• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I made a trip to PSS tonight and as usual, walked out with a great deal (Thanks guys!) I picked up a Rock Island Compact Tactical 45ACP, a set of Hogue grips, and 2 boxes of range ammo for an incredible price. I had narrowed my choice to the Kimber Ultra Carry II or the RIA. After looking at the price difference, and considering how pleased I've been with my full-size Tactical RIA, I went with another Rock.

I only had time after the sale to run about 80 rounds thru it and I was really impressed. Not one FTF or FTE. Tonight I've already ordered a complete set of new springs from Wilson and this weekend I plan on putting another 400 rounds or so downrange. I just need to settle on what I'll be using to carry it and by next week it should be my daily carry weapon. I'm pumped!

s62mgn.jpg

16ld734.jpg

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    yes, please let me know the price. i am seriously interested in a RIA 1911. PMif necessary.

very good looking gun btw. congrats. ;) how does shooting the compact compare to the full size?

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    PM's sent to both of you. As for a comparison, it was great. This weekend I'll have both out and will be able to do a better comparison. Recoil was fine. About the only thing I noticed was it seemed to be a bit louder but with a 3.5" barrel that's to be expected.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    no kidding, and i just picked up a commander today in a trade!

something about those 1911s, i tell ya....
    And being a compact is even better, it looks great with those hogues (always been a fan):ar15: Time to tell the little lady I'm pinching pennies for a few more months....again.:D

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i see a lot RIA guns around and because they were so cheap i thought the quality was low but a lot of guys like them.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Looks good. These have to be some of the best deals going. I'd like to get a hold of one sometime. How's the trigger?

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Very good pickup, I had the same gun sent in to PSS from Balinshire Guns(on GB) for $425. They got a little ticked that I did'nt order from them. Very nice gun, you guys should pick them up.

1911photos006.jpg

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i was in PSS today, but they were out of all the RIAs. :(

bradis had a few but they were pricier than what the OP got his for. i tried haggling, but to no avail. ended up in beech grove and set on picking up the GI they had, but a Taurus .357 caught my eye (and my wallet). :)

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I'm curious, why did you order new springs from Wilson?

I've had my eye on these guns for a while, and am glad you're happy with yours.

After 250 rounds last night, and another 200 this morning, I'm even more pleased with my compact RIA than I thought. This morning I scrounged up a few mixed mags of lead RN, JHP's, and FMJ's, all of dubious age and origin, just to see if I could get a FTF or FTE. Nada, zip, zilch. I even limp-wristed a couple of times just trying to get the beast to jam but it was smooth as silk all the way. I cleaned it every 6 rounds for the first 5 mags last night and today, I cleaned it every 25 rounds for the first 100. Finally, I ran the last 100 rounds thru without stopping for a cleaning. The last 34 rounds I fired were Wolf 230 gr FMJ, steel case. The Wolf burns dirty so I thought if anything was going to clog it up, that would do the trick.
    To be fair, my new springs (firing pin and recoil spring) arrived Friday so I was able to get them installed before last night's shooting. To Mickar15, you asked why I changed the springs. It's just a habit I've gotten into with my 1911's and I think Wilson makes a great product. I think the recoil spring's from Wilson help reduce the battering a 1911 slide and frame take and the extra-power firing pin spring help reduce the risk of an accidental discharge in case of a dropped weapon.
    All in all, I couldn't be happier. The RIA has been cleaned and loaded with Speer Lawman JHP's. Now I'm deciding if I should add night-sights or not and maybe having an OD green and black Dura Cote job done on it.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    i see a lot RIA guns around and because they were so cheap i thought the quality was low but a lot of guys like them.

I LOVE MINE!

Best bit of advice with the RIAs is use Quality mags! I have two, both GIs and one with the stock spring(unsure of the spring rate) and the other with a Wolff 18.5# spring, you can definately tell the difference and it is more controlable making it more accurate to me.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Uh oh, I think I also am geting the itch. Although I already have the Kimber SS Ultra II and a Colt Defender I probably need one of these for comparison. Ha -Ha! If you don't mind me asking. What did it set you back?

Top Bottom