• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KFIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    I am new to really even thinking about guns. I am thinking though now about it.
    I was attacked at college and help at knife point for 3 hours so I know the scum that walks around in the public. Thankfully I believe God was my salvation that day.

I now have small at home business and deal mostly with women, but ocassionally men will call and I am uncomfortable with men coming alone for my business.

(Nothing shady or illegal, but I don't wish to tell just what I do. Less known about me keeps me safer posting here I think. Never know who is reading.)

Anyway, if I wanted to protect myself what might be the best way? i
    am thinking of maybe an ankle holster. I get deliveries at the door, have folks drop by to see if I am open, etc and I don't always know who is there.
    I give lessons sometimes and even with woman and man coming, I don't really know either of them.

An ankle holster would always be out of sight, but I would always know where it is.
    I do a good deal of reaching and bending in my business and worry other holsters will get in my way or be more noticeable.

I do have grandbaby but she is not here often. But child safety is a concern, so leaving it out in the open or just under an edge of a table might be someplace she would be able to find it and be injured.

I also don't want to be too quick to reach for the gun because sometimes my own family drops in or comes down our stairs quietly while my loud machine is running and I don't hear them til they speak and then I jump.

I worry I would too quickly reach for a belt holstered gun and maybe shoot someone I love.

I think thought I need a gun nearby all the time since I never know what will be coming to my door and when.

I am in southern area of Indiana, and wondering if anyone in this area has taken a class from a policeman who offers classes to women only. Or if you have taken classes like this somewhere else, was the class what you needed?

I am concerned about the class I know of at this time because when I asked if I needed a CC license to carry the gun to the range to practice, he said no. I read here that I do need it and it can take a long time to get it. The first class he is offering is in May and another in June or July so I am concerned about the timing to get the license.

He also said I should look into a 22 caliper. I did not see too many recommending this on your site. I would hope to never have a need to use the gun, but I sure don't ever want to be back in the situation I was in in college.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to reply to this.
    KFIN

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    what to use?

These are my opinions and they may not be real popular,but here goes. As far as an ankle holster I would not recommend this. Reasons being they are slow to draw and the position you put yourself into to make the draw puts you in a bad position for a BG to to get the upper hand in the confrontation. I would go for a belt holster or pocket carry. That being said my recommendations for a firearm is to get a 38 spl snubby such as a S+W mdl 36 60 or one of the newer ones such as a 442. Really any of the J frame Smiths' would work. Also Taurus makes a decent 38 snubby. Now as far as a 22 goes some people may take me to task for this ,BUT If you are recoil sensitive or new around firearms go for the 22. My sole pick is the S+W mdl 317. 8 shot all aluminum, only weighs 9 ounces! Loaded with stingers or mini-mags it makes a great pocket gun.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    First. I would suggest some training for sure. That should take care of the "afraid to shoot someone I love" aspect.

Secondly, I am not big on an ankle holster for a primary gun as it isn't exactly quick or easy to deploy, even with training. For deep concealment, I prefer pocket carry as it at least doesn't require you to kneel/bend over to draw and people standing with their hands in their pants is pretty common possibly making it a pretty descreet draw. Ankle carry is good for a back up gun (BUG) or a back up to a back up (waist, pocket, and ankle, while it is a bit too much for me, I do know of a few people who do this). This is just one person's opinion though.

As for women only training. I really don't see how women only training would be much different than a man, other than purse carry (which I am not a big fan of since purses are very likely to be snatched).

As for .22s. They are a good training aid and a lot of fun, but I wouldn't carry one for self defense. While it is capable of killing an attacker, it just doesn't have enough power to do it quickly and reliably enough.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'd recommend starting with an NRA Basic Pistol Class, or the NRA Fast Start (I think that's what it's called) class.

both should teach you the basic parts of a firearm, as well as the different types (Revolver, Semi-Auto, etc) Part of the class is to help you determine how to select a firearm.

