• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I was talking to an instructor at the gun club today and he was telling me about this 'strategy'. He said that he relays some of this during his handgun safety course (which is required by the state to get your permit here in Tennessee). The video is long at 45 minutes but I found most of it very informational.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XmQra5WMU&feature=related[/ame]

I know the video does not 100% pertain to guns. But this seems a good rule of practice if any of us , God forbid, was involved in a situation where we had to use one.
    Just thought I would share this with people on INGO, it's funny how simple words can get twisted and come back to haunt you.

Last edited:

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Excellent advice. I watch a lot of cops, the show on tv and see how LEO abuse the rights of citizens all of the time. It is amazing how many ignorant people are out there that don't know they can refuse an officer from searching their property or answering their questions.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Excellent advice. I watch a lot of cops, the show on tv and see how LEO abuse the rights of citizens all of the time. It is amazing how many ignorant people are out there that don't know they can refuse an officer from searching their property or answering their questions.

How is it abusing the rights of someone if the officer asks to search car/house/property and is then granted permission? Being ignorant and being stripped of your rights are two succinctly different things.

Watching Cops to learn about the police is like watching Pawn Stars to learn about working at a pawn shop. Probably not really realistic in scope or scale in either instance. :twocents:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    How is it abusing the rights of someone if the officer asks to search car/house/property and is then granted permission? Being ignorant and being stripped of your rights are two succinctly different things.

Watching Cops to learn about the police is like watching Pawn Stars to learn about working at a pawn shop. Probably not really realistic in scope or scale in either instance. :twocents:
    you do realize cops can and will lie and use false threats of arrest to intimidate people to give up thier rights? most people are not prepared to deal with that. go watch that video and learn something.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    you do realize cops can and will lie and use false threats of arrest to intimidate people to give up thier rights? most people are not prepared to deal with that. go watch that video and learn something.

He's right though. Voluntarily surrendering one's rights by refusing to exercise them--even if out of ignorance and/or a misplaced reverence for LE's authority--isn't an abuse of one's rights.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    He's right though. Voluntarily surrendering one's rights by refusing to exercise them--even if out of ignorance and/or a misplaced reverence for LE's authority--isn't an abuse of one's rights.
    i do agree that people should know thier rights and use them. but considering the quality of education in public schools these days i think they know more about american idol and rap music than they do about the constitution or bill of rights.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    This video has been posted thousands of times over hundreds of boards, yet I never call
    dupe.gif
    because people should watch this over and over and over again. I saved it to my hard drive back in the early 1900's.

Zimmerman is facing Murder 2 right now because he talked to the cops and Corey is using that against him.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    The problem with this view of never, ever speaking to police is that you may need to present an affirmative defense, and vital evidence may be lost unless you point it out to officers and identify witnesses who can corroborate your account of what transpired. While it is best not to volunteer too much, it can be just as harmful to say nothing at all...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZXZMYyRl4[/ame]

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yep, NEVER talk to the police, ever, about anything. Thats great thinking, cause when you are involved in a shooting, and all the evidence to point to your innocence gets missed, then im sure you will have an easy time trying to explain it in a sterile court environment to the people that could not get out of jury duty. I would have to go with what Massad Ayoob has said before, tell them why you were involved in the shooting, IE self defense, then point out evidence and witnesses, say that you want to help more, but would like to confer with your attorney first.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Your attorney can speak for you.

Will your attorney be able to find witnesses for your defense if the police do not identify them? If there is a crowd of people, they are going to be holding back from the crime scene, not knowing which ones seen it, and which ones are just the lookie loos. Also, great idea cause we all know juries trust attorneys. Not saying that you should say all, but you should point out some things before invoking

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Will your attorney be able to find witnesses for your defense if the police do not identify them? If there is a crowd of people, they are going to be holding back from the crime scene, not knowing which ones seen it, and which ones are just the lookie loos. Also, great idea cause we all know juries trust attorneys. Not saying that you should say all, but you should point out some things before invoking

Find ONE case where this helped and I'll buy your side of it.

Cops are the ones who find witnesses and collect evidence, it is not your job to prove your innocence. If they talk to everyone on scene like they are trained to do and some people saw it then they will corroborate your story. All of the evidence on scene should also back up your story so there should be no need to explain much of anything until you have calmed down and spoke with your attorney.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Individual officers don't even open their mouths after they use their own firearms in an altercation. They wait to speak with their own attorney first.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Individual officers don't even open their mouths after they use their own firearms in an altercation. They wait to speak with their own attorney first.

