• ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT OF BULLET WOUNDS

I found this posted on another site I belong to, it is a link to a site that details the events under which a guy managed to "accidently" shoot himself. It's told by him, first person, and is illustrated by some rather graphic photos. Not pretty, but a strong reminder of how important the basic safety rules are.

http://negligentdischarge.com/

wolfman

Last edited:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    He did a great job of reporting! Surprising how descriptive it was considering he was talking about his own injuries. I'm glad he shared that information, that took courage. And I bet it saved a lot of others from experiencing what he did.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I showed the website to my two oldest daughters. Lemme tell ya, I don't think I have to worry about them playing with guns! OK OK, I worry a lot less! Can never NOT worry... But I think it got my point across on how dangerous guns can be if you don't follow the three basic safety rules!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT OF BULLET WOUNDS

I found this posted on another site I belong to, it is a link to a site that details the events under which a guy managed to "accidently" shoot himself. It's told by him, first person, and is illustrated by some rather graphic photos. Not pretty, but a strong reminder of how important the basic safety rules are.

http://negligentdischarge.com/

wolfman

Thanks for the link. This should be a wake up call to all of us

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone who's ever had an ND, even if it didn't do anything but hit the ground, will forever be a changed person. Trust me.

-J-

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I would imagine! That's why I don't plan on having one.:)

Too bad that alone won't eliminate the possibility if one happening!!!
    From everything I have ever read, no one is exempt, and everyone that regularly handles a firearm will either have an ND, or suddenly realize they were so close to one that their hart stops for a second, and they will swear afterwords that they can smell burnt gun powder in the air and there is a ringing in their ears that they can't explain.
    :rolleyesedit:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I showed the website to my two oldest daughters. Lemme tell ya, I don't think I have to worry about them playing with guns! OK OK, I worry a lot less! Can never NOT worry... But I think it got my point across on how dangerous guns can be if you don't follow the three basic safety rules!

Three?

All guns are always loaded.
    Do not point if you don't want to destroy.
    Finger off trigger unless sights are on target.
    Know your target and your backstop.

Which did you forget, Savage?

Blessings,
    B

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Anyone who's ever had an ND, even if it didn't do anything but hit the ground, will forever be a changed person. Trust me.

-J-

Yup. Had one at the range. I'd unloaded preparing to go home, wanted to drop the hammer on my P22 to put it in the box and so I pointed down range... It's true what they say: The two loudest sounds in the world are a click that should have gone bang and a bang that should have gone click. My ears were ringing for the next two hours despite my still having my "ears" on when I fired.

I can't control the click that should have gone bang, but I sure can control the bang that should have gone click. Once was three times too many.

Blessings,
    B

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Three?

All guns are always loaded.
    Do not point if you don't want to destroy.
    Finger off trigger unless sights are on target.
    Know your target and your backstop.

Which did you forget, Savage?

Blessings,
    B

None.

All guns are ALWAYS loaded even if you think/know it is unloaded.
    Finger off trigger until you are prepared to fire.
    Always keep muzzle pointed down range or in a safe direction.

Knowing your target and whats beyond is what I teach with the third rule as they fall hand in hand. Pointing your gun at a BG with a crowd directly behind him isn't a safe direction is it? I guess I could expand it to 4 but the oldest girl has a hard enough time remembering how to walk and talk! LOL I was hoping to have her shooting by the 1st of July, but obviously she can't even remember safety rules. That and she's more interested in causing trouble than shooting so I'm almost to the point of why bother. At this point I'm afraid she'll have a negligent discharge, but what scares me more is that she'll laugh about it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...the oldest girl has a hard enough time remembering how to walk and talk! LOL I was hoping to have her shooting by the 1st of July, but obviously she can't even remember safety rules. That and she's more interested in causing trouble than shooting so I'm almost to the point of why bother. At this point I'm afraid she'll have a negligent discharge, but what scares me more is that she'll laugh about it.

Sounds like you're making the right call by not having her shooting, then. I remember your posts about the older two and based on what you've said, I would not take them out shooting. Teach how to be safe around the guns, yes, but put a deadly weapon in hands that you don't (or can't) trust? Nope, not this guy.

Blessings,
    B

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like you're making the right call by not having her shooting, then. I remember your posts about the older two and based on what you've said, I would not take them out shooting. Teach how to be safe around the guns, yes, but put a deadly weapon in hands that you don't (or can't) trust? Nope, not this guy.
    ...and keep your guns locked up, away from their access. If they got ahold of your gun, it would not only be their ND, it would be yours!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ...and keep your guns locked up, away from their access. If they got ahold of your gun, it would not only be their ND, it would be yours!

Which is why my handguns are in a bolted down safe, with electronic 6 digit pin and hidden keylock. After three wrong trys, it shuts down for 15 minutes. The BB guns are stored almost as securely. Lets just say they are locked up outta sight outta mind outta this house! I've decided to hold off on long guns for the moment as I need a full size safe and keeping them at my dads house isn't exactly easy access...

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    OUCH!!! good article. give that fella credit for posting that.
    cut my thumb off with a circular saw about 5 yrs. ago.
    used one hundreds of times but all it takes is one little mistake.
    always think when you have something in your hand that can hurt you.
    or others.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    The guys a Glock Talk member...it was quite a thread. He was very humble about the experience.

I've had one ND, about 6 years ago. It was stupid as hell....I'd just finished cleaning my Taurus .45, and went to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber. Instead of using the decocker, I used my thumb...and blew a hole in a stack of jeans, and lodged a .45 Hydrashock in the frame of my couch. It was the 2nd gun I'd ever owned, and I didn't take much caution in what I was doing. It scared the living bejesus out of me.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, or even mildly surprised. Except for me. I looked at gun handling from a completely different angle from that day forward. I was lucky enough that I was at least following one safety rule, and had the gun pointed in a safe direction...had I blown a hole in my thigh instead of those jeans, I might not be here to post about it.

Top Bottom