• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Initial reports didn't make it clear that he shot himself, only that he was shot and police were still working out the details. I have to admit, I was hoping to find out somebody legally carrying a pistol took him out.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Allow me to compile my thoughts and sources on this subject between the multiple electronic communications I've had on this subject.

Sources:

3 Guard members killed in Nevada IHOP rampage - San Jose Mercury News

Gunman in Carson City IHOP shooting reloaded at least once | Reno Gazette-Journal | rgj.com

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=J7&Date=20110906&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=109060803&Ref=PH&odyssey=mod|mostpopphotos

Thoughts:

I guess "You don't need a weapon to buy a cheeseburger or a cup of coffee" but you do need a weapon to buy some flapjacks at the IHoP?

People who purposefully try to disarm law abiding people make me sick. The military's stance on weapons is deplorable. The reasons behind why every one of those active duty soldiers didn't have a sidearm on them are mind boggling to me.

Let's not quibble over irrelevant racial or religious reasoning..... we here all know damn good and well that all it takes is some guy arguing with his wife, losing his job or getting beat up for a gunman situation to be created.

Eddie said:
    And for that matter no one else in the restaurant was armed? The nearest armed individual seemed to be the guy across the street.

Right! And that jackass saw the situation unfolding, saw the shooter get out of the van with a rifle and shoot that woman and did NOTHING! And what did doing nothing lead to? Several dead people, several more injured and the gunman even tossed a few rounds his direction before he was through.....

bilde

This photo of the perps vehicle just makes me sick..... don't overlook the yellow "Support our troops" magnet......

bilde

grimor said:
    The military in this country isn't supposed to be roaming the streets armed while in uniform. It gives the wrong message to the people. I carry (openly) a majority of the time in civilian clothes, but unless I'm issued a weapon as part of my performance of duties in uniform, I am not allowed to carry a weapon.

I see no reason for law abiding citizens who are serving in our military and have received more firearms training than 99% of all non military/LEO civilians to be restricted by the government from carrying a sidearm regardless of their duties or location.

I do NOT believe that we need droves of stateside military personnel rocking full battle rattle kicking around but I see no valid reason to restrict a law abiding, well trained citizen their right to defend themselves while they are serving our country or any other time for that matter.

I do not want to see our military members creating a "police state" but I strongly believe in their right to self defense.

H
    ow many people could have been saved if the armed citizen across the street had taken action? How many people could have been saved had the trained and uniformed military personnel been armed? How many people could have been saved if all citizens took responsibility for their own safety and were prepared to deal with an armed threat both mentally and physically?

Obviously the BBQ shack owner was prepared physically but was mentally incapable of dealing with the situation at hand.

MINDSET, TRAINING, TOOLS in that order.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    The report I read quoted him as saying something along the lines of "I had my pistol but did not want to face an AK".

his quote is :
    “I had my pistol; I wasn’t going up against an automatic rifle,” Ralph Swagler said. “I’m sorry. I wish I would have shot him in the back now as he was going toward IHOP, but I wasn’t clear on the situation.”
    Since you didn't read the links in my post. He looks back and wishes he had shot him in the back as he was going toward IHOP.....

EDUARDO SENCION MURDERED that first woman less than 30 yards from Ralph Swagler before marching into the IHOP and yet he wasn't clear enough on the situation to try and stop him.....

:(

This is truly bringing a tear to my eyes knowing that someone had the physical tools to stop this event after one body had hit the ground but he wasn't mentally prepared.

If this doesn't slam you fence riders onto the "Get some training" side of the fence I don't know what will.

Murderer Eduardo Sencion:
    bilde

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OK, the perp was born in Mexico and working for a family business in South Lake Tahoe. Declared bankruptcy in 2009; had 40K debt and was living on 900/mo disability. 32 years old. The van belonged to his brother. Possible he was emotionally disturbed.

Having said that, it concerns me that this guy, who was a resident of the US, was so upset at the government that he drove up to Carson City - in a state he presumably wasn't living in, because South Lake Tahoe is in California - and shot up a bunch of people, specifically a group of Guardsmen in uniform. Are people going to get upset at government, either because it won't give them the benefits they believe they deserve, or because they hate government control, and start shooting at whatever representatives they can find? This isn't a good thing as it is, I hope it doesn't represent the beginning of a trend.

I disagree with the idea that military personnel get more firearms training than 99% of all gun owners/LEOs - that just flat isn't true; most unit personnel get to qualify with their assigned weapon twice a year, to the tune of 40 rounds (for a pistol). That's not enough to be proficient, much less to be familiar with all the other safety and ROE issues. Having said that, I totally agree that any military member should be able to carry a handgun for self defense on or off post. Any service member convicted of misusing a firearm should be prosecuted under Federal Law or the appropriate UCMJ regulations, but they should have the right to carry, just the same.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    his quote is :
    Since you didn't read the links in my post. He looks back and wishes he had shot him in the back as he was going toward IHOP.....

EDUARDO SENCION MURDERED that first woman less than 30 yards from Ralph Swagler before marching into the IHOP and yet he wasn't clear enough on the situation to try and stop him.....

This is truly bringing a tear to my eyes knowing that someone had the physical tools to stop this event after one body had hit the ground but he wasn't mentally prepared.

If this doesn't slam you fence riders onto the "Get some training" side of the fence I don't know what will.

bilde

As sad as it makes me I feel much the same.

Some words came to mind when I read this. I will not repeat them. Maybe my mind will be changed with some time to think about it, but it is unlikely.

This has nothing to to with buying the perfect firearm, getting the perfect training, or practicing your draw. Everyone who carries need to mentally prepare yourself today for the fact that you may one day, need to end someones life. That you may even need to do so against bad odds. I fear that far to many of us aren't prepared.

I recall the kid involved in the Arizona shooting of Giffords. He was in the supermarket and heard shots, did not know what he was up against but still went outside mentally prepared to end a life if the situation required it. I am afraid too many are not prepared.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    his quote is :

This is an example that just being armed does not mean they are capable of self defense. The mind is SO important in any fight. I will take an unarmed "Warrior" over an armed "sheep" any day. At least the unarmed warrior is capable of improvisation in the face of a deadly threat. I am speaking of course of mindset...not profession.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    This is an example that just being armed does not mean they are capable of self defense. The mind is SO important in any fight. I will take an unarmed "Warrior" over an armed "sheep" any day.

We both know that the warrior is never truly unarmed even if fighting while naked and with empty hands.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When you are faced with the situation of having to go up against a s semi-auto rifle with a handgun, I will be glad to listen to what you did.

Mind set is something we all must practice. Awareness, preparedness. And willingness to do what needs to be done are important, but until you are actually confronted with the need you can only think and hope what you will do.

I have been training for many years and I can see myself giong tactical in this instance and taking out the bad guy, and I certainly hope that I would prevail.

But until I am there I don't KNOW.

Top Bottom