• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Don't we have the ability to fire nukes right back at the moon? If they wanted to target something here from the moon we could fire back in kind. Also, there has been a policy of no weapons in space by all sides so I am not worried about somebody settling the moon when any installation there can be wiped out easily.
    No, as a matter of fact we don't. That would require a heavy lift rocket and we don't have any. Obama canceled that program. ICBM's lift to LEO, at best to release their payload. They're not designed to lift a payload past that point. By the time you get done getting a package together the bad guys would have pulverised the country. They don't need a "weapon". Space is filled with stuff to chuck at Earth, as Fletch pointed out.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Throwing space junk back at us??? We have the ability to hit satellites but not launch a missile at the moon? That is new to me so I guess I learned something today. So we have no ability to put missiles on satellites we send up that can shoot at targets on earth or the moon? I thought we had that ability a long time ago but agreed not to weaponize space.

I think a few of you are misunderstanding my point....I am all for space exploration and better shuttles but think going to the moon is dumb.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Your arguments keep countering your desire to get out of space exploration on a gubmint level :D

It may sound that way, but honestly I'd rather private interests held the upper hand for a change. Ever wonder why virtually every sci-fi story that deals with a Mars colony contemplates some form of rebellion or war against Earth governments? Look at the nature of Earth governments long enough, and it seems virtually inevitable. I would love nothing more than to have NASA show up on Mars, only to find a McDonald's already set up and waiting for them. I see space exploration and colonization as the last best hope for true liberty -- escaping Earth's tyranny and corruption once and for all, protected by sheer magnitude of distance, if nothing else.

I know, I'm a dreamer.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think a few of you are misunderstanding my point....I am all for space exploration and better shuttles but think going to the moon is dumb.

It depends on what can be done on the moon. Private enterprise will lead the way, because private enterprise is where useless is turned into useful.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It depends on what can be done on the moon. Private enterprise will lead the way, because private enterprise is where useless is turned into useful.

I don't have a problem with private industry going to the moon or paying to get flights to the moon but I do have problems with our tax dollars going there. NASA has given us a lot of amazing inventions that we use everyday and I don't want to give that asset up. Also, I don't believe in us paying the Russians to take our astronauts up to repair our equipment. IMO, that actually gives us a huge disadvantage as far as strategy in space.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I am guessing that if you pole all the astronauts you will get people to come down on both sides of the issue...

I am guessing that if you pole all the astronauts, some of them are really going to be mad. If you don't believe me, poll them. :):

akaindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Here is a copy of the letter I just sent Mike Pence.

Stop the destruction of the US space program.

Thursday Obama made a speech about why he was canceling the Constellation, Orion and Ares Rockets system. In that speech he outlined his plan for NASA but I must be clear, he is wrong. Completely wrong to cancel the Constellation, Orion, Ares rocket and too cancel the return to the Moon. Either this man has no knowledge of science or he truly does not want the US to be at the forefront of space and aviation technology.

He made the claim in the speech that we don’t need to go back to the Moon because we’ve already been there. Just because you’ve been some place doesn’t mean you stop going back. Instead he claims that maybe by 2025 and beyond we’ll land on the asteroids or go to Mars with some yet to be developed rocket. With the canceling of the current plan to go back to the moon he is throwing away the US’s lead in space technology, he is miss guided to think his plan will help develop a stronger space program. Private companies don’t have the rockets to put people into space currently and it will be several years before they do have that technology reliable enough to put people in orbit let along build heavy lift rockets. Even if private companies did have rockets to get astronauts into space it would be stupid to eliminate a second program because Private and government competition is what will lead to more advances. Having two programs running simultaneously will provide better results than just one. Both programs will feed one another. This gives us a fall back if one program fails. Plus with private companies if a certain area is not financially viable they won’t expanding into that area where NASA being publicly funded can push into area where there is little up front return on investment but the long term return is great, something companies are hesitant to do these days.

By saying we don’t need to go back to the moon because we’ve already been there Obama shows that he does not understand space exploration. By not going back to the moon he is throwing away the rest of the space program. The moon is the “CRITICAL KEY STEPPING STONE” to exploring the rest of the solar system. Without going back to the moon and setting up a permanent base the US will never succeed with traveling to the asteroid belt or to Mars and expanding the frontiers of human space exploration.