Too Often gun stores push people towards Product X because they get a bonus, or Product Y because "It's small and fits in the purse" etc. A good defensive handgun should be something you shoot well, and fits the role you intend to use it for.

There are far more intelligent folks here than I, that can offer better suggestions. Talk with Pami (My Wife) about training.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Welcome to the Site.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Can you give us some details on the attack so we can all learn from it. Welcome to the site!

I was attacked at college and help at knife point for 3 hours so I know the scum that walks around in the public. Thankfully I believe God was my salvation that day.

KFIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Thanks for the input.
    OLD Highway Man, you mention recoil sensitive. I am a smallish woman and broke my right ( shooting arm near my wrist when little. It gets sore just doing the job I do, and I wonder about the recoil in the little s&W you mention. Again, I don't want to ever shoot anyone unless I must but practice is required and I wonder about practicing and making my arm too sore.

Iron Man, I shall call you that. Iron Man was my son's favorite comic.
    You said I should talk with Pami your wife. How can I do that? Is she online too? And I will do a google to see about an NRA class nearby.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    First, go to a -good- gun shop in your area and hold every single gun they have that looks interesting to you. Pay attention to what people recommend, but you're never going to be comfortable firing a gun that doesn't fit your hand. If you can afford it, look at quality gun manufacturers, especially if you're looking at a .22 pistol. .22s have a lot of FTF (fail to fire, fail to feed), and you need the gun to go boom consistently if you're using it for self-defense.

Take a training class. Or three or four. I can understand wanting a women-only class -- I've been there (as far as the sentiment goes). You're just starting out, you have a lot of questions, and being around people (especially men) who may know more than you intimidates you, right? There are a lot of really great women-only courses, but you probably have to travel to take them. I really wish I could have taken advantage of the Farnams being in town this week, but it just wasn't possible for us. Honestly, taking even the NRA Basic Pistol class is a really good start to getting familiar with guns. And then go to the range a LOT.

On the going to the range without a LTCH -- most ranges don't ask to see it. Technically, which you'll see many discussions of here, it's illegal for you to transport a firearm just about anywhere without an LTCH. Right now, the lifetime licenses are taking about 4 weeks to arrive, so it's not a HUGE amount of time. Go with a friend who has an LTCH if you're uncomfortable transporting a gun to a range without one.

But to highlight the key points: take a training or three, handle LOTS of different guns (don't just buy what the salesperson tells you to), and practice practice practice.

I know being female makes this all that more intimidating, but really, I've found the guys are really REALLY interested in making sure you understand everything. The class will cater to the needs of the least experienced one, and you should take advantage of that. :)

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Pami is on the forum here, yes. When she has some free time, I'm sure she'll run across this post and chime in.
    or, she'll chime in before I get this posted..... See Above. :)

For what it's worth, I broke my right wrist in 4th grade. I don't have any trouble with it at all while shooting, except for one specific make of pistol which happens to have a grip that's "just wrong" for my wrist. Holding a firearm in the gun store, and actually shooting them are completely different. Most ranges have some pistols that can be rented. I'm sure you can find people at the various classes who will let you fire their hand guns during/after the classes as well.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    revokedproducthi1.jpg

For what it's worth, I broke my right wrist in 4th grade. I don't have any trouble with it at all while shooting, except for one specific make of pistol which happens to have a grip that's "just wrong" for my wrist.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Heh... Lars (W9ZEB) had his manhood revoked for suggesting Glocks just aren't a good fit for everyone. He has a point -- I can't stand shooting them either. They tear into my hand and are just uncomfortable to hold. I started out with a Sig Mosquito (a .22 pistol, very easy and comfortable, but only likes CCI Stinger bullets, fyi). I now shoot with a Sig P226 because it's so similar to the Mosquito, but shoots 9mm bullets. More bang! :D

And yes... try to rent as many as you can, too. He's right. Shooting and Holding are two COMPLETELY different things.

KFIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    new and lots of questions when attacked details....

