• Poll closed .

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Is it realistic to post negative feedback for a stocking, local dealer over a lowball trade offer? Or should I just get over it?

I guess his lack of knowledge, attitude and the reasoning for the lowball offer upset me as much as the offer. Sure, I realize that I can say my peace and walk out of the door.... which is what I did and I will probably not return.

Its been one of those weeks...... but I did trade it off to Rex @ PSS (Bobs day off but he was called) and they gave me 60% more than the other shops offer, and they bought the accessories too !!!!

So, vote and LMK what you would do....

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Thats why i dont sell or trade at a gun store anymore. they will always give you far less than what you can sell to a private individual for. but i have been there before i know how you feel.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Had a similar situation, except;
    I went to trade a 30-06 Winchester 70 at the SAME place I bought it, only 3 weeks after I bought it, (decided it wasn't really what I wanted, that was my fault).

I paid 425.00 + tax
    When I went back to trade, I was offered 275.00 and told, "there just isn't a big demand for that gun"
    So, I kept the gun and I have never went back to that store, and I won't either.
    I didn't like it one bit, but it is their store, and they have the right to run it as they see fit!
    However, I am the consumer, and I have the right to spend my money where I feel I am treated fairly.
    I never felt it necessary to slam the store or tell anybody but close friends about my experience.

In hindsight, I am thankful it happened that way, because that is also when I found Plainfield Shooting Sports, and since then I have bought several guns, holsters and ammo from Bob & Rex.

Sometimes things just work out the right way after all.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think most dealers make their money on used guns. With the bigger stores and internet sales I think most of them are making pennies on new guns so they low ball used guns to mark up and offset their margins.

I could be wrong though.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Had a similar situation, except;
    I went to trade a 30-06 Winchester 70 at the SAME place I bought it, only 3 weeks after I bought it, (decided it wasn't really what I wanted, that was my fault).

I paid 425.00 + tax
    When I went back to trade, I was offered 275.00 and told, "there just isn't a big demand for that gun"
    So, I kept the gun and I have never went back to that store, and I won't either.
    I didn't like it one bit, but it is their store, and they have the right to run it as they see fit!
    However, I am the consumer, and I have the right to spend my money where I feel I am treated fairly.
    I never felt it necessary to slam the store or tell anybody but close friends about my experience.

In hindsight, I am thankful it happened that way, because that is also when I found Plainfield Shooting Sports, and since then I have bought several guns, holsters and ammo from Bob & Rex.

Sometimes things just work out the right way after all.
    I'll give $280:)

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I'll give $280:)

Thanks for the offer!
    I would take that, IF, I had it still, but my "nobrothergoodinlaw" has it and I will probably never see it or the money either.

Which if it limits my contact with him, because you see, he doesn't come around much when he owes you money, that in itself ain't such a bad investment!
    :D

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    If you can sell outright you will without a doubt come out better then with a trade in situation. I had a pistol for sale here on Ingo a week or two ago, and it didn't seem to be selling. I went into a local shop that I deal with all of the time to see what they would offer on trade in. Private sale, the gun was worth at least $350, they offered me $225. I decided to leave it on consignment at the shop, and two days later it sold for $330. Dealers have to make a buck too, so I don't blame them. It's just like a car, buy it, and drive it off the lot, and it's worth 20% less then what you just paid.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Why I don't deal in used guns

If the person is selling a particular gun it is worth $400; if this same person is buying this gun it is only worth $300. This is human nature. An individual has zero overhead, a store has quite a bit and has to make a decent profit on a sale. If the store pays you "what it is worth" how can they resell it to someone else?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    If the person is selling a particular gun it is worth $400; if this same person is buying this gun it is only worth $300. This is human nature. An individual has zero overhead, a store has quite a bit and has to make a decent profit on a sale. If the store pays you "what it is worth" how can they resell it to someone else?

This is very true. They have to make a profit to stay in business so you have to know going in that your going to lose some value. Bob will give you as good a deal as your going to get but even with him he is going to come out on top.

Sell privately.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    but I did trade it off to Rex @ PSS (Bobs day off but he was called) and they gave me 60% more than the other shops offer, and they bought the accessories too !!!!

Not to say there are not other great shops here but that is why all my trades have been done at Bob's. I have only sold one gun outright and that was because honest Bob at Plainfield told me straight up I would be better off selling it myself.

Post negative if you want, just make sure you post the positive as well so we all get a well rounded view. Personally there are guns shops I wont do business with because of high prices but I just walk out and deal with another store. Don's Gun's being the exception I will warn everyone I speak to about that place.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast

I understand this, and have no problem with a dealer making a profit. Similar situation with me. I bought a gun from a chain dealer for $425 after tax. Few months later went in to see what they'd give me as a trade in. They said they would give me $150... $100 of which I had to immediately put down on a new gun purchase from them :n00b: .. I walked over to their cabinet pointed to the same gun selling as "Used" for $300. He responded with "well we cant give you what its worth". Now.. at this point.. I got pissed. They already made the profit off the sale from me in the first place ( I had all the receipts) now they were gonna turn around and not only make double what they would give me for the gun, but I had to spend 66% of the trade in value on a new gun. Which left me with $50 cash and $100 towards a new purchase. Not acceptible imo. Thats beyond turning a profit. Thats greed imo. So I would tell anyone to try and sell outright first. I knew that i would get offered a low amount, but to tell me I have to put x amount of money from the trade in down on a new purchase.. isn't right.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    It's how it works man. They don't make money by writing checks. Also, if it's something they have several of or just blatantly don't need. They might pick it up for a good deal, but it's not worth to them more than what they are offering.

I've bought a few cars for a grand there were worth more just because I gave them my number told them to call me if they got sick of trying to sell it and wanted it out of their driveway.

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Dealer Trades

I know how you feel, I have had a similar adventures. For the a few years now I have when possible to trade and buy FTF to avoid the dealers mark up. On the other hand I understand that they have to make a profit so when they have a piece I want, I buy it knowing that additional cost is the part of the price of doing business.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    It is a no win for the store

I understand this, and have no problem with a dealer making a profit. Similar situation with me. I bought a gun from a chain dealer for $425 after tax. Few months later went in to see what they'd give me as a trade in. They said they would give me $150... $100 of which I had to immediately put down on a new gun purchase from them :n00b: .. I walked over to their cabinet pointed to the same gun selling as "Used" for $300. He responded with "well we cant give you what its worth". Now.. at this point.. I got pissed. They already made the profit off the sale from me in the first place ( I had all the receipts) now they were gonna turn around and not only make double what they would give me for the gun, but I had to spend 66% of the trade in value on a new gun. Which left me with $50 cash and $100 towards a new purchase. Not acceptible imo. Thats beyond turning a profit. Thats greed imo. So I would tell anyone to try and sell outright first. I knew that i would get offered a low amount, but to tell me I have to put x amount of money from the trade in down on a new purchase.. isn't right.

Stop and think, if a store gives you "what its worth" and has to resell it then they will be selling it for "more than what it is worth" to make something to cover their expenses and make a small profit. Then they would be accused of gouging the public selling overpriced guns. Do better research BEFORE you buy your gun and buy it once; taking a bath on it is your problem, not the gun stores. If they have to sell the same gun twice then need to make double profit to do so at your expense. You created your own problem by not buying smartly, don't blame the gun store in this case. :twocents:

Top Bottom