• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have been given the ok by my fiance to get a handgun with my tax check this year (not whipped just have a wedding to pay for.)

So my predicament is this: .357 revolver (make and model undertimined) .45acp (most likely 1911, looking at Ruger) Or saving that money and using it for the wedding.

If you have an idea please leave gun makes and models so I can research.

Thank you in advance

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Right now - I'd wait until after the wedding.

The guns will still be there.

You have a "need" right now for that money.

Wait a few more months and then get the firearm. It'll be worth it!

(But my vote is for a 4-5" S&W 686 of some flavor)

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Right now - I'd wait until after the wedding.

The guns will still be there.

This. Weddings can be costly, sometimes going over the expected budget. Not to sound like my dad, but starting a marriage on a financially sound footing is the best way to go. Besides, your fiancé passed the test! She said you could use your tax chec

And then buy your first 1911!

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Ruger 1911 is a good one, I especially like the Black versions, but I prefer higher capacity 45's myself.

Good luck with your decision and the pending nuptials...

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thank you all for the help. I couldn't tell if I was just over thinking it or not. I always jump at the thought of a new gun, but I was thinking I need to be responsible. I always come here for advice about this kind of thing.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    great thread.
    generally speaking, Happy wife = happy life. I'd wait until the wedding, because they always go over budget
    Do you own any other handguns right now? If not, 9mm is the most affordable to shoot! That said, I LOVE my 357 revolver (4" Ruger GP100, I wouldn't hesitate to get a S&W 686 or 627 8-shot either). The revolvers are great for shooting 38 spl. and/or 357 magnum.
    If it's your first handgun, maybe consider something with an accessry rail and higher capacity for home defense.
    .45s are great, but you're looking at $.50/shot unless you reload

I love spending other people's money, so tell us what your budget is for the gun (if wedding budget stays in check) ?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Do you have a gun already? May sound like a simple question but if you don't, I'd buy one now. If the new gun would be an additional firearm, I'd wait for the reasons above.

ssdoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    auburn
    I vote to go ahead . Like everybody said the wedding is going over budget if you buy a gun or not. And both choices are great.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Go wedding first and make her happy. Could mean more guns for you in the future! Lol

Exactly right. Show her that you're responsible and that you put her first and you will be rewarded :D

Since you live on the south side, I'd be happy to meet you sometime and let you shoot my 1911's. One that I have is the Ruger SR1911, so if you haven't fired one you can try it out to see what you think.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy the gun for the wife, covers all the squares.

I'm with the 6" GP-100 unless you're looking for a EDC. It's a good value and pretty versatile with the added bonus of not having to chase brass.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Yeah, but she did say he could buy one...

If she's the kind of woman that gives mixed signals... says it's ok when it's actually not, then don't get it.
    If she says what she means, then nothing wrong with getting it now. After all, she said you could. :dunno:
    Im with you if she says get a gun then I am getting a gun. Always supposed to do what your soon to be wife tells you! LOL.psyko

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    An Older friend told me that the "toys" all go away once you're married. Don't believe all of that. You adjust, work extra, scrimp and save. Then kids show up. Now the scrimping really begins. Your "wants" go to the wayside to "needs". Your wedding is an important affair. Don't short yourself, but $500 could be a bill payed on the start.

After 30+yrs, my wife doesn't demand a 24/7 accounting, nor do I of her. If the budget allows, we shop. If I see or desire a firearm purchase, it is done with bonus funding or trades vs cash. She does hers, I do mine. Glocks are everywhere, maybe a Ruger 10-22, and a 9mm or a 45acp. She can handle either.

Bottom line: She has given her blessing for a purchase. Buy 2. one for you, one for her. Sign up a handgun course, basics always first, and apply for a LTCH. (both of you).
    Take her out west, show her you care enough to be her Security, and enjoy yourself. Hope that the firearms are never needed.

Your choice, marriage is suppose to be for life despite what others do. Don't scrimp on your protection either. Good luck either way.

Top Bottom