• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SaltyPup11b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Just started out carrying and I am currently using a HKP2000 with 9mm Hydroshocks. I need opinions on if this is a practical carry gun, or move up to a higher caliber. I am accurate with 9mm but feel it may lack the stopping power in a no **** situation. Any feedback?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Just started out carrying and I am currently using a HKP2000 with 9mm Hydroshocks. I need opinions on if this is a practical carry gun, or move up to a higher caliber. I am accurate with 9mm but feel it may lack the stopping power in a no **** situation. Any feedback?

If you like the HKP2000 then carry it, only you know if it works for you.
    As far as 9mm doing it's job, if you do yours it'll work. 9mm has been around something like a hundred years so there must be something that keeps it around.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Like Dogman said. IF you do your part the 9mm round will do its part. I have carried hydroshocks in a Glock 19 for the majority of the last 8-10 years.
    Matt

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If you like the HKP2000 then carry it, only you know if it works for you.
    As far as 9mm doing it's job, if you do yours it'll work. 9mm has been around something like a hundred years so there must be something that keeps it around.

There's nothing I would add to the above.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For a carry gun and caliber, find one that you can consistently make good, accurate hits with in a reasonable amount of time. And one of quality and reliability that should be consistent with a tool intended to keep you alive.

I carry a Glock 19. Your P2000 should serve you just fine.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I agree with all of the posters here so far, your caliber and firearm should be more than effective if used properly. I wouldn't second guess the choice of carrying a 9mm, especially an Hk. That is a fine firearm and a caliber that is carried by many LEO's and military around the world. Facing an armed assailant, your accuracy and comfort with the firearm you're using are two things that should never be compromised.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    One more thing, what weight Hydrashoks are you using? 124, 135 or 147? Whichever way you go, they all offer excellent expansion and weight retention for superior knockdown out of a 9mm projectile.

Here's some ballistic testing on 9mm:

Various 9x19mm JHPs

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I like 9mm for off duty carry. It will do the job just fine. You just put the rounds where they need to go. I like .45 but haven't found a .45 I enjoy carrying as much CC as a 9mm. 9mm are thinner in hi cap, which I feel is a must.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The 9mm round is a fantastic man stopper. The only improvement may be in your SD ammo choice. If you do some research on the latest SD ammunition, you will find the Federal HST at the top today. Even though Federal charges more for the Hydra-Shok line of ammunition, it is the HST line that gets all the attention. You better hurry if you want some, LE agencies are buying it up fast and Federal is adjusting their sales policies to make it harder for civilians to get... They will sell you Hydra-Shoks all day long though.

Yummy Expansion!
    9mmhstgk1.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The 9 mm is fine if it's loaded with quality ammo. One thing about the 9 mm, however, is that it's stopping power is more sensitive to the load than some of the larger calibers. And, there are a lot of not very effective loads out there for the 9mm.

So, if you want to carry a 9, and I do, you need to be choosy about what you load it with. I think there are currently better choices than the Hydra Shoks in 9mm. The Hydra Shok is an older design, and is known for failing to expand (or expanding unreliably) if the hollow point gets plugged up. Based on the tests I've seen, some loads to try include the Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, HST's, DPX's, and Rangers - all in 124 to 147 grain. The newer bullet designs expand more reliably (even at lower velocities) and the heavier bullets penetrate better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom