• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I am loading up some 9mm para. I have 125gn lead round nose but the only load data I have for that exact round is from Lee which shows 4.7 -4.9gn of Bullseye, which seems a little stout compared to lyman's 3.3-3.9 on a lead truncated cone. I think my wife would like the lighter load in her pistol but the thing that is getting me is what OAL I should use. Can I use the OAL of the trun cone of 1.115 or would it be different because of the round nose I am using?

Can someone help a beginner out here? Thanks...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do NOT use that ! Heck, that is the close to the charge I use for the same weight bullet using UNIQUE ! I would think that would be too much for the faster burning Bullseye...

According to my Speer manual, they list starting at 3.5 and max at 3.8. They list this along with a AOL of 1.130.

Also, if you are a beginner, be aware if using Bullseye, the fact it is such a fast burning powder, you run a risk of a possible double charge so be very careful. A powder that fills the case a bit more, does have its safety perks...

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    Thank you Sir!

I really think I need to throw the Lee book out. In 45acp, they list starting grains and do not exceed as the same... that is when I went and got the lyman book but I got screwed up when they only listed a different bullet profile and I wasn't sure how that would effect the OAL

I appreciate your help once again:yesway:

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I do several visual checks on powder charge in the case for this very reason... I kinda like being paranoid at times. I set-up a system of checks for this very reason. The thing that threw me was the length difference.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't throw the Lee manual out. This is a great example on why a reloader wants more than (1) manual... Sometimes, it can be hard finding a reliable source for a AOL for a given bullet configuration. This is when having several manuals comes in handy. Also, this is why you want to start at the lower end of the charge and work up.

You have a good manual in the Lyman. It is one of my favorites...

Also, someone else will come along that is more familiar with Bullseye. I have never used it. I have always used unique or Blue Dot, but I do know Bullseye is faster burning, thus requiring LESS powder...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do several visual checks on powder charge in the case for this very reason... I kinda like being paranoid at times. I set-up a system of checks for this very reason. The thing that threw me was the length difference.

Length difference ? You have loaded some to the heavier charge ? If so, I don't know if I would shoot them. That charge seems too high !

To give you an example, that 4.7-4.9 range exceeds what Speer says max would be for the LIGHTER 115 gr JACKETED bullet using that powder... This along with the AOL question, would cause me to consider pulling them...

The visual checks are a good thing ! Hopefully, this means you are using a single stage and only have a few to pull. :yesway:

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I haven't loaded any yet... I was referring to a length difference between the trun cone Lyman listed and the round nose I am using. I am going to set the charge at 3.5 and see how the 1.130 sits in the barrel:yesway:

Top Bottom