• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have been buying NB for years, I like the Wide widths, and I need to wear custom orthotics most of the time, which don't fit well in lots of shoes. Just bought a new pair a few weeks ago.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....I used to be in the athletic shoe business. You could always tell the USA made new balances without even looking for the "made" in USA tag. They looked like garbage and QC was terrible.

Let alone, they are pretty much just glued together in the US. (Unless things have changed since I was in the industry). At one point, I believe they had some lawsuits because they were not doing enough of the manufacturing in the US. Looks like now they are "70% of the cost of manufacturing" made in the US. So pretty much still just glued together / assembled here. You can almost get an entire shoe made in a 3rd world country, then slap a sticker on the shoe in the US, and 70% of the cost of manufacturing will be from slapping on that sticker.

Always got a kick out of people that only bought the "made in US" NB's. What a joke.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Boycotting a shoe manufacturer, merely because its owner voiced support for the president-elect?

But I thought it was Trump and his supporters who were supposed to be the fascists?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lol.....I used to be in the athletic shoe business. You could always tell the USA made new balances without even looking for the "made" in USA tag. They looked like garbage and QC was terrible.

Let alone, they are pretty much just glued together in the US. (Unless things have changed since I was in the industry). At one point, I believe they had some lawsuits because they were not doing enough of the manufacturing in the US. Looks like now they are "70% of the cost of manufacturing" made in the US. So pretty much still just glued together / assembled here. You can almost get an entire shoe made in a 3rd world country, then slap a sticker on the shoe in the US, and 70% of the cost of manufacturing will be from slapping on that sticker.

Always got a kick out of people that only bought the "made in US" NB's. What a joke.

Like I said earlier, I was always a Nike fan, but the NB shoes I've been getting hold up every bit as well as the Nikes. :dunno: I worked in the shoe business for several years too, and gluing is probably the most common way to put together athletic shoes. I don't recall ever seeing much stitching other than on the upper.

Edit: After rereading your post, maybe I misunderstood your point. I was thinking it was about how they were constructed, but maybe you were more concerned with the "where" than the "how". That's pretty much true about a lot of things we consider to be "made in the USA".

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The upper is like a giant stitched together sock. The upper is glued to the midsole that is glued to the outsole. Sloppy terrible gluing on the US made ones. They'll wear the same either way, though.

Mileage and how they wear (speaking about athletic shoes) has much to do with the midsole material and how your foot hits the ground. What wears well for one person may wear really quick for another. For example, I only get about 100 miles out of a pair of Nike Pegasus because I blow through the midsole under the big toe. I get about 500 miles out of Nike Structures because there's a bit of a medial post that shoves my foot out and keeps me from blowing through that area under my big toe as quick.

Then you have the subject of midsole material itself. Nike is known for having very soft comfy shoes. Because they're like marshmallows, you compress the midsole to where it's unusable slightly quicker than the midsole material of some other companies (like NB, Brooks, etc...). But you have to make sure you're comparing apples and apples here. Not a lightweight flat to a heavy every day trainer or something like that.

Like I said earlier, I was always a Nike fan, but the NB shoes I've been getting hold up every bit as well as the Nikes. :dunno: I worked in the shoe business for several years too, and gluing is probably the most common way to put together athletic shoes. I don't recall ever seeing much stitching other than on the upper.

Edit: After rereading your post, maybe I misunderstood your point. I was thinking it was about how they were constructed, but maybe you were more concerned with the "where" than the "how". That's pretty much true about a lot of things we consider to be "made in the USA".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The upper is like a giant stitched together sock. The upper is glued to the midsole that is glued to the outsole. Sloppy terrible gluing on the US made ones. They'll wear the same either way, though.

Mileage and how they wear (speaking about athletic shoes) has much to do with the midsole material and how your foot hits the ground. What wears well for one person may wear really quick for another. For example, I only get about 100 miles out of a pair of Nike Pegasus because I blow through the midsole under the big toe. I get about 500 miles out of Nike Structures because there's a bit of a medial post that shoves my foot out and keeps me from blowing through that area under my big toe as quick.

