• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    On topic, I always clean my guns before I shoot them, Glock or not, just to make sure they are good to go and actually lubricated. There's only one gun I have that won't be cleaned by me before I shoot it and that's because I know who the previous owner is and I cam smell the gun oil on it from where it has been cleaned.

When I clean mine I use a rag to take off all the big stuff and then use Hoppes and Q-tips for the most part to get the small things. Then I use automotive wheel bearing grease to lubricate afterwards.

Grossly overlubricating handguns is one of the most common errors. Handguns only need microscopic films of lubricant and only on the critical bearing surfaces (see the owner's manual.) Any additional lube completely defeats the purpose of lubrication, which is:
    1. To make the gun run more smoothly, and
    2. To extend the life of the gun by reducing abrasion.
    Excess lube does the opposite, because it combines with powder residue, primer shavings, dust, and any other crud to form a sludge. That sludge does two things:
    1. It inhibits the smooth functioning of the gun, and
    2. It is an abrasive that accelerates wear and reduces the life of the gun.
    At the Glock facility in Smyrna, GA, by far the most common "repair" is cleaning (especially the firing pin channel) gunked up guns from owners who slop solvent everywhere and then glop oil in every nook and cranny they can find. If you can see the lubricant, it is way too much.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Grossly overlubricating handguns is one of the most common errors. Handguns only need microscopic films of lubricant and only on the critical bearing surfaces (see the owner's manual.) Any additional lube completely defeats the purpose of lubrication, which is:
    1. To make the gun run more smoothly, and
    2. To extend the life of the gun by reducing abrasion.
    Excess lube does the opposite, because it combines with powder residue, primer shavings, dust, and any other crud to form a sludge. That sludge does two things:
    1. It inhibits the smooth functioning of the gun, and
    2. It is an abrasive that accelerates wear and reduces the life of the gun.
    At the Glock facility in Smyrna, GA, by far the most common "repair" is cleaning (especially the firing pin channel) gunked up guns from owners who slop solvent everywhere and then glop oil in every nook and cranny they can find. If you can see the lubricant, it is way too much.

I have no idea why you quoted what I said to say this, unless you've misunderstood or are assuming something in it.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats on the purchase, haven't fired a Glock before but my dad likes his.

I am a firm believer in field stripping, cleaning and and lubing a firearm myself. My new personal favorite CLP is Frog Lube. Can not go wrong with it!

Hope you enjoy it.

Indye41

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Westfield
    It was $609+tax. I considered the 17, but have only read positive reviews on the 19 and its concealability. Figured it'd save me the purchase of another gun. I am now covered for HD and conceal carry, next will be a rifle; hopefully things settle down and pricing gets back to normal. Would really like a Scar 16s

How much did you pay for it? If you dont care to share. Seems as thought lots of people get either 17 or 19 for their first gun. Which is what I think I might get after I get my LTCH. They seems to be harder to find lately.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Congrats Indy41.

I have the Glock 23, which is the same gun as the 19 but in 40 S&W, and love it. It is a great compromise between being concealable and controllable. I also have the 27, 20, and 29. Like my Glocks.

I can shoot the 27 well, but it just doesn't feel as good in my larger hands.

As far as cleaning, I would break it down and inspect it, swab the barrel to dry, and leave the copper factory lube on for a while. Maybe after a few hundred rounds, break it down for cleaning and lube. After that, I would clean it after every shooting session, but that is just me... I don't like carrying a dirty gun.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    The 19 was my first Glock too, now regulated to Mrs. Steel Core, I carry a G-23 or G-27, and we practice at Pops Indoor every other thursday. Come join us!

Indye41

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Westfield
    Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like its 50/50 on cleaning but definitely break it down and inspect it before hitting the range. Now all I need is to find some 9mm ammo!

The 19 was my first Glock too, now regulated to Mrs. Steel Core, I carry a G-23 or G-27, and we practice at Pops Indoor every other thursday. Come join us!

I may take you up on that.

Last edited:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like its 50/50 on cleaning but definitely break it down and inspect it before hitting the range. Now all I need is to find some 9mm ammo!

I may take you up on that.

Indy Trading Post had quite a bit as of yesterday evening! Prices seemed to be normal!

beware, they breed like rabbits.

Hahahaha :):

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Lol, that's what I'm hoping because what he said is more than a little true :)

Found that out the hard way. My first gun was a Marlin .22, I was probably 10 years old. Took the bad boy out to shoot, brought it back to clean it, decided I had better put a little lubricant in there. Next time I went to shoot...hah!

Lessons learned!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Congrats on the G19. That was my 1st Glock, have a G26 now too. When I carry my G26 I always have the extra mag from the G19 with me. A politically incorrect 15 round mag:D

Top Bottom