• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    I picked up a Sig P238 for the same reason. It's a little bigger than the mouse 380's but I enjoy shooting it, which is helpful if you plan on carrying it, but it still disappears in your pocket.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Welcome to INGO!
    I think you'd be better served by a 9mm like the Diamondback DB9 or better yet the Ruger LC9 (Love my LC9).
    But you're going to find a lot of different opinions here and the best advise would be to invest some time in reading (print and online) then in gun shops getting a feel for the guns then better yet, testing out at a range that rents guns.

One quality post down .. 49 to go

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I read there was a recall on the Sig 238's for the safety. The safety would look engaged but actually would not be.
    I ended up going with the Bodyguard 380 and I really like it...no issues at 500 rounds.
    I agree with getting a 9mm instead. Cost of ammo and the fact that there are alot of pocket 9mm out there like the Beretta Nano etc.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I got a great deal on an S&W Bodyguard .380, and I've been quite pleased with it. It isn't the BUG gun I thought I'd be buying (I had planned on picking up a Colt Mustang or the Sig P238), but it has given me absolutely no cause to complain. If I didn't have it and were still looking for a new BUG gun, I'd probably be looking hard at the new sub-compact 9mms like the Nano, the SIG 938, etc. Not because of any dissatisfaction with the Smith, but I've come to realize that concealing a BUG isn't that hard, and I don't need the absolute smallest gun as a backup, so up-calibering to a 9mm would be worth consideration.

adsVA83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger LCR .38 and I can put about 30-50 rounds through it before my hand gets tired of shooting it. I also have a SR9C and I can shoot it all day without getting tired of it. I carry both of them pretty easily.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I have a LCP and S&W 642. The LCP is smaller and holds 2 more rounds, but if given a choice I will almost always choose the 642. IMO, the .38 special is a much better round for self defense, fired from a snubbie its power in on par with 9mm fired from subcompact guns.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Between those two choices I much prefer the .38 personally.
    I have a s&w 442 airweight that I love.
    The LCR is a very nice shooter.
    Taurus has the 85 ultralight that I have enjoyed as well.

For a concealed .38 I personally prefer a concealed hammer. I like it for pocket carry and don't like having an exposed hammer to snag. :twocents:

There are also several good pocket sized .380s as well like the lcp, bodyguard... but I just prefer the .38 round over the .380 and I find a .38 snubby much more pleasant to shoot than a pocket .380

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like the LCR also between the two (2) you posted. If you decide to go semiauto, look at the Beretta Nano 9mm. I think it is often overlooked since it is still fairly new. Shoots great, easy to carry, and 9mm is easier to find and a little cheaper.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    You didn't mention if you are experienced or a noob. I always recommend revolver to beginners, a 3'' barrel helps with pointing.

nvb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    s&w .38+p airweight. if you go 380 don't get a diamondback i bought one and its been nothing but trouble

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The "Get a nine" guys do certainly have a point, but I say carry what YOU like, and what you will carry. My P32 may not be a .45, but I do very often have it on me.

Oh, and welcome to INGO!

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    What is your budget?
    What are you going to use it for?
    Will this be for carry?
    What is your experience level?

All of those questions must be answered before any recommendations can really be made IMHO.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    Before you shell out the cash, do yourself a favor and go to the 1500 in Indy, Aug 24, 25, 26. You could get the best shooting, lowest price gun ever manufactured but if it doesn't feel right in your hand you'll never be happy!

I went to the one in March, knowing exactly what gun I wanted. After 30 minutes, I knew I wasn't going to be happy with it. I tried all the different models I had researched, even went back and forth a few times before making up my mind.

So, if you can wait 25 days ...

Top Bottom