Then you have the subject of midsole material itself. Nike is known for having very soft comfy shoes. Because they're like marshmallows, you compress the midsole to where it's unusable slightly quicker than the midsole material of some other companies (like NB, Brooks, etc...). But you have to make sure you're comparing apples and apples here. Not a lightweight flat to a heavy every day trainer or something like that.
    I've always just gotten the cross trainers. I don't actually use my athletic shoes for athletics. :):

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana

That's why I hate shopping for a true "athletic" shoe vs. one that is just worn for normal activities.

What would you recommend for a bigger guy (260ish) walking shoe? I also tend to wear out around the big toe and over pronate?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Guess I've never seen a tennis shoes/sneaker/athletic shoe/whatever they're properly called that wasn't just simply glued together.

Then again, only ever gotten the $35 Nikes.

Even if glued, the NB are probably quite the step up in terms of durability.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Not all of their shoes are made in USA, but that is easily determined by looking at the tongue where it will say "Assembled in USA of foreign and domestic components."
    There may be some that are even 100% made here, but that's been good enough for me.
    I currently have four pairs, one beater pair that has holes for mowing and other work, another pair for day to day wear, a third that I've only worn once or twice that will be my next day to day, and a fourth in the box still unworn.
    My wife's are also NB, although I was unable to find a single pair made in USA for women when I shopped for them in Kohl's, so oh well there.
    It's nice to finally hear about a manufacturer whose product I have specifically sought for being one of the very few of its kind sometimes still made here and know that they believe at least partially as I do.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Go to a running shoe specific store (not Dicks, Cabellas, or other sports store. Go to a real running shoe store that specializes in running shoes and fitting). They can look at how much you pronate and recommend a shoe with the appropriate amount of medial posting and stability features. Try on all the shoes in the category they put you in. Pick the most comfy of those shoes. Everyone always tries to figure out the "secret" brand that is the best. There isn't one (Brooks, Asics, Saucony, Nike, New Balance, Mizuno, etc... they all make a good product). Get the one that's most comfy to your foot.

At least buy the first pair of the shoe you like in that store (not online). Nothing worse than someone coming in and having you do a complete fit up so they can figure out what they like and then buy it online. I did a lot of that when I worked in a running store. People would come in, I'd spend an hour + fitting them and working with them, and then they'd ask me to write down the model number they liked so they could buy it online. Infuriating!

For a 260 lb guy, I've seen guys that pronate so dang bad it looks like their ankles are going to break. Normally put them in a Brooks Beast or something like that. I've also seen 260 lb guys that are light on their feet and supinate or just need a really mild medial post.

That's why I hate shopping for a true "athletic" shoe vs. one that is just worn for normal activities.

What would you recommend for a bigger guy (260ish) walking shoe? I also tend to wear out around the big toe and over pronate?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have to call Al Bundy for shoes now.
    I have never owned NB shoes but my mother swears by them and has for years. She broke her ankle and foot back in the '80s and she says it's the only shoe that doesn't make her foot and ankle hurt.
    I'll buy a couple of pairs for my son and myself to see how they do for us. I'll keep watch on where they're made and assembled as well.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Dangit, we sure have some like minded anal retentive people here on INGO. No wonder I love this place.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have to call Al Bundy for shoes how.
    I have never owned NB shoes but my mother swears by them and has for years. She broke her ankle and foot back in the '80s and she says it's the only shoe that doesn't make her foot and ankle hurt.
    I'll buy a couple of pairs for my son and myself to see how they do for us. I'll keep watch on where they're made and assembled as well.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Dangit, we sure have some like minded anal retentive people here on INGO. No wonder I love this place.
    Heh, heh, heh... you said anal... heh, heh...

Top Bottom