• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Just had my middle girl graduate from Basic Military Training for the USAF in San Antonio. She is going to be with the 181st Air Intelligence Wing at Terre Haute ANG. Proud papa! (7 yrs active duty myself)
    Anyone here with that group over at Terre Haute?

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I think they are transitioning to drones there. I told her if she sends any over my house, that it might accidentally suffer a loss of control!
    It took almost a year from the time she raised her right hand to get her a class date. We had almost given up on the idea, and then they called on a Wed, and said be on the flight first thing Monday.
    Lackland sure has changed from 30 years ago!

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yes it has. I went there for retraining last summer. The new super barracks are crazy. I heard it's a lot easier now a days too because of all the recent scandals

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    she told me that they only got one day on the range! Officially, the MTI's aren't supposed to get up close and in their faces,and officially a trainee can complain if they do, but Lord help you if you choose to do so!
    The thing that was so amazing was to watch the other families coming from all over the country and seeing the looks of joy and pride on their faces. It was a very moving experience. Gives me hope!

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    bhowell34, so you are in AF Reserve? Are you in school, or out already? What goes on up there at Grissom now? I know there used to be alot of flying(A10s and tankers)

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Just had my middle girl graduate from Basic Military Training for the USAF in San Antonio. She is going to be with the 181st Air Intelligence Wing at Terre Haute ANG. Proud papa! (7 yrs active duty myself)

My daughter is posted there in the Army.

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yes. I served 4 years active and now I'm at Grissom. I go to school now full time. We have kc 135's. Sadly the A10's left awhile ago when the active duty left.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Irahm, I wonder if the Army and ANG ever do any work together? Maybe they will cross paths. She will be in the photography/public affairs section.
    bhowell34, are you up at Purdue? What's your MOS?

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    No I go to IUPUI. I'm Base Safety. Basically like the OSHA of the base. And to answer your other question many bases have tenant units with them. Like Grissom has Army and Marines on it.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    What unit is that? I know there are several there. Wish I had known about the ANG or AF Reserve before I signed up for 7 years of active duty!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

My father was there when it was the 181st fighter wing, he is at the base in Ft Wayne now. He deployed to OIF 1 with the 181st and was with them from 1994 till the weeks after they lost their jets. He really liked the unit a lot and has a lot of memories.

He is in line for E-9 next year and will hit 35 years of service then (active for 5).

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think they are transitioning to drones there. I told her if she sends any over my house, that it might accidentally suffer a loss of control!
    It took almost a year from the time she raised her right hand to get her a class date. We had almost given up on the idea, and then they called on a Wed, and said be on the flight first thing Monday.
    Lackland sure has changed from 30 years ago!

NEGATIVE on the drones. I retired from Terre Haute in 2007 when it was a Fighter Wing right when the transition was starting to happen. Terre Haute lost all the aircraft and are an Intelligence wing. What that means is the bulk of civilian Federal technicians became title 10 Active Duty for the intelligence side. they look at pictures from sats, planes or drones decide if it is a target within the ROE and give the green light. suppose to be 15 min or less from time of the picture and iron on target.

There was a lot of groaning when Terre haute lost the planes but in reality Terre haute in doing so is secured for a lot of years to come with any more BRAC. terre Hautes new mission is the wave of the future.

Congrats to the young lady on her service :patriot:

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    My father was there when it was the 181st fighter wing, he is at the base in Ft Wayne now. He deployed to OIF 1 with the 181st and was with them from 1994 till the weeks after they lost their jets. He really liked the unit a lot and has a lot of memories.

He is in line for E-9 next year and will hit 35 years of service then (active for 5).

That sounds like quite a career he has had! Its always heartbreaking when an AF wing loses its planes. The 181st had a long flying history. I have heard others like your dad say the same thing; it was like a second family.
    I hope they can keep both units open.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    NEGATIVE on the drones. I retired from Terre Haute in 2007 when it was a Fighter Wing right when the transition was starting to happen. Terre Haute lost all the aircraft and are an Intelligence wing. What that means is the bulk of civilian Federal technicians became title 10 Active Duty for the intelligence side. they look at pictures from sats, planes or drones decide if it is a target within the ROE and give the green light. suppose to be 15 min or less from time of the picture and iron on target.

There was a lot of groaning when Terre haute lost the planes but in reality Terre haute in doing so is secured for a lot of years to come with any more BRAC. terre Hautes new mission is the wave of the future.

Congrats to the young lady on her service :patriot:

That is good to hear about the long term outlook. I had a source over there tell me that they were conducting some seismic tests and he said it was prep for drone activity. Hadn't heard anything more one way or the other.

Top Bottom