• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitbaile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Looking for some advice for a new gun owner.

1)In regards to the conceal carry permit am I good to go online and get to it from the state of Indiana's website? I know I will need to complete the process in person for fingerprinting and what not.
    2) I'm looking into a carry pistol and shotgun to keep at home. Where is the best place in the greater Indianapolis area to shoot and see in person a wide variety of both?
    3) Anything else I need to look into when becoming a gun owner?

Appreciate any and all advice

sleepey7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    indianapolis
    the first thing i would look in to and u can find it here is the laws for this state when it comes to carrying in this and anyother state u mighr go thru try to learn as much about the laws u can. u can start the process of ur permit on the states website the u have to make a apointment with l1 to do your fingerprinting pay part of the cost there. then go to the city county building to pay the rest as far as places to go to shoot theres a few places u can go dons guns 38 th street they are a little pricey when it comes to buying. indy trading post is on madison close to troy ave . and theres parabellum in avon its a nice place thats the ones i been to. and again learn the laws its the best thing u can do here at ingo theres alot of info u can find out about the laws knowing the laws can keep u out of trouble.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    1 yes many counties allow you do do it online and print forms. then just go to police for fingerprints and to pay
    2 in the indy area i know both indy trading post and beech grove rent firearms
    3. take a safety class

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you haven't yet, take an Intro to Firearms class.

For being able to rent handguns, you can go to either Beech Grove Firearms or Indy Trading Post. Pops Guns (aka Family Shooting Center) doesn't have the best reputation and I'd recommend avoiding them. Avoid Don's Guns like the plague.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You have made the best choice and that is to become a gunowner. INGO is a great place for information. I would suggest getting your lifetime LTCH. Go to the Indiana website and fill out the information online and pay your fees. I suggest doing the L1 for your finger prints. They are digital and are sent to the State Police faster which in turn speeds up the process is getting your LTCH in the mail. Once you receive it go to Kinkos, officemax or someplace to run off about six copies. Sign one of the copies and have it laminated.

Go and shoot several guns at a range that rent them. Some ranges will rent you a gun to take a training class with. This will help you get an understanding of the pistol and proper way of shooting it. If you aren't familiar with autos and hold it the wrong way it will bite you.

Call one of the places listed above and be very transparent with them. Let them know that you are new to guns and need some help. I am betting that they will help you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1) Depends on the county.

2) Go to gun school. Let your software select your hardware.

3) You should know that the subjective is objective. The gun does not matter, you do. Invest in yourself via education. You should know that gun handling is the base of the triangle, all else pales in comparison to the importance of gun handling. You should know that guns can and do discharge even if triggers are not depressed. You should be aware of Problem #2.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As everyone has mentioned, the process is described in detail on the Indiana State Police website. It does not deviate much from that. Follow the instructions are you'll be set for your permit.

I HIGHLY recommend you either take some courses and/or read MANY artciles about carrying a pistol. There are many legal angles you must consider and a mindset you should develop. An internet forum is probably not the best place to develop that education.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I will echo what others have said. The best equipment in the world is useless unless you are proficient with it. Some sort of training is highly recommended. Also, once trained, remember these are perishable skills. If you don't practice regularly, you will lose them. So make sure to at least put a box of bullets through your carry gun every once in a while, while focusing on shooting fundamentals.

Have fun and be safe!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    the first thing i would look in to and u can find it here is the laws for this state when it comes to carrying in this and anyother state u mighr go thru try to learn as much about the laws u can. u can start the process of ur permit on the states website the u have to make a apointment with l1 to do your fingerprinting pay part of the cost there. then go to the city county building to pay the rest as far as places to go to shoot theres a few places u can go dons guns 38 th street they are a little pricey when it comes to buying. indy trading post is on madison close to troy ave . and theres parabellum in avon its a nice place thats the ones i been to. and again learn the laws its the best thing u can do here at ingo theres alot of info u can find out about the laws knowing the laws can keep u out of trouble.

:facepalm:

OP -> read posts #6 and #7

/thread

Top Bottom