• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Went shopping today. The guy behind the counter seemed pretty knowledgeable, but he had about the worst muzzle discipline I've ever seen. Their prices are good, but I sure got sick of having guns pointed at me. To be fair, he pointed them at himself, too.:bash:

No, I'm not naming names except to say it's a LGS, not a much-maligned chain store. This is just a reminder to be careful in the gun store, and remember that just because a guy is surrounded by guns all day doesn't mean he's safe any more than working in a car dealership makes him a good driver.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was at my LGS today, the help was fine, but a lot of customers were pretty careless.

When you see the metro's with their North Face jackets, you can bet one will coonfinger his EDC right at the counter.

And sure 'nuff, a Bieber did.

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Was at my LGS today, the help was fine, but a lot of customers were pretty careless.

When you see the metro's with their North Face jackets, you can bet one will coonfinger his EDC right at the counter.

And sure 'nuff, a Bieber did.

Yeah, I've never seen a toothless Bubba from BFE ever act unsafe around guns. It's always those darn Metro's.....:rolleyes:

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Was at McGalliard Guns yesterday, Looked at two pistols The clerk just handed them over the counter without clearing them...
    Rather disconcerting.. I know all those guns in the cases are empty.....RIGHT?????

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Was at McGalliard Guns yesterday, Looked at two pistols The clerk just handed them over the counter without clearing them...
    Rather disconcerting.. I know all those guns in the cases are empty.....RIGHT?????

I immediately start dry firing them in that instance.... :ar15:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy

Each time I've been in there I've dealt with the fellow who carries the 10mm 1911 - and he clears every gun he hands me. :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At one of my favorite LGS last week. Customer did the tactical sweep of the entire room when handed a gun. It was checked/cleared but really. He was asked to return the gun and sent packing out the door. He was not a happy person about it but was terribly outnumbered by armed patrons with frowns on their faces. Play stupid at home please.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Speaking of gun safety, did any of you watch the last episode of "Family Guns"? If these guys are pro's I sure want to stay with the amateurs. They were having a fake "Duel" with very old flintlock pistols, they loaded them, then took the paces away from each other, turned and pointed the guns AT EACH OTHER, prior to turning again and taking a shot at the target. There is no way in Hexx I would ever point an UNLOADED muzzle at a person without meaning harm, why would they allow this on TV?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Ok I'll play the Devil's Advocate here. I've worked in a couple busy shops and countless gun shows over the years and most people, especially new buyers, don't know the rules of gun safety. I see just as many "experienced" gun owners commit the same errors as new buyers/owners do. I think a little education is much more effective than condemnation and ridicule. I'd much rather teach a person who is looking at buying a gun and is probably nervous than to condemn and ridicule them. A little education goes a lot farther then embarrassing them IMO. :twocents:

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok I'll play the Devil's Advocate here. I've worked in a couple busy shops and countless gun shows over the years and most people, especially new buyers, don't know the rules of gun safety. I see just as many "experienced" gun owners commit the same errors as new buyers/owners do. I think a little education is much more effective than condemnation and ridicule. I'd much rather teach a person who is looking at buying a gun and is probably nervous than to condemn and ridicule them. A little education goes a lot farther then embarrassing them IMO. :twocents:

You've nailed it bro^^

Let's all take a vow to help educate all newcomers to guns. And help us all be a better teacher instead of the one who get's all Red Faced and scolds.

TK

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I've noticed this too at a LGS. Persons behind the counter sweeping me and the facility. Also was disturbed by an employee practicing quick draw belly shots (dry firing) without clearing first..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is true statement. Often people take this in-put as a slap on the wrist no matter how carefully you address it. Sometimes we, as experienced gun owners address these things too aggressively out of fear.
    The incident I described up-thread was addressed calmly and the offending patron took it wrong and was a bit of an A$$ after sweeping the entire shop like Rambo. Some will not understand and can refuse constructive in-put while others (for the most part) will realize the dangers involved and learn from the experience.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with a firearm once it's handed to you in a shop? Do you hold it, pointed at the ground, and manipulate it? Dry fire? Point in a shooting stance in a safe direction?

I guess it'd be one thing if you were checking out something you were already familiar with, but if you were handling something you'd never held before, what is YOUR protocol?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I was in an LGS last week and was handed a rifle that the clerk didn't clear before handing it to me. Not a good impression of the store.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    We have enough people out there against us as it is so whenever someone is interested in guns or if someone is behaving inappropriately with a firearm we should try to take the time to educate them in the proper usage and safety issues and hopefully we will all benefit. I am guilty of not doing this at times because with some people I can just tell that my advice would be taken as an insult to their manliness or gun prowess and cause more problems than good. But I do try to take my time with those people that do want to learn or just don't know anything about guns yet.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with a firearm once it's handed to you in a shop? Do you hold it, pointed at the ground, and manipulate it? Dry fire? Point in a shooting stance in a safe direction?

I guess it'd be one thing if you were checking out something you were already familiar with, but if you were handling something you'd never held before, what is YOUR protocol?

I double check that the weapon is truly empty and then go through and test the safeties, if an option, for proper function and then look at the weapons overall condition. Is the finish good, any signs of excessive wear, boogered up screws, cracks in wood, bore in good shape, sights ok, etc,etc. After I look it over I hand it back to the clerk with the action open.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Some shops are usually so swamped with people gawking that there really is no safe direction to point a handgun. Even to take it and point it at the ground would be pointing it at someones feet.

Top Bottom