• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I would like to get an AR type rifle but there are so many out there I figured I would get some input onto a good starting point. I have been looking through the selection and I have detirmed I want a 20" barrel and a classic M16 look. Are the cheaper guns that seem to be pieced together from different companies ok shooters? Also, do they hold up as well as the pricier guns? Thanks for the help.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would like to get an AR type rifle but there are so many out there I figured I would get some input onto a good starting point. I have been looking through the selection and I have detirmed I want a 20" barrel and a classic M16 look. Are the cheaper guns that seem to be pieced together from different companies ok shooters? Also, do they hold up as well as the pricier guns? Thanks for the help.

My :twocents: is to buy a complete upper that you want from one of many dealers. The lower can be bought locally at your local gun shop, and you can usually get a lower parts kit from them as well and assemble that part yourself.

Depending on budget, you can look at Model 1, Delton, and a few others on the less expensive end (but still good quality) or work your way up in price from there.

The nice thing is that AR's can be pretty much franken-guns and still shoot well. The nice thing about buying all the parts from the same supplier is that the fit and finish (especially the black) will be similar and match well.

Some companies have a very nice black finish, some are more grey, others glossy, others matte, and some even have a purple tint to them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What do you want it to do?

Competition shooting is one thing, hunting is another, plinking,...

Some of the "mongrels" can be very pricey as well. It all depends on what you expect out of one.

An inexpensive, yet serviceable AR15 can be obtained for $600-$800, perfectly capable of hunting varmints, or poking holes in paper.

Competition shooting can run into multiple thousands, if you care to spend it.

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have heard so many theories on AR's about the quality of manufacture. I start to wonder if they aren't all made by the same people and branded for each distributor. Is a $650 Olympic arms inferior to a RR or Bushmaster, etc? Do you really get what you pay for or are the more expensive models the result of better marketing?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have heard so many theories on AR's about the quality of manufacture. I start to wonder if they aren't all made by the same people and branded for each distributor. Is a $650 Olympic arms inferior to a RR or Bushmaster, etc? Do you really get what you pay for or are the more expensive models the result of better marketing?

There is some truth to this, but yes, at some level you do get what you pay for.

There are a handful of barrel makers, as well as a few forging houses that make the uppers and lowers.

There are then many more machine shops that machine those forgings into finished uppers and lowers. Some are in house shops for the bigger manufactures, and some make parts as a sub contractor for other brand names.

In the end, there are MANY different assemblers that make complete uppers, lowers, etc. and who also sell kits for the do-it-yourself type.

There is some really good stuff over on AR15.com that lists the different forging and machining houses that make a majority of the stuff out on the market today. Is there a difference?

Actually in many cases yes, and most of that lies in the level of precision, finish, and inspection that the parts undergo. I'll see if I can find it, but would surmise that another INGO member or two will beat me to the punch.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Here's a "starting point" for some of the manufacturers. Keep in mind that it is not a 1:1 ratio between features 'checked' and the quality of the rifle (it's worth reading the whole document and not just the chart part).

Tacticalyellowvisor.net

The biggest factor is what purpose the rifle will serve, like someone already mentioned. If it will sit in a safe and be shot a few times a year from a bench at the range almost any make / model will do. If you want one for duty use, home defense, or training courses with a moderate to high round count you may want to consider one of the mid to upper end rifles.

As for a cheaper gun holding up as well as a pricier one, it won't, not if it will be used heavily. A good analogy is looking at cars. Will a Kia hold up as well as an Audi? Bravo Company seems to make a reasonably priced AR that is good quality.

One thing that I've noticed about my past purchases of whatever is that sometimes when I buy something that is a "good deal" (meaning cheaper) I've been disappointed. It either doesn't do something I would have liked it to do, or it does something I don't want. I've never spent a little more initially, for better quality, then gone back and did a :ugh:.

Good luck. :cheers:

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    The second AR that I bought was a complete rifle.I think I paid 975 for it,but It will shoot right up there with rifles that cost 2k and up. I've gotten several .25 moa with it.Couldnt be more pleased.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I will just be shooting it for fun honestly, no major competitions. I have seen a lot of century arms and calvary arms out there for around $700. My friend has a DPMS he paid $900 for and it's very nice in my humble opinion. I will check into you guys ideas amd I appreciate it!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Something to consider. You might learn alot more about the rifle and be more comfortable with it if you buy the parts and attend of of the assembly parties they put together on here. You can buy a piece at a time and find really good deals. My current build is $65 for stripped lower + Lower parts kit $58 + 6 position collapsible stock $60= $183!!! I have found collapsible stocks for as cheap as $49 since. You will find out how everything works and wont be afraid to upgrade if you get more serious as the build goes along.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Midway is a good place to look online. Just to get an idea of what's out there.

Some things might be found for less with some patience.

Top Bottom