The moon provides a place to test equipment in the rigors of space that that is a lot closer to Earth encase something goes wrong than finding out it doesn’t work half way to Mars. The moon can provide massive amounts of raw materials, massive amounts of energy from solar arrays on the surface since the moon gets nearly constant sunlight. The moon can also provide energy in the form of Hydrogen and Helium-3 which is the fuel needed for fusion reactors. The moon has more to offer than what can be listed on these pages. The moon is the stepping off point for any mission to the solar system. Going from earth to mars is a waste, just like the original hurry up and get to the moon plan of the 1960’s. But taking steps is the better way. First you build a space station in earth orbit, second you build a small station in lunar orbit. Then you can set up a ship that travels between the space stations. From there you build a permanent moon base. Once the moon base is set up you can now expand and build a big self-sufficient base that can mine materials, make fuel, develop technologies, and grow their own food. Teach astronauts the keys things they will need to long journeys to the outer solar system and do it all in our backyard so to speak. Once established a permanent base can build parts for space ships and lift them to moons at a lower cost per pound than from earth. Again the Moon is the critical key to the rest of the solar system.

But and I stress this, without the moon the US will never achieve anything else in space and without the Constellation, Orion and Ares rockets the US will never be able to get back to the moon. This idea of cancelling everything else while you try to develop some leap forward technology is wrong. That leap forward technology may never come. The better plan is to use the well tested technology that NASA is put in the Constellation, Orion and Ares to get us back to the Moon WHILE trying to develop a leap ahead technology.

For example NASA and a private firm are currently developing the VASIMR plasma rocket engine. Great idea and can greatly reduce the travel time to Mars. This would fall under the idea of leap ahead technology. But how is the US going to use this Leap ahead technology when he is cancelling the very rocket the Ares-5 which would be able to but the VASIMR engine into orbit where it could be used to push a ship to mars or the asteroid belt.

Without the base technology of a strong reliable rocket and capsule to get from earth to Orbit the Leap ahead technology OBAMA predicts will be developed is worthless. The Constellation, Orion and Ares series is the culmination of many years of work from the Shuttle and the Apollo programs. For instance the Shuttle was leap ahead technology but as we have seen since the 1980’s the use of the shuttle was more costly than predicted because it was too advanced when developed and people didn’t understand all the issues of the design. Whereas the US should have developed an expendable rocket like the ARES-1 and ARES-5 with a reusable capsule to replace the Saturn-V instead of the Shuttle, this would have given us time to fully understand the design and ramifications of a completely reusable space ship like the Shuttle. The shuttle is to complex and every time it is launch you have to launch all that extra weight of the spaceship that does nothing, when instead a rocket like Ares is the best of both worlds. You have a reusable capsule, a reliable rocket booster that is mostly reusable. The rest of the rocket is expendable plus you’re not lifting all the extra weight of a plane/glider into orbit which is useless, intern with a reduced weight of the vehicle you can now lift bigger amounts of cargo.

As for the claim of that Orion and ARES are old technology, I’ll remind you that Russia uses a rocket essentially designed back in the 60's/70's and it works well, the designs are thoroughly tested and refined and it fact are big on an assembly line in similar fashion as cars. The constellation was a well thought out use of old technology and new technology. The Shuttle was overly complex which drove up its operating cost. Another previous president wanted a leap ahead technology to replace the shuttle and we see were that ended up. Remember that Clinton wanting to replace the Shuttle with "New" technology, we got the X-33. Great idea but the technology was not fully ready for prime time use. While Constellation, Orion and Ares would give us a rocket to use while "new" technology is being developed. How much money was pumped into the X-33 project and then thrown away because it just was not ready? No think about how much money was put into Constellation, Orion and Ares and now will be wasted by canceling it which will set us back for year maybe ever to the point where we will never recover our lead in Space. So now instead of finishing an using the Orion and Ares Obama’s plan is to throw it away and spend millions to have the Russians take US astronauts to space and to spend billions developing a new leap ahead technology rocket that may take 20 years to get or may never be developed. When instead we could be launching astronauts to space on our own by 2015 with the Orion and ARES and developing new technologies along the way.

Since I was a child been a supporter of the US space program. I’m the third generation in my family that has either worked or studied in aviation. My grandfather worked to Wright Pat during and after WWII. After the War his work at Wright Pat was with the engines that took the X-1 past the speed of sound. My father and Uncle were both in the air force. I studied aeronautical technology at Purdue. We all dreamed of being astronauts but knew it would never be for us. But my youngest child currently at the age of 5-1/2 already dreams of being an astronaut and I know he has or should I say had a good shot at it when he grows up. He dreams of going to the moon and to mars and he would be the fourth generation of my family to follow the Aviation path, but now I have to find a way to tell him that the President of the US is destroying the US’s space program and it may never recover.

Please do what is needed to stop Obama from canceling the Constellation, Orion, Ares-1 and Ares-5 rocket.

Top Bottom