals extremely well, but it's so tight on me it's uncomfortable. I might get a pair of jeans a size looser to see if that helps, otherwise I might need to try carrying at 4:00 where there is naturally more slack (I'm skinny, so that's just how it works out). The only problem in my mind with that is I have to reach further back to draw, which doesn't feel very natural. The second problem is the extended magazine release digs into my side, which is pretty uncomfortable. I need to either put the original release back on, or I need to buff the extended release down a bit to soften the edges a bit more than I already have.

How are others carrying with their Alien Gear? Just curious what is "standard".

My experience is similar to yours (minus the mag release button). I bought a couple pairs of jeans that were a size larger in the waist. Also being slim, I couldn't use this holster in any position with my old jeans (being too tight).
    I also trimmed the leather slightly, (at the waistline, near the grip) to allow gripping/drawing the pistol more betterer.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My experience is similar to yours (minus the mag release button). I bought a couple pairs of jeans that were a size larger in the waist. Also being slim, I couldn't use this holster in any position with my old jeans (being too tight).
    I also trimmed the leather slightly, (at the waistline, near the grip) to allow gripping/drawing the pistol more betterer.

Thank you for relating your experience. I'm going to buy a couple pairs of looser jeans to see if that helps the situation :)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I've had good experience with them but every single shell I've had needed more retention even with the screws tightened to the point they poke out the back and into flesh. A quick little touch of my heat gun and pressing at the front of the trigger guard area to tighten it up did the trick.

But, for $30 and lifetime shell swapping for a new gun (which I've done, very easy process), pretty good stuff. And the kydex shell is thicker than most, which I like.
    Didn't you get a bag of extra goodies with yours?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Didn't you get a bag of extra goodies with yours?

Yep. Even with the screws all tightened to the point that they started poking into flesh the retention was pretty loose. All it took was molding the shell more tightly around the front of the trigger guard and it was good to go.

That all being said, the spacing of the wings seems wrong to me. Much further apart than necessary and it's got a tendency to want to move because of that. I've got a Galco KingTuk that is considerably smaller in overall width that does a much better job of staying put.

Comparing quality levels of the Alien Gear to the other similar designs, I'll take Alien Gear. However, the Comp-Tac MTAC seems much better built (albeit for more $$$), and is really quite different in design in a number of ways.

You get what you pay for. I'm getting serious on the next one. Which kinda makes sense, after all. Spend $500 or more on a good gun then skimp on the holster? Doesn't seem right when thought about too much.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thank you for relating your experience. I'm going to buy a couple pairs of looser jeans to see if that helps the situation :)

With my King Tuk IWB, I usually make it a point to buy jeans a bit bigger, and I actually carry in the 5 - 5:30 position. Seems to put the gun in a comfortable spot that is pretty easily accessible given the cant to the kydex shell.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Retention seems very good to me, no complaints. I have to add the disclaimer that I've only worn it twice so far. Most of the day yesterday and for a trip out to the store today. In bad weather like this, I feel more comfortable/prepared wearing my Blackhawk Serpa at either 10:00 or 2:00. Either way I'm able to access my weapon easier then getting to it when it's concealed at 3:00 or 4:00. Just personal preference. I'll plan to wear it a lot more as we move into warmer weather.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I went ahead and ordered one today for my G19. I haven't used any of the the kydex-leather hybrids, so this will be a first.

I'm looking for a decent belt now while waiting for the Alien gear to come in the mail.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I went ahead and ordered one today for my G19. I haven't used any of the the kydex-leather hybrids, so this will be a first.

I'm looking for a decent belt now while waiting for the Alien gear to come in the mail.

Daltechforce Biobelt SuperBIO BELT - The Indestructible Belt! - Daltech Force

Use coupon code INGO to save 10%

Review here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew-daltech-force-super-biobelt-gun-belt.html

That review just needs to be a sticky and INGO should get a $1 referral fee for each new one sold using that coupon code or referral link

Last edited:

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Still hesitant to pull the trigger. Kind of the "get what you pay for" idea....local guy makes them custom for about $55-65 and has them same day. CAN'T DECIDE!!!

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks guys. I wanted to get my friend an IWB holster for his birthday. I use, and am very happy with, a Theis. After reading this thread, my friend is now getting an Alien to compare it with my Theis.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Thought I'd stop back in and describe my use for the last 5 or so months.

The only issue I've had is in the warmer months. I don't wear an undershirt when it's warm and the hardware on the inside poked me as the leather broke in from wear and sweat. I cinched the hardware up and it went away.

The leather is still in good condition, and everything else still does what it's supposed to.

For the price, it just can't be beat.

Top Bottom