Usually they have their OWN lawyer, the department lawyer AND a union rep. Plus the several day to 2 week 'cool down' period before they are expected to testify on record.

They take this advice, why shouldn't you?

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012

As mentioned, they can lie and use intimidation methods to obtain that permission, scaring them into submission.
    Cops is not scripted like Pawn Stars is. Big difference in how one "acts" in front of a camera.
    It is all on how much you pay attention, as I've learned plenty from watching cops, but it doesn't sound like you are getting much from watching Pawn Stars. :twocents:

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon

Usually they have their OWN lawyer, the department lawyer AND a union rep. Plus the several day to 2 week 'cool down' period before they are expected to testify on record.

They take this advice, why shouldn't you?

Exactly. And the officer talking in the second half (@ 27:30) is more reason to not say a word. He flat out says how they take your "trust" for granted.

One should only do a few things: 1- Holster your weapon (do not hold it in your hand, the responding police have no idea you are the 'good' guy. 2- Hand the officer three things ID, Permit, Attorneys card/number. 3- Remain silent.

Like it was mentioned before, look where talking got the guy in Florida.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    One should only do a few things: 1- Holster your weapon (do not hold it in your hand, the responding police have no idea you are the 'good' guy. 2- Hand the officer three things ID, Permit, Attorneys card/number. 3- Remain silent.

Like it was mentioned before, look where talking got the guy in Florida.

I don't think the guy in Florida would be any better off not talking. If he didn't talk, there may never be photos of the injuries to the back of his head or face. There would never have been paramedics documenting that Zimmerman was in fact bleeding. Also, how will it look in front of a grand jury that the responding officers claim you didn't say anything to your defense? No "I was scared I was gonna die." or "I thought for sure he was going to kill me." Instead, the officer/detectives say you just handed over your ID, a business card of a lawyer, and remained mute.

I would suggest people immediately contact their attorney, don't wait for the police to do that. I have no idea what lawyers do in these situations once they arrive on scene, or if lawyers would even do that, but it sounds to me that one would want to get at least part of the account on the record after initially consulting with the lawyer. Of course if the lawyer advises against it, then don't say anything, but it strikes me that if one is totally mute during the whole thing, a jury may look at that as a negative against the shooter. Here we have someone who won't give a statement, yet is claiming they were in a stressful life or death situation involving the need to shoot someone, but yet they were of the mental capacity to say absolutely nothing?

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    As mentioned, they can lie and use intimidation methods to obtain that permission, scaring them into submission.
    Cops is not scripted like Pawn Stars is. Big difference in how one "acts" in front of a camera.
    It is all on how much you pay attention, as I've learned plenty from watching cops, but it doesn't sound like you are getting much from watching Pawn Stars. :twocents:

I think you're arguing in favor of my argument. You, personally, know the police can use certain methods to obtain permission/access. You are NOT ignorant or misinformed, you know your rights and can exercise them in this regard. That was the gist of my argument. Maybe someone could be persuaded into giving permission, but at least part of the weight of that decision should rest with them.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't think the guy in Florida would be any better off not talking. If he didn't talk, there may never be photos of the injuries to the back of his head or face. There would never have been paramedics documenting that Zimmerman was in fact bleeding. Also, how will it look in front of a grand jury that the responding officers claim you didn't say anything to your defense? No "I was scared I was gonna die." or "I thought for sure he was going to kill me." Instead, the officer/detectives say you just handed over your ID, a business card of a lawyer, and remained mute.

I would suggest people immediately contact their attorney, don't wait for the police to do that. I have no idea what lawyers do in these situations once they arrive on scene, or if lawyers would even do that, but it sounds to me that one would want to get at least part of the account on the record after initially consulting with the lawyer. Of course if the lawyer advises against it, then don't say anything, but it strikes me that if one is totally mute during the whole thing, a jury may look at that as a negative against the shooter. Here we have someone who won't give a statement, yet is claiming they were in a stressful life or death situation involving the need to shoot someone, but yet they were of the mental capacity to say absolutely nothing?

Its called 'Innocent until PROVEN guilty' not 'suspicion of guilt until proven innocent.'

It doesn't matter who THINKS you are guilty, it matters what they can prove. No info, no case against you.

Top Bottom