• ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I prefer to be anonymous!

The smartest way to go. It is one thing to discuss some ideas on here such as canning, radio advice, or camping gear versus going on televison showing your house, family, firearms, food, water, and who knows what else. You are risking being looted even before a disaster occurs. I have seen some previews on NGC and in my opinion a few of the people would greatly increase their survival chances by losing a few pounds. I am heavy and I know it but compared to what I have seen on there I am in shape:laugh:

One thing that has hit home with me after getting into things a little more is making myself get into better shape. I am still young enough that my age makes up for some shortfalls but I won't have that luxury in 10-15 years and need to do something about it way before then. It seems to be a common myth amongst a lot of the prepper community that we can roll off the couch and do a ten mile hike to get a family member without issue. However, in reality I would venture that 10% of us are in good enough shape to do what we may need to do in a time of crisis.:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    what a joke,kill ur tvs.its bad enough every all these cityboys watch versus the come out to hunt my neck of the woods,and all they do is scare off the game and leave a mess

^^^^this^^^^
    I see no good from this. If it gets more folks involved for the right reasons then good. I saw some commercials last night that may not shine a positive light on us as a group or faction.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I'm looking forward to the show, but I am afraid that the cast will make themselves and the prepping community look like fools.

I agree! However, it could be good as well since a few people might get the switch flipped in their heads to at least prepare for storms or power outages a little more.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I'm looking forward to the show, but I am afraid that the cast will make themselves and the prepping community look like fools.

One thing about this comment though....you really shouldn't care to much if you are a good prepper. I'm new compared to a lot of people but in my opinion the best prepper is one that nobody knows about. You are much better off if you have a house full of stuff and none of your neighbors have a clue what you are doing. Also, during a crisis a good prepper is the one who doesn't have his generator running 24/7 and living it up. I remember reading over at ARF about a guy who had a neighbor tell him he needed to give him the stove, propane, and other items he had prepped so that the other man could take care of his family. It is a morals issue to help people but it is not your place to sacrifice your own family to take care of the guy who is driving the $50K new truck.:twocents:

Philabuster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Laporte, IN
    One thing about this comment though....you really shouldn't care to much if you are a good prepper. I'm new compared to a lot of people but in my opinion the best prepper is one that nobody knows about. You are much better off if you have a house full of stuff and none of your neighbors have a clue what you are doing. Also, during a crisis a good prepper is the one who doesn't have his generator running 24/7 and living it up. I remember reading over at ARF about a guy who had a neighbor tell him he needed to give him the stove, propane, and other items he had prepped so that the other man could take care of his family. It is a morals issue to help people but it is not your place to sacrifice your own family to take care of the guy who is driving the $50K new truck.:twocents:

True, but in my mind I wish the whole country believed in prepping, which would lower the risks of violence in a time of crisis. If obama came out with a prepping special all of the sudden more people who thought it was foolish would actually DO it. I want the cast to not look foolish so that MORE people join the party.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth

thats the spin of media...they got to make it entertaining the first show wasn't to bad this one will be worse.....but if it get someone thinking i don't care .......and do you realize how many people think your a fool for prepping for anything long term.......media have been making survivalist/preppers..nuts .for 30 years it nothing new....anything done in a media TV show on prepping will make you look like kinda nutty to the masses.....;)

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    sometime you got to have a good laugh

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN7asmyMu6g&context=C3c09d8aADOEgsToPDskKidrrWrlqm5uLTvZCGNZ57[/ame]

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    So....I was sitting here bored this morning and decided to check out the Discovery web site for doomsday preppers and just laughed, it seems like they have pulled out the crazies for this one, I know its tv, but i just watched one of the videos and the girl (ex-stripper) was talking about shooting her cat in the back of the head if she has to bug out, the title for one guy is the hillbilly prepper and so on, In general it looks like they are trying to make us look insane rather than sane! Just my opinion, maybe it will make for good tv but i doub it!

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    A piece I was reading this morning points out that there was more than a bit of misrepresentation by NG in this series. Looks like they may have gone out of their way to make folks look like a bunch of crazies. Never can trust the media.

How National Geographic misrepresented the foxhole atheist Doomsday Prepper

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. I had already noticed that they had changed up the format of the series from the very first one to make them seem 'off' or crazy. Take it for what it is, see if you can pick up any ideas from what they do show. That's about the best I can say to what I have seen in the new episodes.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    I just watched video. It appears that Dsarti...big, former truck driver, who appeared on the NatGeo show Doomsday Preppers, has been forced into the healthcare/psychiatric system here in Tennessee, and had his guns taken away from him. Just days after appearing on national television...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUv9pjxq5QI&feature=uploademail"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUv9p...re=uploademail[/ame]

He has subsequently given up on prepping...and has stopped making youtube videos.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    A piece I was reading this morning points out that there was more than a bit of misrepresentation by NG in this series. Looks like they may have gone out of their way to make folks look like a bunch of crazies. Never can trust the media.

How National Geographic misrepresented the foxhole atheist Doomsday Prepper

Ummmmmm they did !!! They would never pick some run of the mill middle class person working 8 hours a day with a job. There may have been a few good ideas put out, but the delivery was sadly lacking and makes us all look like crazy wierdos.

:twocents:

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Watched one of the two episodes that have been on, and that segment at the end about the possibilities of the events the people were prepping for actually occurring made it pretty obvious they were painting the preppers as a bunch of nutcases.

Top Bottom