• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • white-eye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Boone county
    I just got back from the northwoods of Wisconsin saturday. The first week we was up their one morning I woke to the sound of what I thought was a dog laping up water. I went to the cabin door opened it up and their was bear drinking the cooking oil out of the fish frying pot. We had us a eye to eye moment before he turned and ran into the woods. We saw many more crossing the roads while there, pretty cool experience.

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Have had many encounters with black bears while canoe tripping in the Quetico Provincal Park years ago. They can usually be chased off but still need to be respected as powerful animal.

Example: we found the toilet paper roll, (standard size before big and mega rolls) left on a skinny stub branch at the open privy, with three claw holes clear through the center tube.

Saw one swim 200 yards to our campsite island from the mainland about noon after we had fried bacon for breakfast earlier. We could hear the downed branches and twigs breaking as he moved through the thick pines behind camp. As the bear showed himself at the edge of the camp clearing, four of us were already spread out about 60 feet apart and made lots of noise banging pots, waving canoe paddles in large arcs over our heads, yelling, etc. Once the bear turned to leave, we advanced at half his speed and watched him re-enter the lake and swim back to the mainland. We couldn't let him just have the food pack as we were 14 miles in from the car on the second day of a 7 day trip.

No firearms allowed, all we could have defended ourselves with were fishing/hunting knives and a 3/4 axe.

Dont even care to encounter his bigger cousins.

Last edited:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    The park rangers when I was at Glacier National Park always said the bells were dinner bells letting the bears know when it was time to eat and the pepper spray helped to add some flavor to the "white meat" since the bears were used to eating Indians.

Top Bottom