• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think Daniel Defense, Troy, and Colt always rank much much too high on these things. Always.

Not saying they're bad, but they're rank seems inflated.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If weight is a major factor.
    Are there any companies that make Magnesium uppers, and lowers, and carbon fiber barreled AR-15 rifles?
    Carbon fiber everything, apparently.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Interesting, my National Match service rifle is RRA & my match rifle has a lot of RRA to it, both have carried me far !!
    Next time a clean a target in my rapids or only drop 1 at 600 (yes I know go clean or go home) I will hold my head in shame as I can only afford this lower end stuff.....

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    If weight is a major factor.
    Are there any companies that make Magnesium uppers, and lowers, and carbon fiber barreled AR-15 rifles?
    ROAM makes AR-10s out of a magnesium allot and is going to start AR15s later this year but no CF barrels.

Magnesium handguards are available from V Seven and they're insanely light, the AR10 variants are way lighter than ROAMs but I would never use a magnesium part personally. They chip and break way too easy.

The 2055/2099 lithium aluminum blended alloy V Seven uses is the best for lightweight and strength that I've seen. That's what I use in my lightweight 16" rifle.

When my can gets here my build is going to be 5.5 lbs - 16" - with suppressor - optics - flashlight.

I could have gotten it down to 5.1 with a SBR and direct thread with a magnesium lower and different CF handguard but the point of this build was to go as light as possible without SBRing it and not losing one bit of strength.

If I add a magnifier I'd be at 5.7-5.8

Weight like that makes a huge difference - you said earlier in the thread that a few ounces didn't make a difference but they absolutely do. Every part on this build saved at least a few grams in order to save 3-4 POUNDS at the end of it all.

But as far as factory lightweight pre-built - ROAM, V Seven, and Faxon are probably going to have the lightest options.

Edit:

I could have saved another half pound almost by going with a pencil barrel too, but I wasn't going for just weight. Strength was the point, weight strong 2nd.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    8oz isn't going to make much of a difference. Now a few lbs would. However, I don't see a Mil Spec 16" AR-15 carbine weight bring much different than another.
    The difference could easily be close to a couple pounds between most ARs and something like the Fostech which comes in under 5 lbs. Still, I'm not sure that's going to be much of a difference when so many people go and hang another 10lbs. of doodads off on it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have to admit, this has been a fascinating thread. There were a couple Mfr that i had not heard of before.
    that V seven sounds interesting.
    Of course an H&K is always good for angering the Poors.
    There is something about a Larue that was always attractive.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have to admit, this has been a fascinating thread. There were a couple Mfr that i had not heard of before.
    that V seven sounds interesting.
    Of course an H&K is always good for angering the Poors.
    There is something about a Larue that was always attractive.
    Yep I'd take a LaRue over the rest of those if i had the choice. FN, IWI, Daniel Defense are all good choices as well.
    I think Aero deserves a better spot. I think they must be going by price only.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    :abused:

Fed_Chart_jpg-2504379.JPG
    DD is fed? Oooo well dang Ill have to keep that in mind next time. My cost for my HK, FN, and DD whent from least to most in the order I stated just now.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Yep I'd take a LaRue over the rest of those if i had the choice. FN, IWI, Daniel Defense are all good choices as well.
    I think Aero deserves a better spot. I think they must be going by price only.
    I second that.

If money was no concern and I could only have one brand listed I'd go with LaRue.

If money was a factor Aero all the way 100%. Aeros quality for the price is incredible IMO. Hell, their quality regardless of price is up there with the best.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’m happy with my Mid Tier B Colts. Some are older than a few members here and still work fine. I’d like a fancy schmancy AR someday just to say I had one, but I don’t see it happening.

Top Bottom