• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Hey right now i have a a basic 9mm, its a decent gun but i'm looking to find a new gun to cc, i want something that pacts more punch than my 9mm but thats not so big it would be hard to conceal in my normal jeans and t shirt. so whats every body's favorite cc gun? thanks for any and all ideas

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Your current choice of 9mm is fine. If you want more 'punch', carry a rifle/shotgun.

We carry handguns because they are more convenient and concealable. ALL handgun rounds are weak (in comparison).

Personally, I'd stick to a weapon of the Glock/M&P flavor.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    yeah i know there all fairly weak but i feel like my little mokarov is extremely weak in comparison to other guns lol

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    yeah i know there all fairly weak but i feel like my little mokarov is extremely weak in comparison to other guns lol

The particular rounds you may have been feeding your Mak could be somewhat anemic, but there are plenty of good 9mm HP rounds available these days.

Wait. . . do they make Maks in 9mm?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    did i put that question in the wrong spot? lol

No, but it's an extremely vague question. Here's my take:

I carry a Springfield XD9sc (subcompact).

I like 9mm because I can actually afford to practice with it on a regular basis. Sure, .40 or .45 has more punch, but if I can't practice with it, it's useless to me. The 9mm cartridge is a fair balance between power and cost for me.

I like the Springfield XD line because the ergonomics fit my hand and the way I shoot. I also like some of the features such as the grip safety. You may find that a Glock or a HiPoint, or some flavor of 1911 suit you better. There is no right or wrong answer here, it's what suits YOU.

I carry a subcompact because it's easier and more comfortable to conceal. There are other, smaller 9mm hand guns, but they don't suit me like my XD does.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    The particular rounds you may have been feeding your Mak could be somewhat anemic, but there are plenty of good 9mm HP rounds available these days.

Wait. . . do they make Maks in 9mm?

apparantly it i guess its made in bulgaria or something i dont really know but you have to buy weird 9mm ammo for it

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    apparantly it i guess its made in bulgaria or something i dont really know but you have to buy weird 9mm ammo for it

I had to Google it. Maks are 9x18, so they're not "true" 9mms.

Interwebs said:
    Can I fire .380 ACP ammo in my 9x18M Makarov?

NO NO NO NO NO !!! There are those that disagree with me including an author of an article in Handguns magazine and gun dealers who wants to sell you a Makarov. The 9x18M cartridge is not a "true" 9mm because it's really 9.2mm. Therefore the bullets are sized .364" and .365" (barrel sizes vary...slugging yours is best to find out your bore size). Yes, you can probably get away with it a few times, but accuracy will suffer, you'll get gas blow-by, your barrel will wear out faster and for what? Save a few pennies? Hardly. 9x18M ammo is usually cheaper since you can get it surplus. If you absolutely want to shoot .380 ACP ammo from your Makarov, then buy a .380 Makarov or a .380 replacement barrel.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Just get a good XD glock gun in your favorite cal. and remember if you get a 9mm people will tease you and if you get a .45 you are just making up for a small um you get it. Just get one that is easy to use, fits your hand, and does what it was made to do; reliably through chunks of metal at things.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My favorite carry gun, it's my Kimber Tactical Ultra II .45 cal

Kimber_TU_005.jpg

Also I either carry a Glock 30 or a Glock 26

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    i carry a glock 27. i chose a glock because it feels great in my hand and it's fun to shoot. it is a little thick in my waistband, but its a great CC gun. you should definitely go handle the guns you narrow the selection down to, in order to figure out what you like.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I picked up this little pocket gun the other day. I haven't fired it yet, but I hear it packs a decent punch.
    DE03.JPG

Here it is with my old EDC, the Glock 27:
    DE04.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom