• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ximan62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Marion
    Hello all. I got my first handgun last year, S&W .40 Semiauto. Not to bad with it, but not great either. I want to spend alot more time on the range this summer and increase my accuracy. What's a good gun to learn with (and cheap to fire)?

M

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    why don't you want to practice with your S&W? dont care for .40? (i didnt).

I love my Glock 17 Gen4. But the easiest handgun for me to shoot is the 1911.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    To improve accuracy look into getting a .22. Most .22 pistols are relatively inexpensive, plus ammo is pretty cheap too

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I have a S&W 22a1 pistol and it has a fat grip so it feels like a bigger gun so its a good starting point to get your trigger pull down. It has adjustable sights plus its actually very accurate more so than my dads mark II and it eats up HP's unlike his Mark II or hi standard.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    There are plenty of 9mm models to pick from in the $300-$500 that are good choices and you can get 9mm ammo as cheap as $9/50 rounds. That's alot cheaper than any .40 ammo I've seen anywhere. It would definitely help with being accurate with a gun that has some actual recoil (unlike a .22). You can shoot a .22 all day and be extremely accurate but things change when you add some kick to that firebreather.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Hello all. I got my first handgun last year, S&W .40 Semiauto. Not to bad with it, but not great either. I want to spend alot more time on the range this summer and increase my accuracy. What's a good gun to learn with (and cheap to fire)?

M

Was the S&W you bought a SIGMA ???:dunno:

raven84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I can definitely agree on getting a .22 to practice with, or a 9mm, I can get 9mm federal cheap ammo from Wal-Mart for about 9 a box of 50. Personal preference, the .22 will be more fun for plinking, trust me.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What model S&W? Sigma? Nothing wrong with the Sigma, they just arent known to have the best triggers. I love the .40 s&w round. It is my EDC and my home defense caliber as well. If you plan on keeping you S&W .40 and plan on carrying it then I have to say you should still get plenty of practice with it. If you plan on going a whole different route and are trying to find a new carry piece and possible different caliber then I would try to handle as many and shoot as many different makes and models as you can before you make your decision. .22s are great for all day shooting for real cheap if you are just wanting a cheap shooter for range trips.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    A good gun to learn with is the one you own! Rather than buying another gun for 'training', I suggest you get the training. Contact Rhino, Coach or Obijohn at ACT. They advertise on INGO. I believe you'll find it to be so cost effective you'll be able to buy a supply of .40. After some training, you'll be able to make a wise decision as to whether buying a .22 is necessary.

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    Walther P22 is sweet, but so are the Rugers, and Ruger magazines are cheaper. If you wanted to shoot 9mm I think the best buy in 9mm full size handgun for the range is without a doubt a Ruger P95. Still .22 is way cheaper to shoot, the Walther is very easy to clean also! .22 is sooo dirty. If you are buying used watch the older P22 mags they were not the best. Good luck

ximan62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Marion
    Thanks all for the feedback. To answer several of the followup questions, yes it is a Sigma model, and I do like it - however the ammo costs and recoil make it hard to go fire a couple hundred rounds. I've heard the .22 are cheap, but am concerned that there is no comparision between .22 and .40.

And yes, I am looking at training myself too, not just changing guns.

---
    Oh, and T-DOGG, I love your signature line. I may have to use that from time to time! I've always warned my daughter that when she gets old enough to date, she better expect to see me on Cops with my shotgun in hand.

Last edited:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks all for the feedback. To answer several of the followup questions, yes it is a Sigma model, and I do like it - however the ammo costs and recoil make it hard to go fire a couple hundred rounds. I've heard the .22 are cheap, but am concerned that there is no comparision between .22 and .40.

Hello sir! IMHO there is indeed no comparison between a .22 and a .40. I own both browning and ruger .22 autos and a Baretta .40 and they are night and day. If you want to shoot a bigger round than .22 with less recoil I recommend 9mm - ammo is cheaper than .40 and recoil is usually less depending on what guns you are comparing. My favorite 9mm for the range is a Baretta 92FS - fits me like a glove, silky smooth operation and accurate. In fact it is my 11 year old sons favorite as well.:twocents:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

---
    Oh, and T-DOGG, I love your signature line. I may have to use that from time to time! I've always warned my daughter that when she gets old enough to date, she better expect to see me on Cops with my shotgun in hand.

My SIGMA was ACCURATE, but I had to practice getting used to the long trigger pull.

Top Bottom