• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I don't reload , but I keep my brass when I shoot.
    So now I have some really old Remington nickel casings for 45 ACP , can they be reloaded or are they trash ?:dunno:

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    not deformed , once fired , and put back in the box.
    I had just read something about someone wanting 45 brass but specifically said no nickel cases , so I thought maybe it could not be reloaded, thanks for the help though.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Nickle is more brittle and splits more often than bare brass cases (presuming this is why the fella didn't want nickle). Autoloader cartridges aren't too bad, but the .45Colt I load makes nickle pretty much pointless since it splits after just a few reloads. I've been reloading some of the bare brass cases I have for almost 10 years.

If you have a significant amount (>100), you can probably sell it here in the classifieds section. I've got plenty or I'd offer to buy it from ya.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Nickle is more brittle and splits more often than bare brass cases (presuming this is why the fella didn't want nickle). Autoloader cartridges aren't too bad, but the .45Colt I load makes nickle pretty much pointless since it splits after just a few reloads. I've been reloading some of the bare brass cases I have for almost 10 years.

If you have a significant amount (>100), you can probably sell it here in the classifieds section. I've got plenty or I'd offer to buy it from ya.

Totally agree and I personnally think nickel is tougher on your dies!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I load nickle cases and seldom have any problems but I don't load max loads as a general rule. For Action Pistol I load a 125 JHP in a nickle Federal +P 38 Spl case. These go out at 1100fps. I also use nickle cases for 38 Super in about the same load.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I use nickle cases for 9mm, 357, 44 mag, and 45 acp. Never had to much problems with them. I just check them over everytime I reload them, but I do that with my brass cases. I have some nickle cases I have been loading for years. I have used nickle cases in my 44 mag hunting loads for years. Most times when they do wear out they split down the side so just keep a close eye on them for wear.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I prefer brass for everyday loading and shooting. But, I do buy some new starline nickel once in a while if I want to tuck back some loads for long term storage. I just loaded 500 rounds in .45 ACP using speers 230 gold dots that I bought a few years ago back before the price went thru the roof.

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    How can you tell if nickle is hard on your dies? I use plenty of nickle brass for my .45 and I guess I haven't noticed any differences. Some of it does split, but I assumed it was because it was brass my Dad started loading in the 1950s and eventually passed onto me! Hate to think how many times that brass has been reloaded. He also gave me a bunch of military match brass from about the same era still in the little plain brown cardboard boxes with military markings. Cool stuff and I'm such a Phillistine that I keep reloading it.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Just a hunch is all...nothing scientifically proven. Brittle means less pliability and that means more pressure on the die. That's my logic... that doesn't mean I run away from nickel as I do have a fair amount of it, but I load more brass cases than nickel. I leave the nickel as my "reserves" for lack of a better word.

If it works for you or anyone else reading this I think that's great. I was trained to reload from a fella (NRA Reloading class at my club) that instructed lubing brass in carbide dies to keep wear to a minimum.:dunno: That's probably where I got my "concerns" over nickel.

Top Bottom