• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Not to beat this issue to hard, because sometimes people can make to much out of it, But because those guns have brass frames you want to shoot them with lighter powder loads , and avoid the heavier loads. Shooting the heavier loads can stretch the frame..

Beautiful firearms, the sheriff's model is just butt kicking nice,, That metal will get a nice patina with a few cylinders fired off...

Thanks!! and the manual recommends around 16 grains as a good load to start with but also gives a max load. It was 25 or 30 grains IIRC.

[video=youtube;9WO2hK0Wwco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WO2hK0Wwco[/video]

this is what made me pull those revolvers out in the first place ;)

rkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Clayton
    You can also go NMLRA.org located in Friendship IN. Tey have pistol matches about once a month plus the big shoots in June and Sept. I am sure you can get some help and advice from just about any of the shooters. If you go during the big shoots you can get items to shoot yours. Powder is only available to members.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    THE OUTPOST in brazil will have what you need. 812-420-2250 they are cowboy action shooters, when ammo and primers got high and hard to find a lot of them went to cap and ball. good ole boys too.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I shot apair of Colt 2nd gen 1851 navies for years with SASS. They are my most favoritegun to play with. There were 3 major makers for years in 1970-80's. ASM was notable to keep up with the other 2 and stopped production in the 1990's. If bothguns are .36's I would use 15-18 gr of Goax FFg or FFFg, also 777 FFg or FFFgworks, several other subs for black is out there but I only use 777. Put powderin the chamber then a lubed felt wad, then the ball. Nipples will take either#10 or a #11 cap and you just try to see fit. If you want to talk aboutshooting them send me your number in a PM. I have shot black for about 60 yearsfirst using a Colt 1860 that went through the war with the South.

Do not drop the hammer on a capped chamber with a charged uncapped chamber. You may not like the result. The uncapped chamber can fire with the capped chamber!!!

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Stopped in at The Outpost in Brazil, and they do have everything I need.

I'm going to take the pistols back and have Duane look them over to make sure all is well.

thanks everyone!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Stopped in at The Outpost in Brazil, and they do have everything I need.

I'm going to take the pistols back and have Duane look them over to make sure all is well.

thanks everyone!

Sounds like fun. I've always liked the idea of a cap and ball revolver, but that video has me looking for one.

Top Bottom