• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    For a first gun I'd stay simple, buy a revolver, nothing tricky or complicated just point and shoot like your first camera. they argenerally very accurate and reliable.
    Contact members in your area and I'll bet they can take you to a range to try different handguns

UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I personally like my revolver for its simplicity and carry one full time. But to reiterate what has been said here before me, go to a range that rents and try different guns until you find one you like and can handle.
    Warning: Once you start you won't be able to stop. Welcome to our world!

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Springfield XD or XDM, whichever fits both of your hands the best. Reformed Glock guy here. Nothing wrong with the G's...until you shoot a Springfield. Go with the 40 cal. That seems to be the most available ammo at this moment AND it's a great defense round.

Quoted for Truth

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Revolver. Keep it simple at first. Have her learn the basics then go from there if you want. With a revolver there aren't the issues of jams, stovepipes, ftf, fte, etc.

Armed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Michiana
    My smith and wesson sd40ve I think is a great gun, very easy to clean and tear down, its light, has a rail, double stack 14rd mag for the.40 I think 16rds for the 9mm(sd9ve) and you can buy it brand new for less than 350. The only down sides for me is there is no safety, and some people don't like the trigger as its a little heavy but it doesn't bother me.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    If you plan on using your handgun for home defense a quality light is an absolute must. There are some revolvers out there with rails, but they are expensive and hard to find.

I usually recommend a fullsize Glock 9mm for new shooters because of the simplicity of the design along with the reliability, durability, and low cost for both the handgun and ammunition. There are many other brands that will serve you just as well.

Your natural point of aim is important when buying a gun. Make sure the gun is unloaded and find a safe place to aim the weapon. Grip the gun in your hands and pick a spot on the wall about chest height such as a light switch, painting, etc. Close your eyes, and then bring the gun up to where you think you are pointing at the target. Open your eyes and see if the sights are lined up on target. 1911's, Glocks, Sigs, revolvers, etc will all point to a different height. You can move your natural point of aim over time with practice. Until then you want something that point shoots good for you, especially under stress.

Find a friend who is an experienced shooter or get some professional training right away. It is much easier to learn to shoot right from the beginning. Trust me, I taught myself the wrong way and it took a long time to fix my bad habits.

Top Bottom