• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I used to go on a lot of test hops on 757's after HMV also. The pilots were former Navy pilots and it always felt like they tried to mimic what them fighters did with that airliner.
    Same deal as the video. no passengers , luggage and minimal fuel. They feel like rocket ships sitting up there in the flight deck with all that available thrust and minimal weight on board.
    All that said that 787 looks AWESOME.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dude, you better never fly Air France then. Everytime I fly into Berlin from Paris, the pilots make their approach like they're coming into a hot LZ. It was a hot knuckle ride for those used to the gentile way American pilots perform.
    People really don't understand how different foreign airlines are compared to American ones. I flew out of Romania once (and NEVER again), and when we were getting in the plane, my friend pointed out a HOLE in the wing! I almost didn't get on the plane I was so scared and WTF. I told my pop about the situation (he works for UA), and he explained that the tolerances on commercial airlines are ridiculous, and that there really wasn't any danger.....but still.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My uncle told a story of flying in Russia just after the demise of the USSR...with interior panels missing and loose wires hanging out and such. It did not inspire confidence.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My uncle told a story of flying in Russia just after the demise of the USSR...with interior panels missing and loose wires hanging out and such. It did not inspire confidence.

Different world in Eastern Europe. Believe it or not, the only time I keep mouth shut consistently, is whenever I'm east of Potsdam. I've been around some pretty scary people in the States, but in the east, a guy wearing an adidas track suit and gold chains.... White guy mind you, gives me the shakes, lol. I'll take a guy with gold teeth and sagging pants named "Lil Trill" over a guy with sterling silver teeth named "Ivan" any day. But to be fair, most of the ppl I've met out east have been really nice (when they find up I'm not African, lol)....English speaking, American privilege. It's real.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

I have been dropped off and picked up more than I wanted to while working in Africa with different Russian Aircraft. I was constantly amazed that they flew but did so very well in the poor condition that they were in. And yes many panels missing and balls of wires and hoses hanging out everywhere.

The worst pos I think I flew on was Prinair we were taking a hopp from Puerto Rico to St Thomas back in the eightys. The plane was a Dehavilland heron, when each of the 4 engines started it blew blue oil smoke like a Vega for 10-15 seconds. The plane had alum patches all over it that were pop rivited in place but the stress cracks had grown beyound the patches. It was set up like a jump plane, no door on the cockpit, we sat in the front seats behind the co-pilot and my wife asked him why we were flying so close to the ground ? He told her they were limited to a ceiling of 2000 ft.. She didn't ask any more questions.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've been around some pretty scary people in the States, but in the east, a guy wearing an adidas track suit and gold chains.... White guy mind you, gives me the shakes, lol. I'll take a guy with gold teeth and sagging pants named "Lil Trill" over a guy with sterling silver teeth named "Ivan" any day.

Eastern Europeans/Russians are the craziest white people on earth. Worked with several Serbs, a couple Russians, and a Czech. Crazy is prolly unfair, more like shockingly unpredictable and impossible for an untrained westerner to read.:n00b:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have flown into Moscow a couple of times. All you need to know is that it is the Russian custom for passengers to clap and cheer after a successful landing.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Doesn't wing area relate to lift? There must be an optimum area for each individual plane. Maybe the thrust overcomes my concern. Just guessing on something I know nothing about.

Area is just one variable in a large equation. I'm far from an expert, but the shape of the airfoil makes as much of a difference. Also factor in the speed to be used and performance expectation of the aircraft. Keep in mind cargo and passenger planes are essentially hollow vs fighter jets packed solid. Add the control surfaces like slats, flaps, etc that can add 1/3 to the area but drastically change the airfoil shape so they can take off and land at a crawl but have to be retracted quickly because if you left them open at cruising speed... either you'd never reach cruising speed from the drag or it'd rip them off from all the lift generated. Next time you fly, try to sit just behind the wing so you can watch the control surfaces (and see them flutter in turbulence)

Dude, you better never fly Air France then. Everytime I fly into Berlin from Paris, the pilots make their approach like they're coming into a hot LZ. It was a hot knuckle ride for those used to the gentile way American pilots perform.
    People really don't understand how different foreign airlines are compared to American ones. I flew out of Romania once (and NEVER again), and when we were getting in the plane, my friend pointed out a HOLE in the wing! I almost didn't get on the plane I was so scared and WTF. I told my pop about the situation (he works for UA), and he explained that the tolerances on commercial airlines are ridiculous, and that there really wasn't any danger.....but still.

Flew Indonesian air once, not by my choice. I did notice there were a *few* more vibrations, squeaks, and rattles than the worst US domestic (or intl) flight I've been on. Taking off was like "gee, we sure have been gently accelerating a while, I wonder how long the runway is..." compared to all other flights I've been on where they run the throttles up and you get pushed back in your seat.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My uncle flew into Moscow, then to several places internally in Russia just after the fall of the USSR. He described wires hanging out inside the airplane, nearly all (but not all) of the luggage compartment doors missing, seats that were never great to begin with with tears and with springs sticking out....but don't worry, I'm sure they maintained that Soviet-era airframe and engines just fine.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    compared to all other flights I've been on where they run the throttles up and you get pushed back in your seat.

When I was still at UAL here at Indy I was having dinner one evening and some weather was headed our way. While watching the end of a runway I saw a 737 take off and roll right similar to the OP video or something you would see a fighter accomplish. I remembered thinking that he was going to be hearing about THAT one shortly after arrival from the powers that be. When I headed back down to the hangar and went back to work which coincidentally was on a 757 weather radar. We had the bird out on the ramp so we could run some tests and I fired up the radar and saw a "YUGE" red blob right off the end of the runway. I guess that explained the aggressive takeoff pattern the pilot chose. I can just imagine the scene in the passenger area!:runaway::alcoholic::faint:

Top Bottom