• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Red light saves your night vision. I use a red light on my patio when the Fort Wayne Astronomical Society comes out to use my patio to view. If you need to see some piece of gear the red light will let you have good vision and not give you white light blindness which takes from 20-30 minutes to recover from and be able to get back to viewing.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I'd say it's probably just odd taste and you may be just a little to deep into your neighbors business. I have had a couple of instances with neighbors like this where I have been watching and then after investigating I realized that I was wrong for assuming.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Red light = House of ill repute open for business.

Growing up in the sticks, that was the easiest way to find the cat houses in town. If the lights were on, they were open for business. Simple system, IMHO.
    I would be skeptical of the traffic..... plus if the perp enters with nothing in his hands, and leaves with nothing in his hands - does not mean there was not a package delivery - one way or another:gaychase::D

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Red light saves your night vision. I use a red light on my patio when the Fort Wayne Astronomical Society comes out to use my patio to view. If you need to see some piece of gear the red light will let you have good vision and not give you white light blindness which takes from 20-30 minutes to recover from and be able to get back to viewing.

This. The inside of tanks are (used to be?) red so that those operating could go from viewing night activities to the red light and not be blinded.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Could be pilots, too, don't they use red and green for direction on aircraft??

I use yellow lights around here, as they're supposed to keep the bugs down. Doesn't work worth a dang, though..

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Red = grass for sale
    Blue = meth

Ok. Not really... so far as I know. But if someone is gonna be all worried about their neighbors, it's fun to stir the pot :D

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've known lots of folks with red on one side (port) and green on the other (starboard.) I assume they're firefighters or maritime folk.

I'm torn between maintaining a safe-environment in my neighborhood (kids/home values/etc) and the prevailing attitude of the rural South that says, "Mind your own business." It's a hard line to find and one we each find individually. I know I'm one with issues when folks are too curious about my habits.

Paddling-NoRedLightsOnHisGarage-Man

Ok, being one I will bite on this, why would this cause you to think they were firefighters?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works.. I have friends that are both State Police officers and they have blue lights on their garage lights. Never saw a reason to ask them why. I'm just thankful that they are friends.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Ok, being one I will bite on this, why would this cause you to think they were firefighters?

Because the garage entries on firehalls often have the same port/starboard lighting. That and the IAFF decals. ;)

ChicagoA11LeavingStation_ezr.jpg

Origin of Red and Green Lights on the Fire House
    Commissioner Albert Goodrich (1927 - 1931) of the Chicago Fire Department had a nautical background. He applied the marine scheme (red light = port, green light = starboard) to fire apparatus, and the idea became a tradition of the Chicago Fire Department. It is also used to mark the bay doors at most Chicago fire stations.

Common practice far beyond the Chicago borders - I've seen it in the South and the West coast too. Not in Indiana?

Top Bottom