Ah, my details. I was in my dorm with one other a day before campus officially reopened - given permission by campus officials because we had just returned from a band event and home was too far away.
    The guy was hiding in the dorm, and we figured years later he probably got in while cleaning crews had doors open cleaning during the break.
    He waited til we were tog. My keys were in hand to unlock my door as he quickly ran up to us in the short hall and stopped with the knife against my friend's belly. He had her tie me up with a headscarf hands behind back and had me belly down face away under my desk while he... way with her.
    Then he told me to sit up. I had been praying the whole time and God told me to "Tell him!" I kept arguing with God, but He kept insisting I "Tell him!". I knew that meant I was to witness to him, but I was so afraid. Finally God won out. I told him I had something to tell him, and he said if he did not like it we were dead. Later found he had blackbelt and we would have been in trouble had we tried to fight and flee.
    So I said I had to tell him anyway. The other girl went sheet white. She knew I would open my mouth and we would die.

I told him that God did not like what he was doing but that God loved him and had sent His son Jesus Christ to come and die for him on the cross just as he had come to die for my sins. I told him that if he would turn from what he was doing and invite Jesus into his life he would be saved.

He continued in our room to hold us (one or other) at knife point for 3 hours.

We later did turn him in to police because we figured we could keep him off the streets and from hurting other women if we did so. We had promised the whole time that we would not tell, or course. As a Christian I was bothered by breaking my word. But she and I both did not want him hurting anyone else, but learned later he had done enough to some other girl that she was still in hospital when we went to court. That was several month stay for her.

At court he never said he did not do it. He claimed insanity basically backed by two psychs who each said they had spent only 5 min with him, but verified he was crazy. We got no psych help or anything.
    He said to the court that he would have done a lot more to us than he did but he was "afraid God would strike him down with lightning if he did". See, God knew best.

Anyway sad thing is he was sent to asylum where he should have stayed 18 months and then been reevaluated by the gov of Mich. He was let out in 9 months. B the courts had said he was not found guilty ( but had an uncontrollable urge) he got back into MSU on full scholarship (they had to maintain their quota for black students) and I guess continued to study law since that was his field of study when he attacked us.

Now you know the story.
    KFIN

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    The best place to start is going to a gun store/shop and find a gun you are comfortable holding. Next read the manual that comes with the gun or ask questions on here to learn more about guns.

Training and practice is were you will learn to be comfortable shooting and carrying your new firearm.

There are several good places to get training when starting out, just don't worry about being the only female or one of a few in the class. You are their to learn and get comfortable carrying a gun for your protection.

If you are ever over my way (New Castle). I'm more than willing to make a trip to the FOP range with you.

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I will definitely back up going to one of Matt's trainings (pierce195). I've been once and Lars has been twice... both times we were thrilled with the class. He's very thorough and is very easy to talk to about any questions you have. :)

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    KFIN,

Standing in a gun shop and test driving guns is just about worthless. You need to shoot a gun to understand what it will be like to shoot it. In addition you should be very skeptical of the advice you will get at gun stores. Most women end up with guns that are small or cute but not good for actually shooting people. A small percentage end up with guns that are huge and tough to manipulate and shoot. Again, not ideal for carry or fighting.

If you can't come to the range with me, do an NRA first steps or Basic Pistol class. They are NOT about defense but should demystify guns a bit and make you more comfortable around them.

No doubt, there is better and worse training out there, but it is rare that training does more harm than good. Take a class somewhere. Make it a priority and make it happen.

Last edited:

KFIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Shay I looked at the Tactical Response page, and it says TN but you say north of Indianapolis? Why would you offer training to me for free?
    Would you help me pick out a gun on that trip, or should I already have one and ear protection etc.?
    I am tempted to take you up on this. I have a daughter in northern IN and I could go a bit farther and visit her.
    KFIN

KFIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Pierce, I think New Castle is closer to me still, so I may be in touch and ask if you can go to a range with me. Thanks for the offer. KFIN

Top Bottom