• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral

So I decided to test the waters with a newer company in the AK community called Advanced Weapon System (AWS). The company is ran by two brothers who are veterans. They have been building AK’s for a few years and decided to make it a full time job recently. So I had to give them a try, especially being based out of Indiana. I had to test a fellow Hoosier’s work.

Parts Used In Build

• New WBP Polish parts kits (Including WBP Forged front trunnion)
    • Hogue Over Molded Grip
    • Red Star Arms FCG Retainer Plate
    • Radom Polish Rivets (Mil-Spec)
    • Barrel that is 4150 Nitride Un-Named (same used on Atlantics rifles)
    • And a U.S. Muzzle Device
    • Polished Single stage Arsenal trigger (polished hammer and trigger getting rid of all the burs)
    • Side Rail (Mine wasn’t given a side rail due to wanting the classic look)

Receiving And First Impressions

The model I have received is the AWS AKM Classic. This rifle came equipped with a beautiful set of Radom Polish wood. The deep black cerekoat brings the color of the wood out tremendously, and the fit and finish was tight and everything lined up smoothly. The Arsenal trigger was my biggest fear because I replaced mine in my SLR, but my worries quickly went away. With the polished trigger and hammer set it was a crisp dry fire and reset was spot on every single time. It also comes with a Magpul 30 round magazine, I’m not too fond of them but hey the Arsenal comes with a 10 round magazine so I really can’t complain. Also, IT DOES INCLUDE A CLEANING ROD AND BAYONET LUG.

Firing For The First Time

Firing this rifle was a pleasure. The recoil is not obnoxious, the trigger is nice and light, and I don’t have to worry about the weird reset of a normal Arsenal trigger. I didn’t get pictures of groupings as the steel was shot up, but it seems very accurate keeping them all on steel at 50 yards. The only malfunction I had out of this rifle was after dragging it through a nasty creek and mud got caught in the chamber, after rinsing it out it ran like beautifully for the rest of the trip. The rifle now has little over 1,300 rounds and having it for two weeks with no malfunctions beside the mud in the chamber at the creek (and that can stop any gun).

Cleaning

After taking apart the gun after the outing, everything cleaned up and is looking brand new! The rails, trunnion, feed ramp, rivets and locking lugs all look great with no chipping or gouges taken out. I can provide pictures upon request.

Final Thoughts

When buying a firearm, I view it as buying a tool.

• Will the tool do its job if a job occurred?
    • Will I have to worry about the tool not doing its job?
    • And will that tool do the job accurately?

Well with this rifle I feel as if all of those answers are yes. In the time of need it would be a hard choice for me from the AWS, Arsenal, or my Saiga. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Thank you for reading my review, and any pictures can be posted upon request.

Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    I actually ordered another rifle, they are currently building it I will post pictures as soon as I get it, I will say it's not a "purist" build but it fits the needs I want

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    My buddy was telling me they wanted to charge him 200 bucks to put a spiker and the sight post on his mak 90 I personally think that is to much for that little of a job....but some of the amds they do look very good imo

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom